Developing player with some potential :)

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
In my experience, most coaches focus on fundamentals that enables a higher ceiling in the long term, rather than quick-fixes of "tricks" that would let you get 1 or 2 more points in games. So in order to really improve, you would need lots of lessons regularly.
Some of my club-mates who are of decent level and who has never been trained formally has this warped view that a coach is to teach you tactics or tricks to win points. They will say, you pay him XX per hour amt of dollars, he should have taught you this and that. He should have taught you this pro player's serve or that pro players serve etc. However, all I was ever taught was just the pendulum serve.

Initially, I, too got influenced with that kind of thoughts. Then, as I persevered on, I realised my coach is not teaching me tricks for some cheap points but rather a skill set that can develop over time. He is laying a foundation upon which I can build on for the long haul. It is useless to put in all the bells and whistle on a poorly built machine.

These very same player who solely rely on cheap service tricks may win some points from me ever now and then, but as I progress, it is becoming more and more difficult to win cheap points off me as my foundation begins to solidy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jammmail
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Some of my club-mates who are of decent level and who has never been trained formally has this warped view that a coach is to teach you tactics or tricks to win points. They will say, you pay him XX per hour amt of dollars, he should have taught you this and that. He should have taught you this pro player's serve or that pro players serve etc. However, all I was ever taught was just the pendulum serve.

Initially, I, too got influenced with that kind of thoughts. Then, as I persevered on, I realised my coach is not teaching me tricks for some cheap points but rather a skill set that can develop over time. He is laying a foundation upon which I can build on for the long haul. It is useless to put in all the bells and whistle on a poorly built machine.

These very same player who solely rely on cheap service tricks may win some points from me ever now and then, but as I progress, it is becoming more and more difficult to win cheap points off me as my foundation begins to solidy.
It's about aligning what the coach offers and what the player wants. Not all players aim to be USTA 2200. Working on foundation is good, but for me the unique selling point of a coach is their wisdom, not their multiball feeding - that can be largely replaced by a robot or a training partner. It would be ideal if I can just hire a coach for 5 minutes, get some advice on a specific stroke, then go away and practices.

Coaching is good, but in my opinion most coaches are far from as effective as they can be. Of course, for beginners, robots and practice with similar level players are not as viable.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's about aligning what the coach offers and what the player wants. Not all players aim to be USTA 2200. Working on foundation is good, but for me the unique selling point of a coach is their wisdom, not their multiball feeding - that can be largely replaced by a robot or a training partner. It would be ideal if I can just hire a coach for 5 minutes, get some advice on a specific stroke, then go away and practices.

Coaching is good, but in my opinion most coaches are far from as effective as they can be. Of course, for beginners, robots and practice with similar level players are not as viable.
This is the point. It isn't unique to table tennis, it is applicable to all forms of coaching. And even coaches who sometimes develop players aren't always developing them optimally, the problem is that it takes a trained eye to know that the coach is not giving you good training. But the main point is that coaches should figure out what a player's goals are, and what kinds of problems are in their game and tailor the coaching around something that aligns with those goals. Not just do some general training that might make the player look beautiful, but which doesn't make them win matches. Of course, if the player wants to look beautiful, that is good and the coach should do that. But when you see a good coach investing in a player, you can tell that the difference between that and the coach who is just giving basic lessons is massive. Like I said, whether for fee or free, if your coach has never seen you play or asked what problems are currently in your game, or done some diagnostic on your skill level before training you, he is just taking your money. It doesn't mean you won't get better, but it does mean that you are likely not getting advice that cuts to the heart of things that you need to work on to solve the problems that currently keep you from getting better.

