Help choosing a custom racket

This user has no status.
Hello there. I was lurking before, and had to register and thank you for the long and informative post about bats, blades and rubbers. Even if Tareq can seem trolly at times, this post helped me. So thank you.

I, as many before me, played locally as a kid, never got crazy about it, and then left it behind until a few months ago - I started a new job, and they actually have a TT table at my workplace. I now play every other day or so, for about an hour on average, sometimes longer. Until now, I'd been using a Stiga Fury, premade bat, and have discovered that I'm a blocker with angry topspin drives mixed in. So far, so generic. As I need to work on my game, I've read lots of advice, and it's all slightly different. Do this, do that, avoid this and so on.

I've just pulled the trigger on a Timo Boll ALL+, with 1.7 Srivers. Perfectly middle of the road, with a slight lean towards offensive. I'm looking forward to learning technique and improving my strokes and developing the feeling for TT now - Your post very eloquently and accessibly summarised the framework and the REASONING behind not getting the fastest speedmonster blade and rubbers and then failing to improve because of the difficulty floor on the setup being above your own skill ceiling, meaning there's little to no way of climbing up there and getting going.

So while you may feel that your advice was old hat, repetition of something spouted repeatedly to unwashed masses of armchair enthusiasts with no return... I wanted to tell you - It was valuable and useful advice to me. Thank you!

Hello there and welcome to the site.

I am happy that this long thread gave you some hint or helped you somehow, i keep asking a lot, discuss a lot, even if it sounds like trolling, at the end i get the answers and help at the end, good some people or members are patient, but we no human are all different nature in some things in life.

Good that you get back to TT, me too, in fact i wasn't thinking to go back and play TT until i felt very bored nowadays and then watches some TT videos and there was a World championship in Dubai, so i got interested in this game again suddenly and now i couldn't stop thinking about it, but i didn't like the idea that even if i go back to it that i am same as beginner who just started, but to other higher levels and experts and smart people i am still beginner even i have skill, so i will try to enjoy more than just looking for getting titles or ranks.

Welcome again, and enjoy or have fun!!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I waz waiting for you to tell him to go for Ur blade, then turn it into BEAST Mode.

Well, the reason I did not recommend the Stiga Allround Evolution is that the kid is paranoid and thinks there is a worldwide plan to keep him from buying Butterfly so he might not get that the Stiga Allround Evolution is just an awesome blade. I mean, sheesh, he even accused me of telling him Butterfly was too good for him because I told him to get a BUTTERFLY PRIMORAC OFF-. He didn't even seem to know that the Butterfly Timo Boll Off- was a Butterfly blade. It sounds like he jumped down the throat of a sales guy at a store for telling him to get a Yasaka Extra (another awesome blade not made by Butterfly). I wonder what he would have done if I had told him Stiga Allround Evolution instead. It could have started a serious cyber fire or somethin'.

I am awfully sad that it looks like they don't make the Stiga Tube Allround any more. That was another amazing blade that was awfully inexpensive. Nobody bought it because it looked like it couldn't possibly be good at $35.00 and with a label like Allround on it. But that is one great blade. It may even be a notch better than the Allround Evolution. A little faster. A little lighter. Slightly more crisp. The wood is thinner, denser and slightly lighter so more solid but lighter. But since it had to be the B word, I suggested good old, well trusted, Primorac. Butterfly's best selling blade ever!!! It is every bit as good as the Allround Evolution. A bit more durable. Similar dwell time. Similar speed. Less crisp. Denser feeling. But it depends on your taste. I like the extra snap on the Evolution. But the weight balance is more in the handle on the Primorac.

Reactions: TableTennisNerd
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, the B word is extremely over rated. not to mention those "allround" B blades are not even made by B themselves.
I actually wonder if the troll is a B employee. It was just too weird to be a normal person

I feel the best blade I ever owned is the Yasaka Extra (the Gatien one from can't remember which decade). Best control, balance, weight blade.
I have used lots of Yasaka Cpen blades, as well as other brands, but nothing better than the YE that even Wang Hao used most of his playing career in the CNT

And to sum it up, my fav blades are like $35 to $70
I have many blades over $100 and I still prefer the wood beasts

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, the B word is extremely over rated. not to mention those "allround" B blades are not even made by B themselves.
I actually wonder if the troll is a B employee. It was just too weird to be a normal person

I feel the best blade I ever owned is the Yasaka Extra (the Gatien one from can't remember which decade). Best control, balance, weight blade.
I have used lots of Yasaka Cpen blades, as well as other brands, but nothing better than the YE that even Wang Hao used most of his playing career in the CNT

Yep. And it is interesting how, until this generation, so many CNT players used simple all wood blades. Almost all of them.

The first Yasaka Extra I tried, they still had the name Gatien on it. It took me a while to realize that they changed the name from Yasaka Gatien Extra to Yasaka Extra. Really nice blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Ok, when i will have good high budget i will be 3-4 rackets so i can have something that you want me to get and something i want to get so all can be happy, no need now to keep going in this thread.

