softer sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi guys,
I know technique First.
I still wonder if a softer sponge will be more comfortable for my Gameplay.
I am playing rasanter r50 on both sides with max/2.0 mm.
My biggest Problem is constant topspinning a backspin. I can carefully do a slow spinny Ball, a fast and spin one is Really random.
I wonder if a softer sponge will Support me more in this regards.
I tried a baracuda soft some Sets and liked it alot, but i hate blaming my equip for this.
My Rating is 1300 (germany) so iam neither Bad nor Good yet.

So what are your thoughts about it? Get used to a hard sponge and profit in future or go a more forgiving way choosing a softer sponge.
I Read alot of positive Reviews about the vega pro. I also consider the baracuda. What do you Think about my concerns?

Thank you in advance.
San

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I feel generally softer sponge does offer better feel yes but I think it's important to note what blade you have.

I have two blades, a clipper which is as stiff as they come. And I've found I like really soft on that to balance out the stiffness. Gives a pinch of flex if you will. I don't really play with the clipper anymore. It's a great short pip blade though.

But then on my current blade, the Gambler Fire Dragon Touch, it's a high flex blade and soft sponges on that just make it too slow. Get that mushy feeling. The blade is borderline too slow for me but the other day I played with the same blade but a faster version "Fire Dragon Fast". I could tell a speed difference but I felt the touch/feel game wasn't as good. So I actually like the Dragon Touch more.

Long story, short, is your blade fast? Medium speed? Flexy or stiff? I think blade and rubber combination is a huge factor. It's not just rubber only.

Me personally? I prefer soft sponge on the BH and pretty darn firm for speed on the FH. But I also play with a flexy not overly fast blade also.

You could try a softer sponge. I'm guessing you'll like the spin and feel slightly more. Maybe land more shots on the table. Just make sure you don't go too far and lose too much power.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is really a personal thing.

Most top players use rubbers that are on the harder side. But there are some like Emmanual Lebesson who use soft rubbers.

I think, with the pros, part of why they often get more out of harder sponge is that they have really powerful impact. Often amateurs don't quite have the impact power to get the most out of the harder sponges.

On touch shots, what Yogi said makes sense. But on the bigger power shots, the guys who get the most out of hard sponge are brushing but also using deep impact to engage the sponge without bottoming out.

But, in the end it really is just personal choice. If softer rubbers work better for you, you may as well use them.

Reactions: BeGo and langel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Well thats a Good question if my impact is hard enough to fully Engage the sponge.
My Blade is a grubba all+.
Should i try vega pro or go even more softer. Which mid (45°) and mid-soft (42.5) Rubber is recommended?

Exactly what Carl say.
In adition it should be noticed that the result depends on not only the sponge, but on the rubber top sheet as well.
Many rubber families use one and the same sponge with different top sheets and that matters. And there are some rubbers with mixed characteristics. For example Xiom Omega V Tour is better than Asia for slow spin, but is a brushing monster too. The problem is it needs a lot of expertise to get use of it. I still can't, so I prefer Asia. At the same time, speaking of Tenergy, I prefer T05fx over T05.
At the end its really all upon personal feeling.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well thats a Good question if my impact is hard enough to fully Engage the sponge.
My Blade is a grubba all+.
Should i try vega pro or go even more softer. Which mid (45°) and mid-soft (42.5) Rubber is recommended?

Tibhar Evolution FXP might be good for you. FXS might also. T05fx is also an option. If you like the Rasanter rubbers but want softer, you could try the softer versions instead of the 50. 50 is pretty hard.

Vega Pro isn't super soft but it isn't really hard either. The topsheet is hard. Vega Europe is pretty decent too. But every company has a rubber that is soft and pretty good. Aurus Soft, Rakza 7 Soft, Aurus Sound or Soft. Perhaps they are all a little different but they are all decent and any of them will work. I definitely like FXP and T05fx though. Those would be at the top of my list.

And I think FXP was what Lebesson used when he won the European Championships a few years ago. My old man memory could be wrong on that. But I think I remember that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
And I think FXP was what Lebesson used when he won the European Championships a few years ago. My old man memory could be wrong on that. But I think I remember that.

Yup, even now that's what his Tibhar profile says (assuming we can trust that).

