WTT Contender Antalya 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Yeah, It's a beautiful tournament
Battle of the Europeans Vs the 2nd level Asians.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Tiago beating Isaac Quek 3-0..
I remember some people were talking highly of Isaac not long ago..

Hugo vs Kao Cheng-Jui will be an interesting one.
Quek is going to be a top 20 player, it is easy to forget he is 17 - Tiago is a very strong player, underestimate him at your own peril. He is older so he has his days, but if you track is results in German league matchups, your respect for him will be high.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Quek is going to be a top 20 player, it is easy to forget he is 17 - Tiago is a very strong player, underestimate him at your own peril. He is older so he has his days, but if you track is results in German league matchups, your respect for him will be high.
I like Tiago's style alot, and at one point I was nearly going to buy the Tiago Apolonia ZLC, so there is no disrespect to him at all. But Tiago is also 20 years older than Quek, he is from the same era as ZJK, they were good friends.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I like Tiago's style alot, and at one point I was nearly going to buy the Tiago Apolonia ZLC, so there is no disrespect to him at all. But Tiago is also 20 years older than Quek, he is from the same era as ZJK, they were good friends.
20 years older is an interesting talking point, if this was Boll Quek lost to (Boll who Apolonia beat recently by the way), would you say the same thing?

Let's review a list of Tiago's recent wins and losses: after his loss to El-Beiali of Egypt (who was showing special form that tournament beating Quadri as well), Tiago went to the European Teams and beat: Gionis, Majoros, Jancarik, and Boll, lost to Groth, was awarded a default vs Lind. In Bundesliga, he beat Robles, Duda, Mladenovic, lost a Chinese player and Calderano. Also lost to Kallberg in Muscat.

I wouldn't consider Quek better than Duda, Robles or Boll, I am saying that Quek at 17 I believe will continue to get better and better and has his best days ahead of him - he is capable of top 20 play on some days for sure, but he isn't there yet. I don't treat these kids as adults. Maybe my model is a mistake in that regard, but that is how I think.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
20 years older is an interesting talking point, if this was Boll Quek lost to (Boll who Apolonia beat recently by the way), would you say the same thing?

Let's review a list of Tiago's recent wins and losses: after his loss to El-Beiali of Egypt (who was showing special form that tournament beating Quadri as well), Tiago went to the European Teams and beat: Gionis, Majoros, Jancarik, and Boll, lost to Groth, was awarded a default vs Lind. In Bundesliga, he beat Robles, Duda, Mladenovic, lost a Chinese player and Calderano. Also lost to Kallberg in Muscat.

I wouldn't consider Quek better than Duda, Robles or Boll, I am saying that Quek at 17 I believe will continue to get better and better and has his best days ahead of him - he is capable of top 20 play on some days for sure, but he isn't there yet. I don't treat these kids as adults. Maybe my model is a mistake in that regard, but that is how I think.
If it was Boll that Quek lost to: I don't have time to google/look into the history of what they have achieved individually but my impression/memory is that Boll achieved much more. But then age is a big factor, Boll isn't who he used to be when he was at his prime.

I don't doubt anyone's ability to be in top 20 as I don't have the tools / knowledge / crystal ball to predict such things. But I can only comment on what is happening currently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If it was Boll that Quek lost to: I don't have time to google/look into the history of what they have achieved individually but my impression/memory is that Boll achieved much more. But then age is a big factor, Boll isn't who he used to be when he was at his prime.

I don't doubt anyone's ability to be in top 20 as I don't have the tools / knowledge / crystal ball to predict such things. But I can only comment on what is happening currently.
Boll achieved much more sure, but Tiago was easily a top 20 player in his prime (and he definitely is not in his prime now, but he is still incredibly strong) and was top 20 in an era where ratings were measured by playing strength, not performance points, so my main point is that age is not the main determinant of playing strength. I can easily be wrong about Quek, my main point here is that 17 year old players can lose 0-3 to world class players on any given day. And Tiago is world class, that is my point in citing his league results. I am trying to give context to a loss that focusing on the difference between Tiago's and Quek's age might not give sufficient context to.

Reactions: obsidian d
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Felix reminds us why Hugo will never beat the Chinese in a serious match - lacka the short game and close to the table control. This boy is phenomenal. His ability to hold the table in close to the table rallies is second to none at the moment and is a more advanced version of what Harimoto used to do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
this is going to be the match where Miwa is becoming the N1 in Japan. anyway it goes, i'm 200% sure she will win the domestic title next January.
You can see the signs but the fight or flight response of Hayata is strong and she is still physically able to do things Harimoto cannot on defense.

This user has no status.
You can see the signs but the fight or flight response of Hayata is strong and she is still physically able to do things Harimoto cannot on defense.
Miwa is just too predictable at the moment, she plays a bit like a robot. But once she mixes her skills with some tricks she'll be unbeatable.

Reactions: quanghuysk