[REVIEW] Butterfly Viscaria

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi everyone. I am writing this review for a Viscaria. It was originally in a private message, but it was suggested to me that I make a thread out of it. have made some changes to the review since it has been over a month and a half now (not counting my month and a half break from tt which is done now (leg and vacation)). Comment questions or disagreements and agreements.

Ok so I switched from an allwood 7-ply just so you know my comparisons.

With H3 neo (com) on FH and T80 on BH

It has a much softer feel than most carbon blades, and it has a lot of flex. The handle needed a lot of sanding because it made me blister the second day. Mine was 83 grams, and most of the weight went to the head of the bat but it felt very light compared to other blades. A lot of people have said that the handle is very wide for them, but it didn't bother me. I have small hands so I hold the bat high up on the handle so maybe it is shorter there and so maybe I'm not the right person to talk to about that. The handle does seem very flared.

BH blocks have so much more power. On my flexible allwood, the blocks would go back at a decent speed with a 25 USD blocking rubber. With this, the blocks go back at about the same speed, but they are so much more controlled. Thus, it's 300 times easier to punch block the ball, and the ball goes very fast with a little flick in the wrist or a loop. It is much easier to be aggressive. The blocks on forehand don't seem the same, but that's probably because of my tacky Chinese rubber.

The short game takes some time to get used to. The ball goes farther and more powerfully making touches harder. The way to do it is to add more backspin than on my allwood. This is good, because it makes you spin more. Flicks need adjusting. I feel like I have to open my bat a lot more on the more passive flicks. But when I want to make it fast it'll help me more. When I push I have a ton of control. Although my setup is sensitive to spin, I still feel like on a push I have forever to figure out where to place it.

Serves are much better. The technique in a serve is to put as much of the power as possible into the spin. Viscaria paired with a tacky rubber like H3 has great serves. The fact that the blade is light with the Arylate allows my serves to be very short and very spinny. This might make up for the bad flicks, because I can get some nice third ball opportunities. My serves have been pretty darn short with Viscaria. I actually feel more control with service.

When I looped. I had to adjust a lot. My bat angle was very different. In the end though, I can loop very consistently and quickly. Counter looping short and mid distance is incredible. You will have high throw rallies and then BAM a low winner down the line. At the only tournament I played in with this setup so far I played someone very aggressive and I counterlooped more than I would have before and it was just easier. I think the lighter Viscaria allowed me to finish a loop and get back into position again. Looping long underspin is SOO much easier than the allwood. I have a much higher margin of error.

I know this is a weird one but when you lob and someone hits a short ball, there is more control on the sidespin chop.

Overall incredible control for a carbon while gaining power. With just a punch you can get a ton of power. Requires more spin and effort on flicks and slightly different technique on close to table loops but counter looping is incredible. Great for service. Has a ton of feel and a lot of control so that I can place the ball anywhere.

I am going to stay with this setup on forehand, although I am considering a provincial and t05 for FH and BH. I have to save up though :). My t80 is dead now, so I need something new. Well that's it.

Anything I missed? Hope I helped.

- Abe

This user has no status.
I agree with your findings especially regarding the backhand punch blocks. Viscaria is a very very good blade. But the unusually too soft blade I got was not my type, it is a great blade though. I think we have opposite direction in blades as I have replaced my Viscaria with a 7ply allwood, Clipper CR. :)

Nice review by the way. :)

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I agree with your findings especially regarding the backhand punch blocks. Viscaria is a very very good blade. But the unusually too soft blade I got was not my type, it is a great blade though. I think we have opposite direction in blades as I have replaced my Viscaria with a 7ply allwood, Clipper CR. :)

Nice review by the way. :)

Thank for the feedback. Yeah you will like that. Viscaria is very much like an allwood. I love how much power you can get when hitting hard while still getting so much control when hitting soft, and you can really only get that from an ALC blade, especially viscaria.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I may use a euro rubber on fh now that's not so fast maybe xiom vega series. I have found that with hurricane I'm hitting through the sponge too much. I have so much control over my blocks now, and I am able to setup many attacks with well placed blocks thanks to the blade. Some people think that people shouldn't be using it until an 1800 level. I disagree. My backhand is not a great backhand, but since I've switched to viscaria, even with a 2.1 tenergy, I have tons more control than on my old 7ply wood with a blocking rubber! Any opinions on any of this? Thanks. Btw most people say I'm about a 1400 (my rating is a few months old) if that helps. I may posts multiball video.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think on that blade, you could do well with T05 or whatever Tenergy you got on FH instead of BH wing and use a control rubber on BH wing. I had the TBS for a few years and used the tried and true XP 2008 Super Power on it sucessfully, control forever in every type of shot and not so reactive to spin in short game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I think on that blade, you could do well with T05 or whatever Tenergy you got on FH instead of BH wing and use a control rubber on BH wing. I had the TBS for a few years and used the tried and true XP 2008 Super Power on it sucessfully, control forever in every type of shot and not so reactive to spin in short game.

Xiom Omega V tour? It's really cheap on ttnpp. It could be my BH and FH. I'd have to save up for Tenergy (mine was used).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
hey guys i was offered a new blade by my coach its the new DHS hurricane long 3 should i accept or stick to my zjk alc im worried that if i accept the dhs hl 3 it will be to power full and all balls will go out but it will take time to get used to it and i have a training camp coming up do u think i should accept the dhs hl 3or keep my zjk alc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Accept it now, take a few hits on your alc then use your new blade for comparisson.. if you think that your adjustments would be huge and will take some time then go back to alc, if you feel that the new blade would improve your skills more then jump on it now and use it everyday

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Best time to understand your blade, in training camp you will have more time to play and analyse the behavior or your setup. It doesnt matter win or lose during matches inside the camp, its the learning..the way you analyse adjust blend as one with your blade and making that weapon a part of yourself

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
I have tried both blades and IMO the HL3 isn't faster the zjk alc the HL3 has more dwell due to the outer limba layer and more feel because it is an all wood blade. I would say it is better for players learning should play all wood. But it is of cause a matter of preference .