Which team do you think will win the World Team Championships 2014?

• China

Votes: 172 80.0%
  • Germany

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Japan

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Korea Republic

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Chinese Taipei

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Hong Kong

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Austria

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Croatia

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
I love ML because of his playing style, not his achievements.

Someone on this forum said that: "You are nothing if you will not achieve a Grand Slam. People will forget you 20 yrs from now". But I thing diffefently.

ML is a so special player with a very beautiful strokes, that is inspirational to a lot of table tennis fans. His stroke movements so pefect that it look like the sample
stroke in a textbook guide. That's why there were a lot of his training clips on the net, more than any player'one in the world. People are enthusiastic to watch he playing in arena, are hungry to watch his clips to simulating his movements.

20 yrs from now, there are a dozens of players who get a WC, OG or Grand Slam, titles. Who will remember a long list of them??? Who will watch a match they playing again and again and again...?
I have just watched one or two matches of Waldner, Kong , LQL.. I don't remember.

But 20 yrs from now, even ML wil not achieve a WC, OG or Grand Slam, i believe people will keep watching his matches, his training clips to try to simutaling his stroke movements...

For me, if he keep going to the arena with 100% effort, whatever tounament is, whoever opponent is, he wil be my hero. Go Ma Long!
I am sorry, altough i am big fan of Ma Long and i like most of the post, i have to say that the bolded part is kinda fanboyish and ignorant and i think there is much more to table tennis then striving for technical perfection. For me Kong Linghui has probably the most beautiful game of all the Chinese and about Waldner i think everything has already been said many times.

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
I am sorry, altough i am big fan of Ma Long and i like most of the post, i have to say that the bolded part is kinda fanboyish and ignorant and i think there is much more to table tennis then striving for technical perfection. For me Kong Linghui has probably the most beautiful game of all the Chinese and about Waldner i think everything has already been said many times.

!!!.jpg
I am sorry for this guy

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Remembering someone depends on so much factors. Technique is one of them. If you are a fan of some one you will never forget him. Also you will never forget his best opponent. Example: I will never forget ZJK also ML because he is the nemesis of ZJK.

But for someone who haven't seen ZJK and ML at all. He will probably watch the final of OG and WTTC and is ZJK there. But after some videos he will watch a ZJK vs ML match and will find out ML's form was even better than ZJK.

So both of them will be remembered. ZJK because of his titles and ML because of having the most beautiful form ever.

Reactions: khuonglt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 3 reviews
I love ML because of his playing style, not his achievements.

Someone on this forum said that: "You are nothing if you will not achieve a Grand Slam. People will forget you 20 yrs from now". But I thing diffefently.

ML is a so special player with a very beautiful strokes, that is inspirational to a lot of table tennis fans. His stroke movements so pefect that it look like the sample
stroke in a textbook guide. That's why there were a lot of his training clips on the net, more than any player'one in the world. People are enthusiastic to watch he playing in arena, are hungry to watch his clips to simulating his movements.

20 yrs from now, there are a dozens of players who get a WC, OG or Grand Slam, titles. Who will remember a long list of them??? Who will watch a match they playing again and again and again...?
I have just watched one or two matches of Waldner, Kong , LQL.. I don't remember.

But 20 yrs from now, even ML wil not achieve a WC, OG or Grand Slam, i believe people will keep watching his matches, his training clips to try to simutaling his stroke movements...

For me, if he keep going to the arena with 100% effort, whatever tounament is, whoever opponent is, he wil be my hero. Go Ma Long!

Spot on dude except 4th and 5th paragraph..at 4th, even I am a die hard Ma Long's fan I watched tons of other players too and on 5th paragraph, it is not ML will not achieve OG and WTTC but he surely will someday :) ....i never stop trying to emulate him not because to be look like him but IMHO his strokes are the best and the most beautiful ever :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I said it before and I repeat it here again.
Although I am a big ML fan, I should admit that ML is boring for media.
Let's assume someone interviewed ML after the finals, what would he say?
"Well, I beat everybody 3-0 AGAIN and didn't drop a single game".
But ZJK has learned how to be a showman as well as a sportsman.
Before WTTTC ZJK's fans were saying that he beat ML in trials because this is a
major tournament and he CARES, so he beats everybody. Then, bang, at his best in a major tournament
in the finals he loses to Dima. This is what brings you in the news not doing a perfect
job in kicking butts (!).

