Boosting - Noob Question

Hi Guys,

firstly many thanks for all the wonderful, insightful, technical and down right confusing information for a noob ;)

For the idiots .... Ahem, I mean new people out there (or am I alone in this ? :p), could you give a bit of Boosting 101 advice?

1) Does boosting have an impact on ALL the rubber characteristics or just speed ?
2) By how many "points" would boosting effect a rubber ? So for example I am using the 2015 Joola Zack that is speed rated 75, Control 103 and spin 102... what kind of ratings would boosting expect to show afterwards?
3) Are there specific kinds of rubbers that can be boosted or can all rubbers be used?
4) What are the down-sides to boosting? i.e can it reduce the life expectancy of the rubber/sponge or can it actually keep the rubber/sponge going for longer?
5) and probably the most important question.... should I stay away from boosting until I actually know how to play this game properly ? (like in 40 years time ? :eek:)

Many thanks all :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Boosting by the user is hazardous to health of TT company profits. This might sound strange coming from a TT distributor like myself but take it for what it is.

As you are not a Pro and not an Uber competitive amateur player... go ahead and tune ur rubbers and tuna fish all you want. I will not send goon squads after you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi Guys,

firstly many thanks for all the wonderful, insightful, technical and down right confusing information for a noob ;)

For the idiots .... Ahem, I mean new people out there (or am I alone in this ? :p), could you give a bit of Boosting 101 advice?

1) Does boosting have an impact on ALL the rubber characteristics or just speed ?
2) By how many "points" would boosting effect a rubber ? So for example I am using the 2015 Joola Zack that is speed rated 75, Control 103 and spin 102... what kind of ratings would boosting expect to show afterwards?
3) Are there specific kinds of rubbers that can be boosted or can all rubbers be used?
4) What are the down-sides to boosting? i.e can it reduce the life expectancy of the rubber/sponge or can it actually keep the rubber/sponge going for longer?
5) and probably the most important question.... should I stay away from boosting until I actually know how to play this game properly ? (like in 40 years time ? :eek:)

Many thanks all :)

Boosting will not do much or anything for you unless you know how to spin the ball well. I beat many players who boost (well, some manufacturers sell me and everyone else boosted stuff, so I mean I beat players who boost the stuff sold to them) and they beat me too. It's at the higher levels that these small edges count. For example, my current coach never speed glued in his day but played all round at a higher level than I currently do and beat some high level loopers too, including the former national champ of Trinidad and a player that was on the Israeli national team.

Sometimes, I wish I could play some of the EJs online who are under USATT 1500 and make noise about their modern setups costing over $200 with a $30 setup from Colestt.com just to prove a point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
To the thread author. Well, I think that to boost or not to boost is a personal question. If you have a geeky nature and like to experiment with things and willing to spend time/money on that -- go ahead. Probably you will learn something new about effects of different kinds of rubbers and sponges, it can be cool. Otherwise, I don't think that you can get much by boosting your rubbers. I believe that for amateurs boosting only makes sense if your rubbers are too hard unboosted, like Hurricane 3. But yours (Joola Zack) are probably already soft enough.

Smack em down with the Der_Echte special...

Der_Meister, I need help, I'm currently boosting my h3p using baby oil... I pull out my h3 (the WBG is still there), then I apply thin layer of babyoil and spread it using my finger. THEN IT IMMEDIATELY DRIES !!! do I apply the baby oil too little or? what should I do? Should I add another layer right away? I dont want to over boost LOL

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You said your Water Based Glue Layer is still on the sponger.

I think the reason it appeared your thin layer of booster dried quickly is the glue layer absorbed it.

This will actually make it easier to remove the glue with your thumb or a rubber cutout.

I would say get rid of the glue before you go apeshyt with the tuner. If you don't it will take longer for sponger to soak in the tuner and the glue becomes a bothersome globby mess.

How much tuner you use depends on how soft you are trying to get the sponge. Try 2 medium coats after glue layer is gone and let it soak in a day or so.

That is a start and more continued tuning of rubbers will give you enough experience to know what you gotta do.

Say... is that Jimmy Hoffa floating upside down over there ???

Godda go.

Reactions: Suga D