Help choosing a custom racket

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
like i said,stop asking,choose according to manufacture rating,buy, then come back here

I asked here because this blade is a big recommendations from that coach who fooled me and even from the salesman who never know me or saw me playing or whatever, so what is about this blade that make it highly recommended by many here? because in my area there are not many options at all and i am forced to go with whatever i can find even it is not the best option out there of any brand, and from reviews, this blade isn't any better for starter than Donic or Butterfly or Stiga, i feel they recommended it only because it was cheap, if so i found cheaper blades and was better recommended online.

I will ask them again if they can offer the model i look for or say recommended by you here, if not then either i go with whatever i see there or i buy it online.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I asked here because this blade is a big recommendations from that coach who fooled me and even from the salesman who never know me or saw me playing or whatever, so what is about this blade that make it highly recommended by many here? because in my area there are not many options at all and i am forced to go with whatever i can find even it is not the best option out there of any brand, and from reviews, this blade isn't any better for starter than Donic or Butterfly or Stiga, i feel they recommended it only because it was cheap, if so i found cheaper blades and was better recommended online.

I will ask them again if they can offer the model i look for or say recommended by you here, if not then either i go with whatever i see there or i buy it online.

OK, TareqPhoto. Let's try again.

The blade I use now costs $60 (Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro). The most expensive blade I have ever used cost $160 (Killerspin Titanium Carbon) and it cost me a key match when I was in the 1800s, after which I swore never to use it again. I used a $22 blade to beat a woman who after the tournament was rated 2156 and would have broken 2200 easily if she didn't lose to me (I was 1800 and it was on the same day that I lost to a 1500 guy with the Killerspin Titanium Carbon).

My best victories have come with blades that I bought for:
$22 (Dawei Quattro Limba) - I was rated 1800 and beat someone who was rated 2100,
$30 (Giant Dragon BalsaDef) - I was rated 1700 and beat a man who was in the 2000s, and I used the same blade in October last year while frustrated with the Plastic ball to beat 3 2000 players in one event when I had dropped to 1850
$50 (Joola Rossi Emotion) - I was rated 1800 and had quite a few 2000 players using it.
$60 (Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro) - This was the blade I used to break 2000 and I have beaten several 2100 opponents with it.

I have spent thousands of dollars on equipment. While I don't want to spend money on butterfly blades, I did have a Primorac wood before giving it away (I never liked the flare handle as I prefer straight handles). While I now hate the $160 Killerspin TC, I do not feel as strongly about the $110-$130 blades I bought in the Xiom Vega series. They are okay, I still have them, but believe it or not, I prefer my $60 Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro. I have also had some good wins with them, but not quite like my best wins and I still prefer my $60 blade. I will probably sell them to someone more deserving at some point in time.

I have used many rubbers. I have probably spent more on rubbers than on blades - I have used lots of stuff from Butterfly, Donic, Joola, Tibhar, Andro, Hurricane, Yinhe etc. In fact, in March last year, I decided that I had wasted too much money on rubbers and committed 100% to just using Tenergy 05, which is pretty much the most expensive rubber out there. However, I found a rubber that I finally liked more than Tenergy 05 and it cost me $20. So now, I am using a $60 blade with $20 rubbers for a $100 setup.

Money is not always quality in this sport. Blades are more expensive usually because of the materials and research that went into making them, but many good players use very cheap blades. My blade is supposed the one used by Vladimir Samsonov, who has been in the top 15 in the world for almost 20 years and is a living legend of table tennis. I saw Bojan Tokic, WR #50 or so, when he came to the US last year and I asked to see his setup. His blade, a Stratus Powerwood, is about $55 and is all wood.

So you see, complaining because someone recommended you a cheap blade is really more about what you don't understand than what the other person is trying to do to you. The Yasaka Max Wood, from what I have read, is the Yasaka version/twist on my current blade (Seven-ply limba/ayous or limba/ayous/koto). A sensible offensive choice, probably a bit fast, but can be handled reasonably well compared to most composite blades. I am 95% sure that I would enjoy playing with it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
OK, TareqPhoto. Let's try again.

The blade I use now costs $60 (Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro). The most expensive blade I have ever used cost $160 (Killerspin Titanium Carbon) and it cost me a key match when I was in the 1800s, after which I swore never to use it again. I used a $22 blade to beat a woman who after the tournament was rated 2156 and would have broken 2200 easily if she didn't lose to me (I was 1800 and it was on the same day that I lost to a 1500 guy with the Killerspin Titanium Carbon).