Here is a question: Why do we all know Muhammad Ali, even though we know nothing about boxing?
The answer is because he knew how to interview, just watch one of his interviews, he raps, sings, dances
and does everything to destroy opponents. This is what keeps you at the top of news. He was a superb boxer
but, probably, not the all time best (maybe he is, but he is not famous for his titles).
I mean, to be remembered over time, depends on your personality more than your sport performance.
You have to be loved/hated to be remembered! (No one really hates ML!)

ZJK did not lose to Dima intentionally to be top news, but he has learned that some times if you don't care,
it is better for you at the end. Even knowledgeable fans in this forum are biased in saying things like: "man of steel", or
one of the funniest comments "he can beat anyone if he wants to!" And even more surprising is how much LGL believes in him!?
I am still remembering LGL spending a 3-hour private meeting with ZJK before last year's WC! That was a singles title, what the hell,
let the better player win. If ZJK is down, so be it! Is he as supportive of ML as he is of ZJK? Maybe our Chinese folks can answer this. I think there is a trend (by ITTF, LGL, Adam Sahara, ...) in making ZJK a legend.

It is true that winning grand slams is not the only way to be remembered but, let's be honest, if a kid wants to start playing and
following table tennis in year 2030, will he/she look for best forehand shots in 2006-2014 era or look for WC/OG winners during that period?

I really wish ML ends his career as a grand slam winner, although for me he is already a winner.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
------- Don't say this, you are within your rights to be the blindest ma long fan ever and your hyperbole is nice to read and well written , but don't be disrespectful of the legends. Understand the fact that there would be no Ma Long or Zhang Jike if there were no Waldner, Kong Linghui , Wan Liqin, Ma Li, Jiang Jiliang, Jorgen Persson, Jean Michel Saive, etc. etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
------- Don't say this, you are within your rights to be the blindest ma long fan ever and your hyperbole is nice to read and well written , but don't be disrespectful of the legends. Understand the fact that there would be no Ma Long or Zhang Jike if there were no Waldner, Kong Linghui , Wan Liqin, Ma Li, Jiang Jiliang, Jorgen Persson, Jean Michel Saive, etc. etc.

I always have respect for the legends. I just mean i haven't watched them to simulate their strokes. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Remembering someone depends on so much factors. Technique is one of them. If you are a fan of some one you will never forget him. Also you will never forget his best opponent. Example: I will never forget ZJK also ML because he is the nemesis of ZJK.

But for someone who haven't seen ZJK and ML at all. He will probably watch the final of OG and WTTC and is ZJK there. But after some videos he will watch a ZJK vs ML match and will find out ML's form was even better than ZJK.

So both of them will be remembered. ZJK because of his titles and ML because of having the most beautiful form ever.

Nice and generous words from you, Alborz. I feel like you are warming up to Ma Long. I also appreciate the way you view the sport. I don't think we should only think about casual fans who only know about, for instance, the Olympics in table tennis. It makes me sad when people gloat over how player X or Y will be forgotten because they failed to win a certain title, because it's such a reductionist view. I, for one, will remember all of these great players, not just for a handful of matches in the biggest events but for all of the great matches and moments of brilliance and surprises they've given me; for the sheer thrill I feel when I see Ma Long launching himself into a forehand counterloop or Zhang unleashing a backhand over the table.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If you ask this question, you better get ready to hear a list of titles that alborz and other ZJK's fans are going to remind you hahaha

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Yup folks, get ready to grab the popcorn and sit down for a show.

Reactions: bricephan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
I said it before and I repeat it here again.
Although I am a big ML fan, I should admit that ML is boring for media.
Let's assume someone interviewed ML after the finals, what would he say?
"Well, I beat everybody 3-0 AGAIN and didn't drop a single game".
But ZJK has learned how to be a showman as well as a sportsman.
Before WTTTC ZJK's fans were saying that he beat ML in trials because this is a
major tournament and he CARES, so he beats everybody. Then, bang, at his best in a major tournament
in the finals he loses to Dima. This is what brings you in the news not doing a perfect
job in kicking butts (!).

