Zhang Jike ALC Blade... Review

This user has no status.
Look what arrived today!
I have just put two sheets of MX-P on it and I look forward to reviewing later on in the week.

My initial thoughts:
I have wanted to use this blade for over a year. I was due to replace my Viscaria so decided to be impulsive and just buy it.
It weights almost identical to my Viscaria and feels very similar. Reports I've read is that the Zhang Jike ALC is slightly quicker.

Everything about this blade feels premium It is a lovely design, which is well crafted and a professional package to compliment it. I will let you know what I think ASAP!

IMG_5163.jpgIMG_5162.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I have been using this blade for nearly 7 months and I have tried a number of rubbers on it. I think this is a good blade but may no be faster than Viscria than you thought.

This user has no status.
I have played with this set up three times now and feel confident to give you a update.

Zhang Jike ALC
This blade, as expected, plays very similar to the Viscaria Blade. I am not 100% sure (maybe someone could confirm?), but I think it's made up of the same wood veneers as the Viscaria. Despite this, it does have some differences. It feels more comfortable in the hand. Moreover, if you wanted to try the Viscaria but aren't a fan of the flared handle, you can get this blade in Straight and Anatomical. It seems slightly quicker and crispier, especially on driving and smashing. It has a lovely dwell time which really excels when looping or trying to impact spin on the ball. I would say that the Viscaria feel slightly softer and offers more dwell time. The sweet-spot is fairly large, but it's not as large as the ZLC or Super ZLC. You can definitely feel that the ball doesn't come off the blade as sweet around the edges.
Overall I am very happy with this blade - Except the price tag!

Evolution MX-P

I've been playing with Evolution for around a year now. I started playing with the MX-S because it was 'Poly-Ready', although I don't really believe in this phrase anymore. I really loved it though (or at least, thought I did). I loved how much spin I could still impart on the ball whilst all my club mates were moaning about how little spin the new plastic ball generates. It has an excellent dwell time and it felt as if the ball stayed in the sponge longer. After a while though, I realised that the rubber was not very forgiving. I always used Tenergy 05 as the benchmark - it feels like any shot finds the table with T05. Your shot has to be absolutely perfect to maximise the rubber's capabilities. If you are out of position, the MX-S returns with a very weak shot, or one that doesn't go over the net.

I then discovered, MX-P, which I've been using on my FH ever since. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to generate the same amount of spin with this rubber because it was produced before the plastic ball. However, I shouldn't have worried. It has a very grippy topsheet, the sponge on it is much more forgiving than MX-S. It's without doubt the closest rubber to T05 I have found and in fact, I actually prefer it. It is quicker. I find it very good for smashing the ball. It has a lovely feeling when looping and counter looping. Sometimes, on serve, I find the ball might drift long. It's because I was used to the longer dwell of MX-S. You can still generate copious amounts of spin even when dropping the speed of your wrist; I've found that less is more.

This rubber is my favourite rubber I have used on my FH. On my new set-up I decided to put it on my BH side too. I have spent many months trying to find a good backhand rubber. I had been used Acuda Blue P2, which I loved but sometimes I found it bottomed out. It generates a hell of a lot of spin though. So I tried FX-P, EL-P, EL-S, Rhymz-Tech... Before, when I used to use Tenergy. I used T05 both sides (before moving to T64... I basically wanted to be Zhang Jike). I suddenly realised, that seeing MX-P is basically a T05 equivalent why not try it both sides.

I'm not sure how I feel about this rubber on the B/H. It's powerful, spinny and really kicks on the table. My issue is, eventhough I dropped down a sponge side to 1.9mm, I sometimes find the rubber uncontrollable especially when blocking. I can't be as precise as I want to be. It's not as spinny as the Acuda Blue but is much quicker. I think I will need to adapt my shot with this rubber so that it is more compact. I will preserve with this rubber for the time being because it doesn't seem to bottom out like the Acuda Blue. It does have a nice arc over the net. I can keep the ball really short over the net with my serve but sometimes my touch play suffers a little. I will adapt, just need to train hard with them!

Any one any suggestions? How does T64 play with the Plastic Ball?

LM

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The FL handle has a slightly different shape from a Viscaria, and some people will like it better and some won't. You would have to try it yourself to know. Other than that, the blade is similar enough that you could easily adjust from one to the other in a few minutes and not notice much difference.

One thing I did notice though, with two samples of each, is that the FL ZJK-ALC blades are quite noticeably faster than the ST version! I don't know if this is always true, but certainly is the case for the ones I have (like I said, two of each), and it was definitely not what I was looking for with plastic balls. I love the ST handle shape of this blade, but gave up on the two ZJK-ALCs because both of the ones I have really are quite a bit slower than any of my FL Viscarias or the two FL-ZJK-ALC blades I have. So much slower in fact that I was thinking about switching to T64 from T05 to see if it would make up the difference. These blades all have serial numbers beginning with N, so I don't think it relates to the year they were made. It is quite strange.

In ended up not trying T64 on them because my Ovtcharov True Carbon ST came and seemed to solve the problem (a Viscaria-like blade with a round ST handle).

Last edited: