Creating SPIN, is there a best way?

This user has no status.
Hey guys,

After playing TT couple of years, I was thinking the mechanics of how spin can be created on the ball and wondering which method creates more spin on the ball.

When Driving spin can be created either by:

Carrying the ball with a longer motion, along by brushing it.

or

Fast brushing on the tangent of the ball.

Which one is the best option?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Hi!
Well..It's just case by case, but i prefer Fast brushing to Carrying the ball style because it can be adjusted by unexpected situations during play TT. It has speedy and powerful, so Fast driving is much harder for blocking than spinny driving(Carrying the ball). It also makes you flick easier than the other style(Not the same as it though), but not good for Loop-drive.

So.. it's very affected by personal choice and fancy, but i recommend Fast brushing to drive:)

Last edited:
Reactions: michiy
This user has no status.
Hmm I am trying to work out how you mean. The best way to produce spin is the brush the ball as much as possible right?

Sorry I cloud the question guys. What I really want to know is which of the two produces a better shot, in terms of spin.

I feel sometimes when I use more a brushing stroke I lose a lot of control. When using a carrying motion I can the ball easier on the table but it is so easy for my opponents to block.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Sorry I cloud the question guys. What I really want to know is which of the two produces a better shot, in terms of spin.

I feel sometimes when I use more a brushing stroke I lose a lot of control. When using a carrying motion I can the ball easier on the table but it is so easy for my opponents to block.

OK. Ideally you need to brush the ball low to avoid people attacking the ball against you. This will force them to block.

Hope this helps, me know how it goes later when you play.

Reactions: michiy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Don't get flat batted contact on the ball just get a minimal amount and get it through as quickly as possible

This user has no status.
Dont hit the ball, "brush it hard"

I tried that couple of training sessions this week. And the conclusions I could get are (considering backspin only):
- Brushing the ball fast often produces a lot of spin, at the cost of shot speed and sometimes placement.
- Brushing also required myself to wait for the ball to drop lower than I'm used to (I tend to attack-on-bounce backspin balls). Thus giving my opponent a bit more time to react.
- Carrying the ball produced a lot less SPIN, but gaining better shot speed and placement.

Final conclusion:
I found that using the "Carrying motion" is much more effective against advanced players, which have enough experience to block high-spin shots. That is because you rely more on shot placement and speed to reduce reaction time from these players, and create more windows of opportunity to counterattack.

The brushing stroke is much more effective on beginner-intermediate players since that have low experience, and have a hard time blocking incoming heavy spin shots.

I've just realised that due to material mechanics chinese style rubbers offer the best of both worlds, at the trade-off of physical endurance and level of technique. The brushing motion is effectively incorporated in the carrying motion, giving the stroke immense amounts of spin and speed. Due to the lack of bounciness from chinese sponges and high tackiness from the topsheet, mixing both techiniques to create SPIN comes perfectly with these type of rubbers.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Last edited: