The real reason for ZJK's withdrawl from 2013 World Cup according to LGL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
According to Liu Guoliang's most recent Weibo post of yesterday in response to people's questions about the news of Zhang Jike's withdrawal from 2013 World Cup, ZJK withdrew from the World Cup not because of the injury but because he was told to give the chance to other younger players.

The gist of LGL's post is as follows:

He discussed with ZJK a few days ago about the upcoming World Cup and decided that ZJK is not fit to participate and win because

1) ZJK's lack of training recently
2) ZJK's lack of motivation to play in a major event like the World Cup

It said nothing about the injury.

Therefore, the decision was made that ZJK should not go to this year's World Cup, and, it's in the best interest of Chinese National Team's future that a younger player is given a chance to play in a major world competition. It's not clear from his Weibo post whether ZJK and LGL made the decision together or LGL made the decision for ZJK. LGL said ZJK will have his shot in 2014 and 2015 World Cup, and should gear himself up for 2016 Rio Olympics, thus completing the second round of Grand Slam.

However, one question remains:

Suppose ZJK for whatever reason failed to clinch 2014 World Cup title, how is he going to qualify for 2015 World Cup if the qualification criteria will still be the same as this year's. Is he expected to win 2015 WTTC? If not, he would have to win 2015 Asian Cup. Either way, it would become extremely difficult for him to even get into 2015 World Cup needless to say to win it if he could not win 2014 World Cup.

Liu Guoliang's post in Chinese

lglorginal.jpg

Lui Guoliang's post translated to English

lgltrans.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Oh I saw that hours ago. LGL call it a strategic withdrawal.:cool: First is about ZJK's own condition. Second is the future prospect for zJK himself and the whole team.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Well winning the world cup is easy for a chinese especially if he is on top form. World cup takes place every year so the main target for ZJK is winning the olympics. He has achieved 1/3 of the 2nd grand slam by winning 2013 WTTC.

The difficult part is that he has to be on #1 or #2 seed in 2015 (for certain months like may or june) if he wants to participate in 2016 Rio olympics. That is if the qualification system is the same as 2012 olympics (top two players in may 2011 were ZJK and WH so they were qualified for the london olympics to play in singles)

Till then many things can happen FZD is developing really fast, Zhou Yu is also doing great, and off course XX and ML will have their chance.

I believe that even the if young chinese are in great form at 2015-2016, if ZJK plays as expected he will be given the chance to compete at the Rio olympics by LGL. A chance he deserves to write his own history...extremely difficult task if you ask me.

Only if he wants badly to be the only player in history with 2 grand slams he stands a chance...but anyway there are other things in life besides TT, LGL for example retired very early and created the best table tennis team in history. I dont know what anyone of us would do if we achieved a grand slam so early...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Let me add onto OP with my translation.
Start:

Few days ago, I had a chat with ZJK about the world cup
After a careful dicussion and decision, it (didn't say we) was decided that to give up(ZJK) from a strategic point of view:
1) ZJK has not adjusted to have the desire to face big tournaments (sounds like a problem with ZJK), ZJK's training is not according to schedule/strucutre and is not suitable for participation for big tournaments (at this stage).
2) Grand Slam cylcle (for ZJK) is a 4 year cycle, starting from this year. Is to take the (next) world champs, next year and following years world cup and 2016 Olympics. The whole teams strategy does include giving oppurtunities to younger players.
End.

Basically the translation is same as OP, but I think the sequence of OP may provide mis-understandings.
1) ZJK is not fine now according to "strict" CNT policy
2) ZJK has another 3 years to achieve the 2nd grand slam.

I personally don't see much problems here....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Again who was the idiot that spread the rumor that ZJK Was injured? He crushed XX and shang kun three days ago in the CSL. He is in fair enough condition to win the world cup, but LGL designs his team in the long term so he wants to groom the younger chinese players...end of story

ZJK has injuries without any doubt, I think this point doesn't need any further emphasis. One super league match after the decision won't change the coach's mind on his performance. Don't forget ZJK lost to Yan An several days ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Deng Yaping? Wang Nan? Zhang Yining?
or maybe women's under different law?

No substantial difference between men's and women's team under the same institution. 10 or 20 years ago this problem is even worse than today, though China was facing severer competitions from outside that time. So if you ask me, I feel China is improving on fair play of sports, comparing with the time of Zhuang Zedong, or Koyama Chire (Chinese name is He Zhili). Certainly the performance of a player is the first thing to consider, second may be personal relationships, third is balance-keeping principle.

Part of the reason for name list control is ittf's rules on the numbers of players attending a match, which actually is also a balance strategy over the world. The other is a balance between coaches, players, and provinces because China has many excellent TT players, a trade-off is necessary.

Every society has these factors interacting with each other when nominating a person for something. Politics is an art of compromise.There's trails broadcasting live on TV for World Championships now in China, but world cup and the Olympic Games don't have such mechanisms because there is already a rule on the attending qualification, however the team will choose proper players according to their performance on other matches. Absolute fairness is impossible.

