This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Watched the commentary video of FZD vs Harimoto.. Would love to see the translation of the commentary of the Koki Niwa - Ma Long match cause I think it was a more interesting match up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
Even with commentary, and commentary which could clarify to the average Joe or Jane to some extent the subletites of the semihidden serve, the Chiquita flip return, the loop drive, the 11-point game, and the coaching time outs to them what’s going on in top level tt, I fear that that commentary, however clear to the commentator, would be clear as mud to average Joe or Jane, who neither plays and almost never watches a sport he/she cannot play, hardly ever has a chance to see played, at least in the United States of America, and thus is not afforded an opportunity to give a damn about.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I enjoyed LGL's "spoilers". He cannot predict 100% right anyways. It feels like he is a screenwriter, while the player in the spotlight sometimes sticks to the scripts but sometimes just changes. And one can always turn down the volume if his comments are overwhelming.

LGL's prediction first came from his ability to read the game and spot the strength/weakness/tendency of a player. For example in SF, he said Pitchford's BH is better than FH. He is tall with long arm to reach BH side even he stands way too right. FZD should attack the middle into his body or his FH, not his BH. In F, he said Jin Ueda looks more familiar with a right-handed partner from his serve return, and indeed his other partner is Maharu Yoshimura. Secondly, LGL is so familiar with the CNT players and team. In the award ceremony, he said the elder players may ask younger players to stand in the middle. Both women's team and men's team did that. When ML was asked in the ITTF interview how to celebrate the victory, LGL said "Some sleep and some rest." and ML said exactly the same. Of course LGL did not expect the beard part. I find this quite amazing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
As a footnote to this event:-

I ordered my tickets months ago, and booked hotels and transport, all non-refundable. But in the month before the tournament, I was very ill, and just fighting to get well enough to attend.

And I am so glad I did. I was there for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Because of my illness and a total tech meltdown at home, I was going into it without real knowledge of who exactly would be playing. When Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen stepped out for the USA match, I had a tear in my eye. The same with the men's team. I doubt we will ever see the likes of them in England again in my lifetime. On Saturday, I was first in the queue an hour before the doors opened, and stayed until the end, which was after 10 PM (thanks to Korea and Japan). Marathon.

For Saturday and Sunday, I sat with the Chinese "fangirls", and they really added an extra dimension and atmosphere. I have to say they were extremely courteous and kind to me, very easy to talk to, and helpful, e.g. searching me out to show me the training hall where the whole CNT was training in the break, And even during the China/England semi, they cheered most loudly for Pitchford, recognising his ability and fighting spirit. (And Sport England will probably still not properly fund table tennis here! despite this being the second time the leopards have won bronze in a team competition in the last two years..) So many thanks to those young women.

The quality of the play at the tournament is there for all to see. I now live to see Ma Long and Ding Ning play in Tokyo 2020 and retain their titles. Long shot (see what I did there?) probably, but they played so well...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Yes, the Chinese fans brought a special atmosphere with their support for the team.
Also, Liu Shi Wen seems to be loved by the Chinese fans. In the semifinals, a girl appeared with, let's say 50 sort of flags (I don't know the word in English) with the name of Liu Shi Wen and her drawing as a comic character showing her medals. I think she was a member of a fan club because in the flags it was printed the words "Baidu Liushiwen Bar". I even asked her to give me one and she did. What a pity that Liu Shi Wen didn't play singles against Hong Kong and Japan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
It was actually surprising that Ding Ning was chosen as the #1 on CNT given her recent form. In her loss to Chen Xingtong she looked 80% ready at best, she wasn't that dominant in China Super League either with a record of 18-5. Meanwhile, Liu Shiwen had 28-2, which is mindblowing considering the level of the competition.

Reactions: RidTheKid
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
LGL gave the reason. There is no way ML or DN could keep up the tip-top form all the time. They treat the CTTSL and the majors differently. See, it's no fun, right? There is logic to everything they do, even behind the scene. It doesn't leave any room for imagination.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
DN is the only lefthanded among the five. CNT just didn't want to risk the doubles at the beginning of the match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It was actually surprising that Ding Ning was chosen as the #1 on CNT given her recent form. In her loss to Chen Xingtong she looked 80% ready at best, she wasn't that dominant in China Super League either with a record of 18-5. Meanwhile, Liu Shiwen had 28-2, which is mindblowing considering the level of the competition.

The #1 spot was actually Zhu Yuling. But on that team, it hardly makes a difference, it probably depended more on who asked to play and the fact that they didn't want to risk anything. And no matter how good LSW is playing (after all, didn't she win Marvellous 12 with an undefeated record), you defer to the Champs under pressure (and the champs right now are DN and ZYL).

Reactions: huaweip9
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
http://world.people.com.cn/n1/2018/0227/c1002-29836982.html
Check what women's coach Li Sun said about the lineup.
DN, ZYL and LSW all had illness. DN even skipped the last two rounds of CTTSL, a decision made by CNT. The coach team was planning to let DN, WMY and CXT play.

DN is the eldest player and Captain. Apparently she is trusted by the coach team even she was not in good form. Also as I said, she is lefthanded and make the doubles pair stronger with a righthanded.
The similar situation for men's. Although XX and FZD won WTTC doubles last year, XX and ML pair is more reliable. Then either ML or XX will play the third, and ML is more trusted to secure 3-0 win.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I have to disagree here - LGL would be amazing to have as an analyst after the match - Heck, give him his own hour long show to analyse the different matches.

But to listen to as a commentator..... He talks too much, and distracts from the game.

Experienced players might benefit from the insight (which is why he should be analysing the game when it's finished), but newcomers to the sport will be bored, and not entertained by his "in match" story telling.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I have to disagree here - LGL would be amazing to have as an analyst after the match - Heck, give him his own hour long show to analyse the different matches.

But to listen to as a commentator..... He talks too much, and distracts from the game.

Experienced players might benefit from the insight (which is why he should be analysing the game when it's finished), but newcomers to the sport will be bored, and not entertained by his "in match" story telling.
That's what I meant, for him to be an analyst on matches, like he did on the ones posted, live or afterwards, doesn't matter to me. I would like to hear his comments.

Jan 2018

Poor me got bashed for saying that.