"Euro" vs "Chinese" Play Style

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Its not Serbian guys, its chinese, didn't you see the lettering in the background. If somebody wears a shirt with Chinese written on it , or even if he/she plays with chinese letters in the background , it has to be chinese !!

Well, what do you know. You are right. I read it. It says Ma Long Chinese Forehand in Chinese. Those guys are both using the Ma Long Chinese Forehand. It even works for tennis. See that. It doesn't matter that they are using a totally different grip from each other or from a table tennis player. That is the Ma Long Chinese Tennis Forehand they are employing. Skills.

Now with this realization and my new Chinese style footwork, my Chinese style push and flip, my Chinese style serve and attack, my Chinese style crunches and cross-training, my Chinese style shirt and shorts, my Chinese Pro, National, Blue Sponge Tenergy with Haifu Oil booster, my Ma Long's personal H3 National Blue Sponge, my Chinese style Mizuno National version Shoes and my Chinese style National, Pro socks and underwear, I will be top 4 in the world. That's all it takes. Especially the socks and underwear. Who needs training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Ma Long's personal H3 National Blue Sponge BOB Square Pro Underpants !!

The thing is, its very hard to digest, and I say this about pretty much everybody, that somebody is way way better than the others.

If someone is , whether its Ma Long or Zhang Jike or Djokovic or Serena , there has to be something illegal or some other secret mojo. That and that only can gratify our egos. Now we have some more information about the Djoker or Serena , so with them it has to be gluten free diet or some such fad that we can adopt easily and be rest assured that we are on the same track as the World Champions ! With Ma Long and Zhang Jike , now they have "Secret Training" before the olympics , so its very easy to understand what it does to vox populi . We have no clue about what they write or even what they speak , so it has to be either their rubber, or their forehand technique that can only be taught by the "Monkey King" who comes back every 200 years.

So its very very difficult for us to accept that its regular blood and sweat and hours and hours of practice that has made this impossible possible because if that is the reason, then its very mundane , but we cannot do it !

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ma Long's personal H3 National Blue Sponge BOB Square Pro Underpants !!

The thing is, its very hard to digest, and I say this about pretty much everybody, that somebody is way way better than the others.

If someone is , whether its Ma Long or Zhang Jike or Djokovic or Serena , there has to be something illegal or some other secret mojo. That and that only can gratify our egos. Now we have some more information about the Djoker or Serena , so with them it has to be gluten free diet or some such fad that we can adopt easily and be rest assured that we are on the same track as the World Champions ! With Ma Long and Zhang Jike , now they have "Secret Training" before the olympics , so its very easy to understand what it does to vox populi . We have no clue about what they write or even what they speak , so it has to be either their rubber, or their forehand technique that can only be taught by the "Monkey King" who comes back every 200 years.

So its very very difficult for us to accept that its regular blood and sweat and hours and hours of practice that has made this impossible possible because if that is the reason, then its very mundane , but we cannot do it !

What are you saying here? Are you confused? I thought you had just proven that this is all about the Chinese forehand....:confused:

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What are you saying here? Are you confused? I thought you had just proven that this is all about the Chinese forehand....:confused:

Don't forget the Pro National socks and underwear. What would the Chinese forehand do for a Serbian without those.

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
Djokovik's real advantage is from the spells he casts with his off hand. He is a Hybrid Necro/Mage lvl. 30/30 and adds speed to his shots while sapping the life force from his opponents..Very clever and difficult for the umpires to spot in real time. Having his wand strung with real cat gut enhances his powers.
attachment.php

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"Euro" vs "Chinese" Play Style

I think this is related to the original discussion.

So, I was playing with a friend last night. We've always been pretty close in level. He's always been a bit better than me.

About 6 months ago he said: "I'm tired of being 17-1800. I've decided, in 6 months I'm going to be 2200. End of story. Here's the date; it's November 15th, by May 15th I'm gonna be 2200 or I'm gonna quit!"

So last night he was making jokes about it. "I've got 3 days! I've gotta do it." I had forgotten and I am pretty sure I said this to him then too but last night I said: "You know, if you really want to break 2200 you are going to have to do A LOT of training!"

His response--and I am pretty comfortable that he gave the same response back then--was: "I don't want to do drills. I think there is another way. The difference between both of us and a 2200 player is not technique. We just make too many mistakes and they make better decisions."

The last time I sent him the Train Ugly video about why you want to train the random element. Somewhere in talking about training, I realized his idea about what training was was basically crosscourt counterhitting.

So I explained again, that if he wanted to jump 4-500 points in just 6 months, he would really have to train. But he would actually need to learn how to train. And that a 2200 level player hits faster, harder, with more spin, with less effort and stays in balance so he is more ready for the next ball. I also explained the difference in the level of touch between 1800-2200.

Well, the idea of just adding a big FH without knowing when to use it and without the crazy hours of training that the CNT players have put in that enables them to know when to use which technique, it's just kind of naïve to think that things are that simple.

If you watch FZD, he often uses very short, all forearm snap strokes on his FH. That technique which is often called "chicken wing" by people who don't like how Timo Boll's FH looks. I always used the term "chicken wing" to refer to when someone's elbow goes up higher than the racket. But....

For getting that much better in such a short time there is no shortcut. You have to put in the time.

For me, this is what I think I would need to do:

5 days a week: 4 hour training sessions. 2 hours with one 2500+ level coach. 2 hours with a second 2500+ level coach.

On those 5 days another 2 hours of match play with as many different opponents as possible.

And then a sixth day with about 4 hours of match play with as many different players as possible.

The level of the players for match play would have to progress as I improve.

And with that there is no guarantee that I would get there. And it is as likely that I would get injured along the way. But, there is no way I would get to 2200 in 6 months without at least that much. At least. Perhaps a year is more likely even with that.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl and Next Level have seen enough of my game.

As a "Rambo" Looper, maybe I would be categorized like a Radio advertizement for Dos Eques beer while the announcer is describing attributes of the "most interesting man in the World"...

There are TWO types of people in the World. He is NEITHER.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Carl and Next Level have seen enough of my game.

As a "Rambo" Looper, maybe I would be categorized like a Radio advertizement for Dos Eques beer while the announcer is describing attributes of the "most interesting man in the World"...

Nah - there are two types of people in the world. You are THE ONE!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
just because you say you want to be 2200 and you train like hell to be 2200 it doesn't mean you will be 2200.
maybe you will, maybe you won't, but it's not 100% sure that just because you train you'll get there.

That is absolutely true. And with the amount of training I laid out, at 51, it is more likely that I would get injured before I got to 2200 anyway. But what I was saying was, with less than that amount of training, I don't think there is any way I would get to 2200 within a 6 month period which was what my friend's goal was.

And my friend who thinks he can get there without training, even if it is training in a different way than what he thinks of as training, he isn't going to get to 2200 without training either.

If I'm honest, seeing that I am not able to play 1/3 as much as I used to, and it is likely that in 6 months to a year I will not be able to play even that much, that I will never break 2000 even. I am okay with that. I don't train or play to get higher level. I do like working on technique but that is also why my technique is better than my game play, and lots of guys whose technique isn't as good are still better than me. And I would be fooling myself if I thought I was higher level than I am.

Reactions: ttmonster