That said, when starting out, there are usually so many things that are wrong with your game, that just about anything will improve it. This is what sometimes makes people believe they are getting good coaching when they are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: hclnnkhg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

I think the value of a coach is not that 5 minutes, it's that he can watch you again and again and address your problems in real time. My experience is that it's unlikely that you can perform a stroke correctly after 5 minutes of advice. I don't have a coach, and when I try to develop a new stroke, I need to record myself, watch it, compare it to the form I want, correct it, record again, then rinse and repeat many, many times, sometimes with recordings from multiple angles. It's a tedious process, and even then I won't get it right. When I feel that I'm getting close, I post some videos on here to seek more advice, then process what works for me and what doesn't, then go back to doing the same thing again and again.

With a good, attentive coach this process can ideally be shortened significantly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I don't blame the guy. Similar to what NL said. This guy became good at TT as a kid. He probably learnt good technique naturally and there was never any need to explain how to execute the technique well. It happens to all of us. We easily "forget" what it was like before we knew the skill, especially if we learnt as kids.

This has happened to me several times. A guy in my team has incredible footwork and an amazing forehand. I asked him questions early on, until I realized, he has zero answers.. it's all guesswork and he has developed these things as a byproduct of tons of training and probably by watching other good players. I'm finding no answers here. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that I used to be so surprised. I thought all the good players and coaches had all the answers.

This is a pretty interesting concept. Experts often forget (at least consciously) the details of what they once learned since their knowledge has become ingrained and automatic, especially when technique has become muscle memory. I saw a concise description of this phenomenon recently in this video
(from pop philosophy guru Manson, but still valid).

As you say, the theory suggests that some coaches might be experts at a technique and still be incapable of describing the nuances of said technique to students. A coach that can perform and accurately describe those nuances would be the thoughtful type that is interested in why they know what they 'know.'

As an adult learner picking up the sport after 40, I'm still unsure if whether I'll develop faster understanding the ins-and-outs of a technique from more descriptive coaching, or if this sort of overthinking might get in the way of a more 'natural' skill acquisition.

The solution I'm trying out, which I pulled from a Huberman lab podcast, is to only focus on one singular aspect of a given technique during one training session. So for FH loop, some sessions I'll only concentrate on brushing contact, some I will focus on finishing with a proper salute, some on footwork, some on weight transfer, etc. There are apparently some studies that suggest that this focused attention on one aspect of a movement results in accelerated skill acquisition compared to the more unfocused 'natural' training. If anyone is interested in this concept, you can hear it described in this video:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think the value of a coach is not that 5 minutes, it's that he can watch you again and again and address your problems in real time. My experience is that it's unlikely that you can perform a stroke correctly after 5 minutes of advice. I don't have a coach, and when I try to develop a new stroke, I need to record myself, watch it, compare it to the form I want, correct it, record again, then rinse and repeat many, many times, sometimes with recordings from multiple angles. It's a tedious process, and even then I won't get it right. When I feel that I'm getting close, I post some videos on here to seek more advice, then process what works for me and what doesn't, then go back to doing the same thing again and again.

With a good, attentive coach this process can ideally be shortened significantly.
I have seen coaches give advanced players one or two lessons and helped them massively improve so it isn't about repetition per se, it is more about whether the coach is giving you something you really need at the level you are at. It is a complicated question no doubt, but the main thing here I am focusing on is whether the coach is invested in your improvement. People who have never worked with coaches invested in their improvement will have no clue what I am talking about, and people who have will know exactly what I am talking about. My second coach used to follow me to tournaments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I have seen coaches give advanced players one or two lessons and helped them massively improve so it isn't about repetition per se, it is more about whether the coach is giving you something you really need at the level you are at. It is a complicated question no doubt, but the main thing here I am focusing on is whether the coach is invested in your improvement. People who have never worked with coaches invested in their improvement will have no clue what I am talking about, and people who have will know exactly what I am talking about. My second coach used to follow me to tournaments.
When I can back to TT last year I hired a coach for 4 sessions. He's a highly rated player in the 2400-2500 range. I did 3 sessions with him and all he did was run some drills with me. I got little input on how to improve. I still have a session left to use because I'm struggling to figure out what's the most effective way to use him, as he certainly isn't making it obvious how he can help me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
When I can back to TT last year I hired a coach for 4 sessions. He's a highly rated player in the 2400-2500 range. I did 3 sessions with him and all he did was run some drills with me. I got little input on how to improve. I still have a session left to use because I'm struggling to figure out what's the most effective way to use him, as he certainly isn't making it obvious how he can help me.
Sometimes for those one session tutorials, you need to find the right kind of coach. The level doesn't sound high enough IMHO, or the style might not be quite right as you need a thinking player. Talking to them about how they see serve and serve return is often critical to understanding what they find important. One coach I have often thought about going to his camp is someone like Stellan. When Barry Dattel was still alive, he was awesome. I have not been fortunate enough to do a lesson with Cory at Lily Yip, but he has a very strong technical and tactical mind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
This is a pretty interesting concept. Experts often forget (at least consciously) the details of what they once learned since their knowledge has become ingrained and automatic, especially when technique has become muscle memory. I saw a concise description of this phenomenon recently in this video

