WTT Singapore Smash 2024 3/7-3/17

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Another disappointing performance from LYJ where he comes up short again. If not for the draw, would he have reached this far?
Not sure about the link you referred to. But LJK was playing pretty good and hard through the tournament. His game plan against LYJ was probably planned and confirmed by all CNT coaches. The only weakness of LYJ is the rally strength. But who can really beat LJK in rally?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
What are you predictions between WMY vs WYD and WCQ vs LJK? I’m going with WMY (fairly obvious I believe) and WCQ despite their recent H2H because I reckon WCQ’s serve receive game and footwork are better.
WYD 2 H2H 6 WMY
5 of 6 previous matches from 2019-2023 went to WMY. WYD's win at WTT CS Frankfurt 2023 was due to WMY's knee injury. The other time WYD won was 4-3 at German Open 2019.

Regardless, now that Li Sun told the media that WYD's Olympic WS journey has officially ended, WMY has got to win to justify the modifications to the selection system.

李涛:王曼昱是不是从来没靠自己实力竞争上过限额2的大赛 (Rational discussion: Has Wang Manyu never earned a spot in competitions with a limit of 2 per association by her own strength?)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8808068382

LJK 4 H2H 3 WCQ
Unlike the WS, whoever wins the MS is inconsequential, WCQ will still play MS at Paris 2024 and LSD will still be the reserve player, unless something worse than what happened at WTTC 2024 occurs down the road.

Both want it as much, WCQ to prove his potential (Asian Games 2022 the only MS title of import to his name) and LJK to prove his value (back-to-back-to-back ;) WTTC MS bronze medalist).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Felix couldn't find an answer to Wang's forehand, and it wasn't even in the 3rd ball alone, in push push and see who pushes long, in majority of the rallies also. Felix was also quite passive and couldn't find holes in Wang's backhand. He has got his work cut out for him tbh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Ex
Felix couldn't find an answer to Wang's forehand, and it wasn't even in the 3rd ball alone, in push push and see who pushes long, in majority of the rallies also. Felix was also quite passive and couldn't find holes in Wang's backhand. He has got his work cut out for him tb

As a penholder Felix struggled with WCQ’s serve. He was very lucky to get 1 game off WCQ. So far WCQ has only dropped 2 games.

Jan 2018
Not sure about the link you referred to. But LJK was playing pretty good and hard through the tournament. His game plan against LYJ was probably planned and confirmed by all CNT coaches. The only weakness of LYJ is the rally strength. But who can really beat LJK in rally?
One simply looks at those LJK has lost to in this cycle:
MS
1-3 LJH, WTT CS Frankfurt 2023
1-3 Kallberg, WTT SCT Bangkok 2023
2-3 Jorgic, WTT CS Macao 2023
2-3 A. Lebrun, WTT CS Macao 2022
2-3 CIC, WTT CS Budapest 2022
2-4 Moregard, WTT SCT Budapest 2022
1-3 Aruna, WTT Cup Finals 2021
MD
LJK/Yuan Licen 1-3 Li Hon Ming/Pau Yik Man, WTT SCT Lanzhou 2023
LJK/LGY 2-3 CCY/LYJ, Asian Games 2022
LJK/LGY 1-3 A. Lebrun/F. Lebrun, WTT SCT Ljubljana 2023
LJK/Yuan Licen 1-3 AJY/CSM, WTT SCT Bangkok 2023
LJK/LGY 2-3 LSS/CDS, WTT SCT Budapest 2022
LJK/LGY 0-3 Falck/Karlsson, WTTC 2021

You can't blame him for losing to GS champion below the neck. The versatility and consistency of Liang was borderline supernatural on some points, some of the best counteroffensive TT I have seen in a while. I actually forgave LJK for going reverse‐Haribauer on almost every point.
Grand Slam below the neck...

The 7 players who beat him in this cycle must have done something different that took advantage of that. LYJ is worse than Harimoto in that aspect. Both have been extensively studied by the CNT more than the others and yet LYJ gets hard-countered even more than Harimoto. So like Hayata before WTTC 2024, LYJ must be doing something that does not maximize his luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I think Felix will need to win the serve receive battle decisively with WCQ if he wants to get the upper hand. Very tall order.
Yes, but he also needs to ramp up his proactive defence, Hari has done well on that part in the last couple of months, I don't know if it's his instinctual positioning of his paddle mid rally, but whenever the big forehand came in, you sort of knew that that point was a foregone conclusion even if Felix was able to return the big attack. Qiu Dang has a better defence and was able to pose a greater challenge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
He wasn't even getting much on his serve, like at some point in the 3rd/4th game, Felix had 33% success rate on his serves. That's not gonna cut it. At least 50% for a start.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
He wasn't even getting much on his serve, like at some point in the 3rd/4th game, Felix had 33% success rate on his serves. That's not gonna cut it. At least 50% for a start.
Does Felix have a Chinese penhold coach? Someone who played in the first division CNT would help.

