Japan National Championships 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How come you think so? Isn't JSH or just today Ruwen Filus proving you wrong then?

Many defenders don't consider Filus a defender - he is an attacker who sometimes chops on backhand and uses pips in their view. And Joo has a level limitation - his teammates usually beat him easily.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
what was the last time we saw a defender winning a world title ?

Good point. But still every once in a while a good defender manages to beat some top players. When i look at guys like Wang Xi or Gionis they manage to have some good statistics in the TTBL although they certainly wouldn't play so succesful in CTTSL.

Many defenders don't consider Filus a defender - he is an attacker who sometimes chops on backhand and uses pips in their view. And Joo has a level limitation - his teammates usually beat him easily.

I have to agree, but then again I thought modern defense was played that way. Gionis or Wang Xi also rarely chop from the FH side and are also quite good at looping even though i have to admit that their styles are totally different to Filus' style.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
That's the problem. Every once in a while a top defender beats a good player but true top players (almost) never lose a top defender

JOO was the exception at his peak. In women's it's a bit less true. Han Ying or Wu Yang can beat any non Chinese player, but they are both Chinese...

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
No Yoshimura or Oshima? I would throw Niwa out I think... for 2 years his results are disappointing, but he keeps on being in the top 20, I don't know how, every tournament he loses to someone ranked way below him and never wins someone above him. He needs a wake up call

I agree they should kick Niwa. His loss to Ueda in this championship was a disgrace

unfortunately they said that the 2 best ranked players would be part of the team, so Niwa was part of it.

Niwa had a miraculous win against WONG Chuting in the Olympics in singles and that kind of saved him.

Yoshimura (Masaharu) and Oshima have disappointed a lot recently. They had very bad results recently especially after the Olympics.

I'm surprised Muramatsu is part of the team, given the limitations of his defensive style. I don't think he can get better results than he does now.
For Women's, i agree with Sato being chosen. She is really good. Defensive style works better for Women's as the topspin attacks are less powerful. Sato is very good at counterattack as well. Her footwork is impressive and her fighting spirit excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: doraemon