I agree with the posts that say "it depends" in theory, but even Damien Eloi who's posted here only uses R50 on his forehand. To go for that on both sides, you'd really have to be pretty darn sure that is exactly what you need (obviously not the case, hence the thread, but worth pointing out). I honestly haven't tried it - amazing how many people here get their hands on so much equipment - but even Dan sort of discarded it in favour of a sorfter version, in his video review. So yes, anything that feels more "middle of the road" should be a safer bet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Thanks for the Replays.
I guess i have to try out some rubbers in each sponge hardness.
Because of the good price and reviews im gonna go with vega pro and europe.
For 45° im unsure about xiom Asia, as it should have a Great catapult and i prefer linear rubbers.
Are there Good and cheap recommendations? Is rakza 7 in that Category?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for the Replays.
I guess i have to try out some rubbers in each sponge hardness.
Because of the good price and reviews im gonna go with vega pro and europe.
For 45° im unsure about xiom Asia, as it should have a Great catapult and i prefer linear rubbers.
Are there Good and cheap recommendations? Is rakza 7 in that Category?

As long as you know that Vega Pro and Europe are older generation ESN rubbers they are great for people who need more control but won't give as much spin. So they are excellent for someone who is going from a classic rubber like Mark V to their first tensor type rubber. But they don't have the kind of spin capabilities of newer ESN rubbers. As long as you know those details, Vega Pro and Europe are good choices. But if you wanted spin capabilities closer to Rasanter or Baracuda, you may want to consider something else.

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Soft sponge will help you only if you can't hit hard. In weak shots it will help. Or very spinny wristy shots like many backhand openers.

But just take a medium sponge like most people (not R50) and it'll be fine. Like R42 or something, though I personally hate all the new modern ESN rubbers. They're all rubbish that lasts for like a month or two.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
well thats exactly my key question...
i hate blaming my failures on equipment and decided to work harder on strokes and movements...
still there is the question if i play unsuitable rubbers... just like beginner shouldnt play superfast blades....
it's kinda easy to blame the equipment, stil i wonder why a lot of people dont play that hard rubbers.
i guess i have to try it out last time and go slower rubbers... still feel uncomfortable with the blame

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
There is a difference between blaming your failures on equipment and testing something moderately softer to see if you get better results. Maybe r50 is just too hard for you, even if your texhnique is good.

Changing equipment does not make anyone a pro, but using unsuitable equipment can definitely hurt your play. Beginners with off+ blades is a common example.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
well thats exactly my key question...
i hate blaming my failures on equipment and decided to work harder on strokes and movements...
still there is the question if i play unsuitable rubbers... just like beginner shouldnt play superfast blades....
it's kinda easy to blame the equipment, stil i wonder why a lot of people dont play that hard rubbers.
i guess i have to try it out last time and go slower rubbers... still feel uncomfortable with the blame

If in doubt, get Vega Pro :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
yeah i've ordered a sheet of vega pro and one of baracuda.
i heard great about both and i am excited to test em.
i need to attack long backhand serves alot and open up backspin with topspin so i'm kinda a two-wing-looper i guess.
are there a favorable distribution for fh/bh which one of the rubbers excel more?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
yeah i've ordered a sheet of vega pro and one of baracuda.
i heard great about both and i am excited to test em.
i need to attack long backhand serves alot and open up backspin with topspin so i'm kinda a two-wing-looper i guess.
are there a favorable distribution for fh/bh which one of the rubbers excel more?

Unfortunately, if you don't know which wing should get one or the other rubber, you probably should be playing with the same rubber on both wings. It is a classic equipment mistake to think that a specific rubber will be better for BH than FH or vice versa.

And two rubbers that are that different, you would not really want to make the two wings so unbalanced if there was not a reason that was specific to one of your wings.

Ideally, when you figure out which rubber you like more, after flipping the racket around and feeling each rubber for both wings, then you get the second rubber of the one that works better for both wings.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Said differently, if you don't have a specific reason for having rubbers that are as different as Baracuda and Vega Pro on each wing, then using that rubber combination will cause the two wings to develop asymmetrically.

It is sort of like asking to cause one wing to develop into the worse wing than the other.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
With 1300 TTR you should probably go for a softer rubber. For hard rubbers you must be able to move your arm really fast and you probably can't do that because then it's too fast for you. Try something like R42, Vega Pro is not thaaaat much softer and easier to play, still a demanding rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
guys i don't want to use different rubbers on fh/bh, but in fact i ordered two sheets to try em out and i have to start with one sheet on one side and the other one on the other side.
after some reviews there were stated that the pro has more catapult while the baracuda has a higher arc. i guess i'm gonna start with baracuda on fh and pro on bh tho.
maybe mid-hard is too hard for me tho, still i was able to handle unboosted H3 and R50, just not constant. i'm gonna try out one softer league, climbing higher is always possible afterwards.