My best victories have come with blades that I bought for:
$22 (Dawei Quattro Limba) - I was rated 1800 and beat someone who was rated 2100,
$30 (Giant Dragon BalsaDef) - I was rated 1700 and beat a man who was in the 2000s, and I used the same blade in October last year while frustrated with the Plastic ball to beat 3 2000 players in one event when I had dropped to 1850
$50 (Joola Rossi Emotion) - I was rated 1800 and had quite a few 2000 players using it.
$60 (Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro) - This was the blade I used to break 2000 and I have beaten several 2100 opponents with it.

I have spent thousands of dollars on equipment. While I don't want to spend money on butterfly blades, I did have a Primorac wood before giving it away (I never liked the flare handle as I prefer straight handles). While I now hate the $160 Killerspin TC, I do not feel as strongly about the $110-$130 blades I bought in the Xiom Vega series. They are okay, I still have them, but believe it or not, I prefer my $60 Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro. I have also had some good wins with them, but not quite like my best wins and I still prefer my $60 blade. I will probably sell them to someone more deserving at some point in time.

I have used many rubbers. I have probably spent more on rubbers than on blades - I have used lots of stuff from Butterfly, Donic, Joola, Tibhar, Andro, Hurricane, Yinhe etc. In fact, in March last year, I decided that I had wasted too much money on rubbers and committed 100% to just using Tenergy 05, which is pretty much the most expensive rubber out there. However, I found a rubber that I finally liked more than Tenergy 05 and it cost me $20. So now, I am using a $60 blade with $20 rubbers for a $100 setup.

Money is not always quality in this sport. Blades are more expensive usually because of the materials and research that went into making them, but many good players use very cheap blades. My blade is supposed the one used by Vladimir Samsonov, who has been in the top 15 in the world for almost 20 years and is a living legend of table tennis. I saw Bojan Tokic, WR #50 or so, when he came to the US last year and I asked to see his setup. His blade, a Stratus Powerwood, is about $55 and is all wood.

So you see, complaining because someone recommended you a cheap blade is really more about what you don't understand than what the other person is trying to do to you. The Yasaka Max Wood, from what I have read, is the Yasaka version/twist on my current blade (Seven-ply limba/ayous or limba/ayous/koto). A sensible offensive choice, probably a bit fast, but can be handled reasonably well compared to most composite blades. I am 95% sure that I would enjoy playing with it.

Well, i understand and thanks for your experience in your TT, but it is up to each one to find their own, now you tested many blades until you found your own doesn't mean we all must follow your path or choose the one you finally chose, maybe the first blade or the blade you didn't like could be my favorite, and sure you have your impressions and experience that can or may help, but not all are the same thinking or preferences.

For example, you don't like that FL handle, then i am sorry, i only like Ana and FL over that Straight one, i held both and i never felt comfortable much with that Straight handle, even FL wasn't that much great but was way better than ST t me, and Anatomic is the best to me, but i can't find much Anatomic blades anyway here, and sounds that FL and ST is most common here, so even in handles people can have preferences.

About cheap or not, you just said that money is not always quality, then what is quality? i did said that they recommended me a cheaper option than butterfly but even their option wasn't the cheapest, and i don't know if that choice also a good one, and now you told me it is a sensible offensive choice, so is that a good thing or bad thing to start with? i thought you or members here wanted me to start with All around or Off- first rather than fast or offensive ones, and even with that there are better choices than this model in specific, so i don't want to rush and buy it to find it good but not what i look for, and they don't sell it cheaper here than the online, so even i don't feel ok with their recommendations, the only one who believe in me was the coach in the university, and i told him about blades and he told me go with butterfly, because he knows about me and my style, i won a 3rd place in his sports office when he started a small open tournament for students, and i was using an offensive racket that time, so i don't think he wanted me to go back to cheaper all around like i am starting again, and it will be very easy if i buy a fast or medium blade to play with him or train with him, so if he knew that i am a beginner or not that high level then he will never tell me to go with offensive blade or Butterfly blade, and i told him about that Yasaka Max Wood, and he said it is ok but i need something better, and asked me who told you or recommended you about it, i told him some, so it is either i listen to him or listen to others who don't know about me and my playing style.

At the end, it sounds you are recommending my a type of racket not a brand, in fact this will make it even harder, because the type you are recommending me to go with is a lot, i said butterfly and that narrowed it to about 200+ something, but you said All around and that can go over 400 options, and i may go with Butterfly all around, but something telling me that people me to avoid an expensive names whatever and go with cheaper options that can do the job, but even with cheap options i can't tell what i should get, and again, should i also believe about what you are telling me about just starting with all around and not listen to that coach i know in university?