I hope you guys who want to see ZJK's victory won't misread this event too much, to tell the truth, this year's World Cup title put little weight on the possibility for them to play the Rio Olympic, which is the most important for ZJK's second grand slam. Maybe It is only way for him to keep on good conditions until at least the next year before 2016, haha.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Again who was the idiot that spread the rumor that ZJK Was injured? He crushed XX and shang kun three days ago in the CSL. He is in fair enough condition to win the world cup, but LGL designs his team in the long term so he wants to groom the younger chinese players...end of story

annoucement of injury occured after round of 17
who this idiot is, let me check quickly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
No substantial difference between men's and women's team under the same institution. 10 or 20 years ago this problem is even worse than today, though China was facing severer competitions from outside that time. So if you ask me, I feel China is improving on fair play of sports, comparing with the time of Zhuang Zedong, or Koyama Chire (Chinese name is He Zhili). Certainly the performance of a player is the first thing to consider, second may be personal relationships, third is balance-keeping principle.

Part of the reason for name list control is ittf's rules on the numbers of players attending a match, which actually is also a balance strategy over the world. The other is a balance between coaches, players, and provinces because China has many excellent TT players, a trade-off is necessary.

Every society has these factors interacting with each other when nominating a person for something. Politics is an art of compromise.There's trails broadcasting live on TV for World Championships now in China, but world cup and the Olympic Games don't have such mechanisms because there is already a rule on the attending qualification, however the team will choose proper players according to their performance on other matches. Absolute fairness is impossible.

I hope you guys who want to see ZJK's victory won't misread this event too much, to tell the truth, this year's World Cup title put little weight on the possibility for them to play the Rio Olympic, which is the most important for ZJK's second grand slam. Maybe It is only way for him to keep on good conditions until at least the next year before 2016, haha.

Yeah.
by some people think there is some policy that one can't win too much titles in China.
I agree, this year's WC is pointless for ZJK
He rather peak again for next years WC and then again with 2015 WC, and for 2016 OG

If ZJK is good enough, and remain's injury free, and the best Chinese to win, he will go. Sadly ZJK has shown injuries as well as have very poor performance of late. His win's are normal, his losses are not. That is the extra pressure for GS holder

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
When LGL denies the injury then certainly something or someone doesnt have correct and valid information. I dont really care who is Ian Marshall, it is even more ridiculous if he is working for the ITTF.

Besides this isnt the first time that ITTF lacks proper organization system about the news. Even the article writers dont know what they are writing about. If someone works for the ittf doesnt mean anything. When you are a professional you have to be valid and prove your worth.

One can easily understand the lack of organization of ITTF if he/she reads the articles/news announcement and even more worse the youtube videos

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
When LGL denies the injury then certainly something or someone doesnt have correct and valid information. I dont really care who is Ian Marshall, it is even more ridiculous if he is working for the ITTF.

Besides this isnt the first time that ITTF lacks proper organization system about the news. Even the article writers dont know what they are writing about. If someone works for the ittf doesnt mean anything. When you are a professional you have to be valid and prove your worth.

One can easily understand the lack of organization of ITTF if he/she reads the articles/news announcement and even more worse the youtube videos

wow, take it easy, going on troll mode or what?
Ian Marshall is a very respectable guy, so I hope you do some own reserch yourself before you start insulting more people.

I can not find proof that LGL denies the injury. Can you show me where LGL denies the injury without insulting anyone else?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
ZJK has injuries without any doubt, I think this point doesn't need any further emphasis. One super league match after the decision won't change the coach's mind on his performance. Don't forget ZJK lost to Yan An several days ago.

I didnt say that LGL decision should change or be affected from ZJK's results. He can win the world cup with 60 70 % of his peak performance. About the injuries issue, since LGL or the chinese national team press journalists havent made a clear and valid announcement, we just dont know what really happened, so please stop spreading rumors.

I am not saying that you personally did, but the last 1 year I am sick and tired of watching table tennis sites spreading absolute rubbish about TT players just to raise their visiting hits or make their site more commercial. Absolutely ridiculous

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by markog99
told you.thats the system in china.one cannot get too many titles.there is comunism in china,so everyone must be equal.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ttfrenzy

I am with stupid, thank you :)

If ZJK wins another title in 2014,2015,2016..... then I think you both are..... lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
wow, take it easy, going on troll mode or what?
Ian Marshall is a very respectable guy, so I hope you do some own reserch yourself before you start insulting more people.

I can not find proof that LGL denies the injury. Can you show me where LGL denies the injury without insulting anyone else?

LOL I am not insulting anyone. Lets get the record str8. LGL didnt say anything about an injury, he didnt even mentioned it (Personally i dont really care if ZJK is injured or not we will never know anyway) and 3-4 sites that broadcast about TT spread wrong information. That is what really bothers me.

I dont know ian marshall in person so I cant have an opinion about how respectable he is and frankly I dont even care. I ve done enough research about the ITTF the past 20 years, I did my homework dont get me wrong, no offense to anyone.

What I am saying is that a little bit validation about the info we spread across the internet would be good. Remember when every TT site claimed that Mizutani was protesting against boosters (it was proved as false rumor 3-4 months later)? It was ridiculous yet no one cared including the ITTF to make an announcement.

Peace

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by markog99
told you.thats the system in china.one cannot get too many titles.there is comunism in china,so everyone must be equal.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ttfrenzy

I am with stupid, thank you :)

If ZJK wins another title in 2014,2015,2016..... then I think you both are..... lol

Dude, you tell me to take it easy and then try to make me look silly? I dont even get the irony in your post. How exactly zjk's titles will affect my IQ? I just pointed out that the post of marko was a bit stupid. Chinese coaches care about the dominance of china in TT not about who makes the wins as long he is chinese. There isnt any "fair" situation were all national chinese members should earn same amount of titles, If that was the case WLQ ma lin and wang hao would have a grand slam also.