As you say, the theory suggests that some coaches might be experts at a technique and still be incapable of describing the nuances of said technique to students. A coach that can perform and accurately describe those nuances would be the thoughtful type that is interested in why they know what they 'know.'

As an adult learner picking up the sport after 40, I'm still unsure if whether I'll develop faster understanding the ins-and-outs of a technique from more descriptive coaching, or if this sort of overthinking might get in the way of a more 'natural' skill acquisition.

The solution I'm trying out, which I pulled from a Huberman lab podcast, is to only focus on one singular aspect of a given technique during one training session. So for FH loop, some sessions I'll only concentrate on brushing contact, some I will focus on finishing with a proper salute, some on footwork, some on weight transfer, etc. There are apparently some studies that suggest that this focused attention on one aspect of a movement results in accelerated skill acquisition compared to the more unfocused 'natural' training. If anyone is interested in this concept, you can hear it described in this video:
This is exactly the advice given to me by world class tennis player Casper Ruud, deliberate practice!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This is exactly the advice given to me by world class tennis player Casper Ruud, deliberate practice!
You never answered my question about whether you think your pristine technique will help you beat the Norwegian players without the pristine technique and what the reason for your answer was

One can deliberately practice many things and even improve those things, it is still important to know what those things are supposed to contribute to in the context of winning if one is interested in winning.

Many things in TT have a threshold they have to get to to make a huge difference in your game. So one can improve many things without seeing massive improvement or improve one thing and see great improvement.

This user has no status.
I find those who trained since young under proper coaches tend to be a bit worse in coaching compared to those who had to figure a lot of stuff out by themselves - there's a ton of stuff that they do automatically that they simply take for granted - and it may not be that obvious to those who are starting in the sport. I too had some lessons with some of these players and it was a bit useless. What helped me a lot more was the tutorials on Douyin by exCNT pros (全世爆,孙浩泓)which is worth their weight in gold.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I think BRS started after the age of 40, and he is very much against overthinking, in fact, whenever I make an elaborate story around technical control, he points out such verbiage doesn't help him at all.

Ultimate if you get better in TT at playing matches, it will be through some kind of progressive overload with the right kinds of experiences. Many people spend way too much time practicing rally shots when serve and return is where the gold is. If you can develop skills that make you a good practice partner for better players (so you can train with/against them) and then compete in tournaments/leagues that expose you to other kinds of players so you can see what kinds of experiences you need to round things out, then I think that is pretty close to the ideal.

And of course, if you don't have the time to spend, don't get too frustrated about progress or lack thereof.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I think BRS started after the age of 40, and he is very much against overthinking, in fact, whenever I make an elaborate story around technical control, he points out such verbiage doesn't help him at all.

Ultimate if you get better in TT at playing matches, it will be through some kind of progressive overload with the right kinds of experiences. Many people spend way too much time practicing rally shots when serve and return is where the gold is. If you can develop skills that make you a good practice partner for better players (so you can train with/against them) and then compete in tournaments/leagues that expose you to other kinds of players so you can see what kinds of experiences you need to round things out, then I think that is pretty close to the ideal.