Same with rubbers, i can't decide on one yet, i said Tenergy as option but not as must, and also we don't have much options in my area, if i go with online then i can buy many things, if i only buy locally then i am left with few options, and Tenergy is most expensive sure but not that expensive if i can buy blades from top names, i will have a budget soon very soon as it is the time now this month, and i think i am able to afford some reasonable prices or little over, so before i do anything i have to be sure that i chose the right one that will last long rather than something that i start with and it is ok good but i will think to upgrade very soon, i am an offensive player not as that coach in the club told me, and in fact he recommended me Butterfly immediately from beginning before he tests me with few balls returning, in fact if he didn't test me i may end up with his fast blade recommendation, so i doubt he is really honest as he want to sell after all, even coaching me by him will cost me more than the blade and rubber, so i don't want to feel he wanted to get paid more than he is helping me, and what i will do is, when i get a budget is to buy the blade i want, and then pay membership ad play against one of his trainers and see how are their training and level quality so far.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It is, and i am sorry if that second language caused a lot of troubles [trolls] to you here, enjoy your time!!! ;)
Not at all - you still have a lot to learn about your 2nd language and table tennis. And you are trying to learn, unfortunately, not as quickly as some would like, but you are doing well.

This user has no status.
also,quality depends on various factors,not only price.

These include wood used,how its glued,the size of each ply etc,the QC that was done after etc.

True, and why that coach and the salesman didn't tell me about all these details? it is like they have no clue about those and they just recommend according to their use or handle or experience, and about rackets specifications, if i didn't come here or search the net i may end up just playing blindly without knowing the type of rackets and materials and so ever, i should know some basics or fundamentals before i even play, but i played in the past and what a shame i wasn't reading about the TT details.

Well, i hope even this will not be a problem, because i can't trust them to make that custom racket for me, they may not glue it good, they may cut something, they may do anything to my custom racket if i don't watch them so i will be forced to go back to them and pay them again, always when business is involved you can't trust the salesmen much these days unless you know them very well [unfortunately not much in my country].

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Not at all - you still have a lot to learn about your 2nd language and table tennis. And you are trying to learn, unfortunately, not as quickly as some would like, but you are doing well.

Don't worry about my 2nd language, and also don't worry about my TT, it will not be a tragedy if i couldn't learn good in both, at the end it all comes to how long or often i use/practice both [2nd language/TT].

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
True, and why that coach and the salesman didn't told me about all these details? it is like they have no clue about those and they just recommend according to their use or handle or experience, and about rackets specifications, if i didn't come here or search the net i may end up just playing blindly without knowing the type of rackets and materials and so ever, i should know some basics or fundamentals before i even play, but i played in the past and what a shame i wasn't reading about the TT details.

Well, i hope even this will not a problem, because i can't trust them to make that custom blade for me, they may not glue it good, they may cut something, they may do anything to my custom racket if i don't watch them so i will be forced to go back to them and pay them again, always when business is involved you can't trust the salesmen much these days unless you know them very well [unfortunately not much in my country].

Ah, this post helped me understand you much better. I am from a country like that originally. And I see where your posts are coming from in general now.

This user has no status.
Ah, this post helped me understand you much better. I am from a country like that originally. And I see where your posts are coming from in general now.

Thank God finally you understand, if i didn't mention it you may never know and still in that puzzle circle [maybe you still].

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thank God finally you understand, if i didn't mention it you may never know and still in that puzzle circle [maybe you still].

Well, all I can say is that your situation does not change the advice we have given you. The only difference is that I can understand your skepticism, but that you need to understand that table tennis is less about equipment and more about skill. If you give a better player bad equipment and a worse player good equipment but both equipment are still usable, the equipment will not change the result. But I can see why you might need a nice blade if some people will not take you seriously unless you have the right brand name. Back where I come from though, the coach at the club I went to (I estimated him at 2200-2300 because he was giving me 5 points and the games were still competitive) was using a very old Primorac Wood with Joola Extra Energy rubbers. But in general, because the coaches have to make money, sometimes, they don't teach you in the fastest way - they sometimes spend too much time wasting your time unless you are a talent junior.

This user has no status.
Well, all I can say is that your situation does not change the advice we have given you. The only difference is that I can understand your skepticism, but that you need to understand that table tennis is less about equipment and more about skill. If you give a better player bad equipment and a worse player good equipment but both equipment are still usable, the equipment will not change the result. But I can see why you might need a nice blade if some people will not take you seriously unless you have the right brand name. Back where I come from though, the coach at the club I went to (I estimated him at 2200-2300 because he was giving me 5 points and the games were still competitive) was using a very old Primorac Wood with Joola Extra Energy rubbers. But in general, because the coaches have to make money, sometimes, they don't teach you in the fastest way - they sometimes spend too much time wasting your time unless you are a talent junior.

