Setup Questions

This user has no status.
Hi Guys!

I would need some counseling, been playing for the last 3-4 months with a Tibhar Stratus Powerwood (has a really awesome feel to it) paired with Tibhar's Evo MXP rubbers on both FH & BH.
Kind of love this setup, it really helped me to brush up my technique, however I think I've hit a block...I feel like I'm not getting enough power off it.

I'm not sure if to change the blade or just rubbers? or maybe the whole setup... and tbh, I wouldn't really want to change the blade because of it's feel

**Things I need to mention: I also play C-Pen, YEO paired with DHS Hurricane Neo 3 (Japanese version) on FH & Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta on BH. Taught myself how to because coaches here dont like CPEN.

says I've got WhatsApp and Facebook if that's ok with you.
says I've got WhatsApp and Facebook if that's ok with you.
Sep 2017
If you don't want to lose blade feel and control, try Tibhar Samsonov Pro Black Edition. It's 7 ply all wood. Great feel and control and definitely faster than the Powerwood. The MX-P is a fast rubber, not many faster rubbers out there which are as well rounded as the MX-P. So your best choice is to move up a blade. I often recommend going for faster rubbers first especially if one is a beginner, which im guessing you aren't.

At any rate the Samsonov Pro Black Edition has glittering reviews, i have a friend who owns one and is in love with it. Ive had a couple of hours with it and i really think it's an outstanding blade. The price is a bargain too.

One more thing, when you say you ALSO play CPEN do you mean you play both SH and CPEN or you ONLY play CPEN.
[h=1][/h]

This user has no status.
How do you find the yeo + H3N speed wise? (compared with the TSPW)

Are there specific shots you’d like more power on?

the YEO+H3N's definitely a lot faster than the Tibhar setup.
yeah, I'd say it's my FH drive that needs attention...on shakehand it feels like it doesnt have enough power behind it, it has spin but not fast enough.

This user has no status.
If you don't want to lose blade feel and control, try Tibhar Samsonov Pro Black Edition. It's 7 ply all wood. Great feel and control and definitely faster than the Powerwood. The MX-P is a fast rubber, not many faster rubbers out there which are as well rounded as the MX-P. So your best choice is to move up a blade. I often recommend going for faster rubbers first especially if one is a beginner, which im guessing you aren't.

At any rate the Samsonov Pro Black Edition has glittering reviews, i have a friend who owns one and is in love with it. Ive had a couple of hours with it and i really think it's an outstanding blade. The price is a bargain too.

One more thing, when you say you ALSO play CPEN do you mean you play both SH and CPEN or you ONLY play CPEN.

Thanks for the Samsonov blade tip. Keep hearing about it lately. Need to check if I can find someone at the club who might own one to at least test it a bit.
I'm playing for around 1y and a bit now & when I started I played with a T05 rubber and a Xiom all round blade set up (really weird vibe, didnt like it at all). Moved to Xiom Vega Euro rubbers like 3mos later but there was no kick there... everything was just flat or felt that way and then I just decided to change the setup completely.

Yes I play both sh & cpen. Cpen feels more natural, for me anyway...and never had a prob with rpb either.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Don't wanna piss off OP needlessly... but cmon... Tibhar Powerwood plus MX-P ... hit a wall in terms of power production... Please.......

Don't get us started. You are capable of VERY powerful shots with that setup.

Der_Echte isn't an elite tt athlete, but I bet you if I hit a few in practice with that setup, you would see some new level of pace outta that thing. You might stare at the rubber wondering what happened.

It isn't the bat, it's ur whip, which could be affected by a lot of things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Spot on ... I was trying to be nice and just make sure that in the off chance the OP has developed seriously good game in an year ( you never know ) and may be really needing something else ..
Don't wanna piss off OP needlessly... but cmon... Tibhar Powerwood plus MX-P ... hit a wall in terms of power production... Please.......

Don't get us started. You are capable of VERY powerful shots with that setup.

Der_Echte isn't an elite tt athlete, but I bet you if I hit a few in practice with that setup, you would see some new level of pace outta that thing. You might stare at the rubber wondering what happened.

It isn't the bat, it's ur whip, which could be affected by a lot of things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Guys, just to let everyone know, I absolutely do not mind a harsher tone or a disapproving note.
I'm new, a bit over a year in TT - I love it and wont stop playing it - had a coach who was more interested in the financial aspect of our collab so I cut the cord and I'm training on my own for the past 4mo
Yes, my form might be at fault. I will take ttmonsters advice and record myself - not sure why it didnt cross my mind before.

Also I'm really thankful to you guys for the time you took to answer me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You have to come to the right place my friend , you will have to filter out a little bit of noise but for most part you will receive constructive advice .. and in case you see your thread is not getting a lot of attention ( the one you create with video or this one ) , you can always join the Daily Chat thread ... and make some trouble there ... good luck on your endeavor .. happy to of any help !
Guys, just to let everyone know, I absolutely do not mind a harsher tone or a disapproving note.
I'm new, a bit over a year in TT - I love it and wont stop playing it - had a coach who was more interested in the financial aspect of our collab so I cut the cord and I'm training on my own for the past 4mo
Yes, my form might be at fault. I will take ttmonsters advice and record myself - not sure why it didnt cross my mind before.

Also I'm really thankful to you guys for the time you took to answer me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I'm not sure, but here's a thought: you might be able to practice the shot you want more speed on using both SH and CPEN grips, but with the same setup. (Not with new equipment: e.g. just take your SPW + MXP and practice the shot with both grips. Or do the same with your YEO + h3n.) If your results with the same setup still differ a lot between the CPEN and SH that should leave little doubt about what's going on. It might also point you to the adjustments you need to make in your SH technique..

Reactions: brothercain
This user has no status.
ttmonster, thank you. will be a long bumpy road. video will probably arrive after NYE - everybody seems to be out this time of year :)

OhWell, dully noted. there's going to be a difference, I'm sure of it...I find CPEN more comfy...

Heh guess I need to plan that recording session. Again, thanks guys! & a happy NY!

oh and if there's an OP (lurking :eek:) around, think we can close this thread up

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is a moderator and he, I mean, I think there is a little more to be said.

1) My guess is, if it is only on the FH on SH, then you may feel the actual speed of the SPW+MXP when you try the setup with PH grip.

2) You don’t usually want to fix an issue that is technique related by changing equipment. [emoji2]

Number 2 is just a simple way of explaining what Der_Echte already said when he was getting ready to call the goon squad out.

And video footage will help you (and perhaps, some of us) see what the actual issue is. Because it is not the speed of the setup that is a problem.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Reactions: brothercain