And of course, if you don't have the time to spend, don't get too frustrated about progress or lack thereof.

Thanks for you input in this thread (and throughout the forum for that matter). Given that I'm about 30 sessions deep in 1 hour coaching sessions, and am still correcting my form, is it too early to worry that my coach is putting aside my match play ability for the future? I'm still refining technique and there's still a lot to learn on that front.

Right now, it's still just drilling strokes and footwork. The progression is generally like this:
1. FH stationary
2. FH 2 points
3. BH
4. BH + Steparound FH
5. Falkenberg
6. Short pushing
7. FH open-up against backspin then play out point

Every now and then we will mix in BH open-ups, and serve/receive but that's still very minimal.

My impression is that he wants to continue to correct my strokes and footwork until he's comfortable that it becomes second nature and that going to use it in matchplay. I know people progress at different speeds and this beginning stage can be longer or shorter for me than for others, but at what point should I be concerned that there's still no emphasis on matchplay tactics and analysis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for you input in this thread (and throughout the forum for that matter). Given that I'm about 30 sessions deep in 1 hour coaching sessions, and am still correcting my form, is it too early to worry that my coach is putting aside my match play ability for the future? I'm still refining technique and there's still a lot to learn on that front.

Right now, it's still just drilling strokes and footwork. The progression is generally like this:
1. FH stationary
2. FH 2 points
3. BH
4. BH + Steparound FH
5. Falkenberg
6. Short pushing
7. FH open-up against backspin then play out point

Every now and then we will mix in BH open-ups, and serve/receive but that's still very minimal.

My impression is that he wants to continue to correct my strokes and footwork until he's comfortable that it becomes second nature and that going to use it in matchplay. I know people progress at different speeds and this beginning stage can be longer or shorter for me than for others, but at what point should I be concerned that there's still no emphasis on matchplay tactics and analysis?
The main point here is that it shouldn't be an impression, he needs to know your goals, you need to know his plan for you, and then you both need to figure out the intersection. He might assume you are playing somewhere on the days you don't train with him, and the things you are learning are working? Or he may assume that you are happy with what is going on because you have voiced no complaints?

I encourage you to discuss what your goals are with your coach and to determine whether his philosophy is right for your goals, regardless of whether your goals are reasonable or not - as long as you are polite, and coaches are not in extremely high demand, they will always make time for you. It really is up to you to ask the hard questions, some coaches make assumptions about adult learners that may be inappropriate for you.

Let me ask the kinds of questions I would ask you based on what you just wrote:
1) how many hours do you get coaching every week?
2) outside of coaching, how many hours/days do you play every week?
3) if you do not play outside of coaching, is that because of your coach or because of you?
4) if you ask your coach about something and discuss broader table tennis, what kind of conversation is result?
5) if you discussed a match where you had a problem with something, how does your coach act in response?
6) do you record your training/coaching sessions?
7) Have you ever discussed playing tournaments or leagues with your coach?