Here is a question: Why do we all know Muhammad Ali, even though we know nothing about boxing?
The answer is because he knew how to interview, just watch one of his interviews, he raps, sings, dances
and does everything to destroy opponents. This is what keeps you at the top of news. He was a superb boxer
but, probably, not the all time best (maybe he is, but he is not famous for his titles).
I mean, to be remembered over time, depends on your personality more than your sport performance.
You have to be loved/hated to be remembered! (No one really hates ML!)

ZJK did not lose to Dima intentionally to be top news, but he has learned that some times if you don't care,
it is better for you at the end. Even knowledgeable fans in this forum are biased in saying things like: "man of steel", or
one of the funniest comments "he can beat anyone if he wants to!" And even more surprising is how much LGL believes in him!?
I am still remembering LGL spending a 3-hour private meeting with ZJK before last year's WC! That was a singles title, what the hell,
let the better player win. If ZJK is down, so be it! Is he as supportive of ML as he is of ZJK? Maybe our Chinese folks can answer this. I think there is a trend (by ITTF, LGL, Adam Sahara, ...) in making ZJK a legend.

It is true that winning grand slams is not the only way to be remembered but, let's be honest, if a kid wants to start playing and
following table tennis in year 2030, will he/she look for best forehand shots in 2006-2014 era or look for WC/OG winners during that period?

I really wish ML ends his career as a grand slam winner, although for me he is already a winner.

Sorry mate i did not agree. Muhammad Ali is well known because he is an entertainer, not because of his interview skills. He would use all 11 boxing round (if I'm not mistaken) to keep all spectator's entertained with his boxing shows. Not like mike tyson that in one or 2 round will ko'ed his opponents. It's the same as most of the sports legend. Waldner also known because he displays his skill not just for winning but to entertain people. That is the thing that lacking in Ma Long. But in Ma Long I can see a sportsman that display the most important quality of all, the commitment and his passion on winning in every single game he plays. Never mind if he did not won the grand slam, even if he did not won it he can always be remembered as the most dominant player in an era that never won a grand slam :):):)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Sorry mate i did not agree. Muhammad Ali is well known because he is an entertainer, not because of his interview skills. He would use all 11 boxing round (if I'm not mistaken) to keep all spectator's entertained with his boxing shows. Not like mike tyson that in one or 2 round will ko'ed his opponents. It's the same as most of the sports legend. Waldner also known because he displays his skill not just for winning but to entertain people. That is the thing that lacking in Ma Long. But in Ma Long I can see a sportsman that display the most important quality of all, the commitment and his passion on winning in every single game he plays. Never mind if he did not won the grand slam, even if he did not won it he can always be remembered as the most dominant player in an era that never won a grand slam :):):)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Great point of view. An all the time ping pong watcher never can forget ma long ..I'm zjk fan but i really like ma long .. i never forget him cause he is unique in forehand and no one even zjk can compete with his forehand . That's all . ;)

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
If you want to defend ML then defend him, but not say "someone who starts TT in 2030 will match ML". He will probably watch the best player at his time.

As i said before being memorable is not depends only on titles or how beauty the form is. Its depends on a mix of these.
I will never forget ML because he is the playing with the most beautiful form EVER.

But if i was someone who wants to start playing at 2030 i will not even see a single ML match. I will see the best at the moment. Unless someone who seen ML recommend me to watch him. And i'm sure in this case i will know ML as the one who has the most beautiful ever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
If you want to defend ML then defend him, but not say "someone who starts TT in 2030 will match ML". He will probably watch the best player at his time.

As i said before being memorable is not depends only on titles or how beauty the form is. Its depends on a mix of these.
I will never forget ML because he is the playing with the most beautiful form EVER.

But if i was someone who wants to start playing at 2030 i will not even see a single ML match. I will see the best at the moment. Unless someone who seen ML recommend me to watch him. And i'm sure in this case i will know ML as the one who has the most beautiful ever.

No one told me to watch Jan-Ove Waldner,nor am I from his era,but i watch videos of him.

Why?Because he was amazing.