This user has no status.
Felix lost really bad in the serve/receive battle - it almost seemed like WCQ was the penholder - aggressively controlling short and loopkilling all the long balls. Shakehand is naturally better at the rally and BH so in order to win, the penholder has to compensate by being better at the serve/receive aspect.

So there was no contest this time...

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
LYJ - for all his amazing skills is just not physically strong enough. Does he even squat and deadlift in the gym?!

Against most players that skill superiority is sufficient especially on the BH, but against very solid players like LJK you really need that extra oomph in shot quality and physicality to power through LJK's defences. But saying that, Harimoto was overwhelmed in the same way too, but imo Harimoto has a better shot at beating LJK as his ball quality is better than LYJ.

It didn't help that LYJ got warned on his hook serve (also illegal as ball passes by his ear and not in front of his eyes thereby making the ball hidden by his head), which was one of his special weapons.

It's amazing how WCQ is not faulted for his serves...

This user has no status.
many times LYJ missed table because ball went too long. Maybe he need slower blade to be more consistance?
It's because his legs failed him at the 5th set... it was clear that his legs got a lot slower and less explosive after a few brilliant topspins to lead 4-1 in the 5th set and then losing 7 straight points after that. You could see that he was starting to make topspins with his arm and there are form breakdowns because his legs were not giving enough to him to work with.

There's a reason why all the CNT players have large, thick explosive legs, so that they can sustain very high performance, high quality shots even in gruelling conditions.

Imo there's no excuse for LYJ to be so stubborn and not put in the effort to build up his leg muscles much more.
Weight training is known science at this point of time and everyone (even Harimoto) is doing a lot of it...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
It's because his legs failed him at the 5th set... it was clear that his legs got a lot slower and less explosive after a few brilliant topspins to lead 4-1 in the 5th set and then losing 7 straight points after that. You could see that he was starting to make topspins with his arm and there are form breakdowns because his legs were not giving enough to him to work with.

There's a reason why all the CNT players have large, thick explosive legs, so that they can sustain very high performance, high quality shots even in gruelling conditions.

Imo there's no excuse for LYJ to be so stubborn and not put in the effort to build up his leg muscles much more.
Weight training is known science at this point of time and everyone (even Harimoto) is doing a lot of it...

Taiwan has one of the best TT training in Asia tho. I wonder why LYJ’s coach not put more emphasis on his body training.

This user has no status.
Taiwan has one of the best TT training in Asia tho. I wonder why LYJ’s coach not put more emphasis on his body training.
I'm not exactly sure why - it would honestly take him less than a year to really train up thick legs if he so wanted to... just squat and deadlift heavy consistently + eat enough protein. Not that difficult.... he looks like he can't even squat 50kg at the moment....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
LYJ - for all his amazing skills is just not physically strong enough. Does he even squat and deadlift in the gym?!

Against most players that skill superiority is sufficient especially on the BH, but against very solid players like LJK you really need that extra oomph in shot quality and physicality to power through LJK's defences. But saying that, Harimoto was overwhelmed in the same way too, but imo Harimoto has a better shot at beating LJK as his ball quality is better than LYJ.

It didn't help that LYJ got warned on his hook serve (also illegal as ball passes by his ear and not in front of his eyes thereby making the ball hidden by his head), which was one of his special weapons.

It's amazing how WCQ is not faulted for his serves...
I think it's probably very difficult for the umpires to see that the pendulum serve goes behind his head, only back cameras so far have been able to detect that. You mentioned earlier that there's some faint moment in time where the ball is visible.
Unlike the shovel or hook serve that looks obviously shorter than a normal toss, and has some head arm action going on.
Lin didn't stop using his hook serve though, It's also very interesting that today WCQ stuck to the pendulums.

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
I'm not exactly sure why - it would honestly take him less than a year to really train up thick legs if he so wanted to... just squat and deadlift heavy consistently + eat enough protein. Not that difficult.... he looks like he can't even squat 50kg at the moment....
He's soft.