All of these are data points to understand your investment and how your coach might see your level of investment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
You never answered my question about whether you think your pristine technique will help you beat the Norwegian players without the pristine technique and what the reason for your answer was
I am sorry. I must have missed the context of what makes this important, or deemed it as not important to answer. The way my arm moves is just not what I am working on right now and there are only so many things you can improve at the same time to not lose focus and deliberation. Also, I think its important to strictly distinguish interaction with people on the internet from the relationships and feedback you get from people offline. I also have an online coach that watches videos of me, but the coach at the club is focused on building everything from where my feet is planted in each shot; so, untill I am able to properly adjust my feet to every ball, he is not going to pick on the details of my armswing. I believe this method is the right one because muscle memory is "programmed" for the whole body at the same time, meaning that if you learn a stroke when your feet is planted wrong, it is hard to translate that into moving your feet differently .... or maybe its just two different ways to Rome. Right now, its very hard for me to improve my reaction times because I have this habit from training with a robot that makes me not properly perceive the movement of my opponents racket to earn valuable milliseconds to adjust my position. Table tennis is so hard! I just have to practice practice practice. In matches, all the technique things quickly go out the window and I just use my reach and slow racket to win points on awkward balls.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
why is it that you cannot learn the right mechanics with a faster blade? I mean of course it can be hard to learn with certain equipment due to what it requires. But skill should not only be a produkt of what you use but what you put into your training? For instance if your equipment is more forgiving you will eventually have to adjust to a faster setup later in your journey? Where is the balance? Ofc the fastest blade is not right but is there a middle ground? Thank you for your input👍👌 great feedback.
I blv it is sequnetial ,you need to develop the intuition first by eliminating all other unnecessary factors , the more your reduce the problem, the better you will get the intuition faster. A carbon blade will add an extra factor or two. You might eventually overcome this but I blv you will lose a bit more time and in TT, it is crucial. Early days but I saw Hana Goda changing her blade to Cybershape and boy I feel like she committed many unforced errors in some matchs I watched.
Adding to that,I saw Dima many times talking negatively about the outer ALC blades so ...

Jan 2023
I am sorry. I must have missed the context of what makes this important, or deemed it as not important to answer. The way my arm moves is just not what I am working on right now and there are only so many things you can improve at the same time to not lose focus and deliberation. Also, I think its important to strictly distinguish interaction with people on the internet from the relationships and feedback you get from people offline. I also have an online coach that watches videos of me, but the coach at the club is focused on building everything from where my feet is planted in each shot; so, untill I am able to properly adjust my feet to every ball, he is not going to pick on the details of my armswing. I believe this method is the right one because muscle memory is "programmed" for the whole body at the same time, meaning that if you learn a stroke when your feet is planted wrong, it is hard to translate that into moving your feet differently .... or maybe its just two different ways to Rome. Right now, its very hard for me to improve my reaction times because I have this habit from training with a robot that makes me not properly perceive the movement of my opponents racket to earn valuable milliseconds to adjust my position. Table tennis is so hard! I just have to practice practice practice. In matches, all the technique things quickly go out the window and I just use my reach and slow racket to win points on awkward balls.
Sounds like the robot practice is sub-optimal if it encourages bad habits...maybe you should re-consider how the robot may be utilised.

Also, since muscle memory is programmed for the whole body at the same time, wouldn't you want to "program" good footwork with good arm-swing? Focusing on footwork only while ignoring arm-swing would be detrimental because that would become another bad habit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Sounds like the robot practice is sub-optimal if it encourages bad habits...maybe you should re-consider how the robot may be utilised.

Also, since muscle memory is programmed for the whole body at the same time, wouldn't you want to "program" good footwork with good arm-swing? Focusing on footwork only while ignoring arm-swing would be detrimental because that would become another bad habit.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

It probably depends on the robot as well. Once I'm comfortable with a technique I often set mine to a supra-realistic speed where the next ball would come before my shot even lands on the table. This way I get no warning of where the next shot is going and I train myself to react to unexpected locations. Good players can be very good at disguising the direction of the shot, so I do find this helpful.

As for your second paragraph, I don't think it's that important. In my experience you can develop each technique separately. With footwork, for someone like @z0uLess it's mostly mental. He just needs to develop a habit to move to the ball instead of reach or lean, and develop a sense of timing on when to move. As for exactly where to move and how much to move can depend on the stroke, but it's easy to adjust as he improves other parts of his technique.

You can't work on everything at the same time, focusing on footwork is one way to do it. Personally I prefer the other way around. I prefer to develop the stroke in a stationary manner first and then add movement. But that may be because I already have decent footwork and it's relatively easy for me to add to a stroke later on.

Reactions: z0uLess