And that is where i feel maybe he didn't know about my real skill, and maybe he wanted me to spend money on him, either with coaching which i feel it is really much, but it is his business, or buy going with different blades or rackets so he can get money out of me by changing blades by time and i improve quickly, at the end whatever blade or racket i will buy i must use it, believe me, if have a bad racket and i really very interested in to learn and play with full desire then i will put that blade for amazing play, but if i am not interested in TT much and i just want to waste time and very moody, i am sure even if you give me all type of blades in the world, i will do nothing, and even if go with coaching, i may waste his time and he is wasting my time because we both don't take it seriously and at the end i will be the loser because i pay him, and coach to coach are different, i saw him and saw another coach, and to my eyes, they both have so different behave even they teach same thing.

I can't wait to play, if i will have a good enough blade then i will call them and ask if i pay membership and without a racket and if they can give me one to play with, if they said yes but with another payment then it is more about money than playing, and i will buy a racket first then i register for membership and then play with whomever i can find there, or wait longer until student go back to university where i was studied and play there free.

I tested that Butterfly Wakaba II, it was good but wasn't fast, control is not bad, but when i tried fast hits, it didn't help me much, it forced me to play slow most of the time than fast play, i managed to have good fast hits sometimes, but what i miss was more, and i tried the coach blade and that was a winner, less control but i had more winner shots and fast hits were 95% successful, so i wasn't sure if i really shouldn't go with fast blade because you and someone asked me not to, or i go with how i feel and play, with this university coach i never fear and i play with my real style/skill and i was enjoying, so my play against him was smooth and i am more relaxed, opposite to that club i went.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The Wakaba is a low quality premade blade so don't confuse it with an ALL+/OFF- blade.

My final advice is that you are going to play for fun - buy what you enjoy playing with. Do know that if you ever want to get good coaching, you may have some trouble learning good strokes with a faster blade. But it is not impossible - it is just harder. Also, when people attack you, it is harder to absorb the ball with feeling with a faster blade. The mistake that many people make when they start table tennis is that they only think of their own shots, but as you get better, you have to understand that your opponent is also hitting the ball, and that you need to learn to reflect and add to his power so your power looks great, but you only added to his power so you didn't do much but you look really good ;). This is easier with a fast blade, but also hard to control with a fast blade, so it is usually recommended you get something not to fast, not too slow, so that you can add power and not be scared of swinging back if your opponent attacks you with power and you don't go too far from the table. The other thing is that if you learn from good players, the way you attack fast now will improve and when it improves, you will be able to hit the ball much better even with the ALL+/OFF- blade.

I mean, I remember one player I played back home, he used the same Titanium Carbon blade that I hated. He liked the power of the blade because he smashed with his backhand a lot. He beat a lot of people he played with because he had some training. But when he played me, he had no chance unless I lazily put a ball in front of him for him to smash (which I sometimes brought back), because he could not control any of my attacks. I used a clipper wood, but the difference was that when he attacked, I had enough feel and control to bring it back, but when I used topspin, he did not know how to control it.

Cutting a very long story short, my friend, buy whatever you want to buy. But try not to buy something too fast in case you ever want to get coaching and someone really wants to teach you good strokes, okay? You can still learn but it will just take you much longer.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The Wakaba is a low quality premade blade so don't confuse it with an ALL+/OFF- blade.

My final advice is that you are going to play for fun - buy what you enjoy playing with. Do know that if you ever want to get good coaching, you may have some trouble learning good strokes with a faster blade. But it is not impossible - it is just harder. Also, when people attack you, it is harder to absorb the ball with feeling with a faster blade. The mistake that many people make when they start table tennis is that they only think of their own shots, but as you get better, you have to understand that your opponent is also hitting the ball, and that you need to learn to reflect and add to his power so your power looks great, but you only added to his power so you didn't do much but you look really good ;). This is easier with a fast blade, but also hard to control with a fast blade, so it is usually recommended you get something not to fast, not too slow, so that you can add power and not be scared of swinging back if your opponent attacks you with power and you don't go too far from the table. The other thing is that if you learn from good players, the way you attack fast now will improve and when it improves, you will be able to hit the ball much better even with the ALL+/OFF- blade.

I mean, I remember one player I played back home, he used the same Titanium Carbon blade that I hated. He liked the power of the blade because he smashed with his backhand a lot. He beat a lot of people he played with because he had some training. But when he played me, he had no chance unless I lazily put a ball in front of him for him to smash (which I sometimes brought back), because he could not control any of my attacks. I used a clipper wood, but the difference was that when he attacked, I had enough feel and control to bring it back, but when I used topspin, he did not know how to control it.

Cutting a very long story short, my friend, buy whatever you want to buy. But try not to buy something too fast in case you ever want to get coaching and someone really wants to teach you good strokes, okay? You can still learn but it will just take you much longer.

No, i will not buy something too fast, at the end i accepted to go with Primorac Off-, it is a good all around one as you said here, not expensive, and i think it will give me good time, so no need much to look around or keep that options open, just i hope i can find that Primorac version available in my area rather than i order online and wait so long.