Thanks all!!!
By the time you get a good high budget try to focus on 1 single setup blade and rubbers. If you want to enjoy tt back again you need to reform yourself with better skills technique. Now if your idea of having diffrent blade setup the moment you have the money as early as now then sad to say that your messed up head will be worst jumping from and offensive to defensive setup.. you have to create a strong forte in your game strong skills that could give you instant points, an identity that defines who you are as a player.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is also interesting how the original poster tries to go about getting attention. First he asked for people's opinions, as though he was hoping to get information, but really he only wanted to be told to get what he already wanted. Then when he was told information about what kind and category of blade and rubber he should get he started accusing people who actually know this subject, that they were trying to keep him from getting Butterfly because it is "the best" and most expensive. . Perhaps he had no clue that Butterfly in fact makes equipment in all performance categories and brands were not being mentioned. Then he started ranting about how on photography forums they did the same thing to him.

This made me realize he thinks a table tennis racket is like a camera. You pay more and it is better. More money somehow equals better performance but actually it means less wood and more technology. Or, at least most of the time. After that he started wanting people to only tell him what particular blade to get rather than giving him information that could apply to any blade in a particular class.

All the while he kept saying he wanted to get something expensive and then said he had no money. Then he would say he needed to wait to have a budget because he has no money. Then he would say that money didn't matter and he could spend as much as he wanted.

When people started saying that he should go and just play and not worry about equipment, he started saying, if he played he would go away and not post on the forums any more because he was so busy playing. Many of us thought to ourselves: "Now that would be a good thing!" Perhaps he was surprised that nobody said: "No, don't go play! Stay here and supply us with this endless banter that doesn't go anywhere and this odd argumentative style of talking about cameras and how there is a conspiracy to try to make you buy a brand that is not Butterfly." But nobody made a comment about him not coming back.

Now he has said that he will get a nice big budget so he can get 3-4 rackets and get ones to make us happy and ones to make him happy.

And it has already been said many times: "get what you want!" But he shouldn't pretend that he wants information on what would be good for him. Because he doesn't. And nobody hear will really be affected if he gets something because he thinks we want him to get it. All anyone did who was trying to give him good information was tell him the things that were most useful and why. Most of the time that was presented like this:

An all wood All+ or Off- blade with traditional rubbers would be best to start.

Notice, no brand, or model was mentioned. That is right. The experts overestimated the OP and thought he could find many rubbers and many blades that would be good for him and choose for himself because no brand or model was mentioned.

So nobody here wants the OP to make them happy. We just want him to go play. That is much better for the sport than all this banter and argumentation and accusing people who were trying to help you or trying to fish them back into an argument by saying "I will spend a lot of money so I can make you happy by getting what you want and getting what I want!"

Save the money you don't have and spend it on play time and coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

That describes me too - currently using the Samsonov Force Pro (7 ply limba ayous). With Big Dipper 38 deg thanks to you, I have left Tenergy and now have a setup under $100 that plays the way I like it to.

The one thing I will say is that in 4 years, I have likely spent literally thousands of dollars on equipment (little of it retained, some of it resold, most of it given away), so I cannot blame TareqPhoto completely for his attitude given how confused I was until I sorted things out to my satisfaction. Tenergy was the last thing I had to figure out an alternative too and if someone had told me the solution would be a $20 Yinhe rubber, I would have laughed them out of existence.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Carl, I didn't even read everything that OP typed, now hearing what you said, I am indeed sure it is a troll. I wonder if all 72 post was made in this 1 thread.... that may be a TTD record. I think OP is done with this thread, so we can hijack it and talk fun :)

But if talking about camera - I have a Sony DSLR which to me is very useless nowadays - as my ifone 5 is good enough for the job required on hand - both photo and video. And not to mention my new ifone 6 that is waiting for me. So the same applies - it is determine of the needs of the user that determines if the product is good or not. Not determined by price. This is the same for house, car, clothes etc

Nextlevel

I too won't believe a $20 is good enough to replace a $80. I would say, maybe a $50 is more likely a $80 replacement. But such rubbers to exist or rather it was a perfect match for you. Glad my first proper review made lots of people happy... I should ask Yinhe for commission :p

This user has no status.
Ok, here is my final decision about what i will buy when i will have the good high budget if possible

Butterfly Primorac Off-
Yin He N11
Butterfly InnerForce ZLF
Yasaka Max Wood

I was thinking to go with Stiga Allaround Evo. but i found it on eBay at high price almost nearly of the Butterfly one, so i let this out.

2 or 3 of above are cheaper or say less than $100 of each, only InnerForce ZLF is above $100, i planned to put about $250-300 only for blades, so i can manage to have 3 blades not problem.

About rubbers, until now i saw that i didn't confirm something rather than Tenergy yet, but i may go with those rubbers i've been recommended for Yin He, and i will not worry much about rubbers as much with blades, and the rubbers budget is less than blades, so i put something about $500-700 for all package.