Using D05 for a week, it too fast and hard to control... how to use it ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
All of these threads are very hard to judge without video context.

D05 is a very advanced rubber and would be hard to control for a lot of people who don’t have the skill/experience to use it.

My advice to a player who DOES have the ability to use it would differ to my advice to a player who DOESN’T have the ability to use it.

But, and apologies if this sounds harsh, if you have to ask the question, you probably don’t have the necessary skill to use it to the best of its ability.
But he has bought the rubber now and Dignics is a premium rubber. So let's throw some of your insights so that he can master it 🙃

Reactions: rbtitco

NDH

says Spin to win!
But he has bought the rubber now and Dignics is a premium rubber. So let's throw some of your insights so that he can master it 🙃
The problem is, it could be like a learner driver who has just bought a Ferrari, and is asking for advice on how not to crash! 😅

All the advice is “hypothetical”, we have no idea how good he is, and the best answer might simply be to move away from D05.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
For me, my taste and my previous blades I tried, Viscaria ist not very fast but more "medium" or kind of a reference to start with. Personally I would not try a Dignics 05 with a slower blade than a "slow" 84 g Viscaria since it would mean casting pearls before swine. In my opinion Dignics 05 works well with blades that have a certain amount of power. Amongst the advanced blades I would say that Viscaria (84 g as a good reference) is kind of a slow and easy to play blade to start with. If it is too fast for oneself I would not really recommend to put a Dignics 05 on it.

Reactions: ben1229
says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
Saying that Viscaria is a slow blade is very strange. It is not the fastest, but those extremely fast blades like primorac carbon or szlc outer blades are played by almost nobody, especially not by pros.

In fact, most pro‘s play a Viscaria type or even a slower blade (all Innerforce blades…).
Having an amateur say that the fastest blade most pros play, is a slow blade, just makes me laugh

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
The "slow" referred to the relatively light weight of the blade. We all know that a Viscaria can be fast. And we all know, that a heavier Viscaria is faster than a light one. And sure we know that they are many more faster blades.

And depending of the weight of the blade, even an innerforce blade can be faster than a Viscaria. I own two Franziska Innerforce Layer ZLC blades with about 92 g and they are definitely faster than a 84 g Viscaria. And of course you can use a D05 with that.

Reactions: Migzkulit
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The problem is, it could be like a learner driver who has just bought a Ferrari, and is asking for advice on how not to crash! 😅

All the advice is “hypothetical”, we have no idea how good he is, and the best answer might simply be to move away from D05.
yeah, since i'm a beginner squared in the eyes of Ma Long
the beginner is probably a higher level than me, it took me a while to accept Viscaria and I still don't use it often enough.

Reactions: NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Even if I am not addressed, I think there is a difference between amateurs, i.e. non-professionals, and beginners. I would attribute the status of amateurs to players who are not professionals. And I believe that a Viscaria can also be played with a Dignics 05 from a certain point onwards as an amateur. I wouldn't recommend a Viscaria to a beginner, much less a Dignics 05. In Germany you can have more than 2.000 TTR and still being an amateur (non professional).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
I've always (or at least since its introduction...) that Dignics 05 was considered a safer and easier to use rubber than for instance T05?
I'm sure I've read threads and reviews praising its play out of position, its ease of use in the short game although a bit slower than previous generation of rubbers. This thread feels like an anomaly, but my memory may not serve me right! :)

NDH

says Spin to win!
I've always (or at least since its introduction...) that Dignics 05 was considered a safer and easier to use rubber than for instance T05?
I'm sure I've read threads and reviews praising its play out of position, its ease of use in the short game although a bit slower than previous generation of rubbers. This thread feels like an anomaly, but my memory may not serve me right! :)
It’s all relative though. And the ability of the person is question is more important than any analysis of the rubber here.

Let’s take a decent UK Local League attacker (I use this example as I can speak from first hand experience).

If they asked me what I thought between Tenergy 05 and Dignics 05 I’d be able to tell them that I thought D05 was a much safer option, similar top end speed with a lower throw angle and tons of deceptive spin (the same level of spin produced by both rubbers comes off the bat very differently).

T05 is so obviously spinny, that it’s easier to block because you can see that big arc coming your way.

D05 is deceptive, and comes through much flatter, so it doesn’t look like it’s as spinny as it is.

However, would I recommend either rubber to someone who might struggle with consistency, technique or control?

Absolutely not. It’s a complete waste of time if you don’t have the ability to back it up, and if anything, is more likely to have a negative effect on your TT progress than anything else.

Which is why it’s impossible to really advise the OP here without seeing how capable they are of using the rubber.

The 2 answers are:

Keep using it and see if you improve (ignore the whole “break in” thing, if you can’t use it now, you won’t be able to use it in 3 weeks time).

Or, swap it for a slower rubber, which is 99.9999% going to be the right answer I reckon 😊

NDH

says Spin to win!
The "slow" referred to the relatively light weight of the blade. We all know that a Viscaria can be fast. And we all know, that a heavier Viscaria is faster than a light one. And sure we know that they are many more faster blades.

And depending of the weight of the blade, even an innerforce blade can be faster than a Viscaria. I own two Franziska Innerforce Layer ZLC blades with about 92 g and they are definitely faster than a 84 g Viscaria. And of course you can use a D05 with that.
I think the issue here is that anyone who describes the Viscaria as “slow”, without providing a hell of a lot of context to that comment will come across as inexperienced.

There just isn’t any world where the Viscaria is slow.

Can it be slower than other blades? Of course.

Can the lighter versions be slower than others? Yep.

But the slowest Viscaria out there is still FAR too fast for any low, mid, and even some good level players.

That outer carbon layer really takes away the margin for error, and you need a good fast technique to make the outer carbon work.

I see so many half decent players make TONS of mistakes because they are using a fast outer carbon blade.

Sure, they might hit a few worldies every now and then, but they put way more long and uncontrolled shots out there, and they’d do better with a slower set up.

says 40+ age in the 40+ age
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
Jan 2024
Sure, they might hit a few worldies every now and then, but they put way more long and uncontrolled shots out there, and they’d do better with a slower set up.
This is the trap, isn't it. Back when I used a rubber I couldn't control, the few shots that landed right were soooooo rewarding... But I wasn't able to make simple pushes land the way I wanted them to, rendering 50% of the rallies useless before any chance of proper attack begins. So I got disappointed most of the time, but I held on to those 1-2 balls each game that looked and felt so f* brilliant, and kept telling myself I had to be able to hit more of those shots.

NDH

says Spin to win!
This is the trap, isn't it. Back when I used a rubber I couldn't control, the few shots that landed right were soooooo rewarding... But I wasn't able to make simple pushes land the way I wanted them to, rendering 50% of the rallies useless before any chance of proper attack begins. So I got disappointed most of the time, but I held on to those 1-2 balls each game that looked and felt so f* brilliant, and kept telling myself I had to be able to hit more of those shots.
Absolutely.

It's the same reason I take my Driver out on every single Par 4 or 5...... Holding on to the hope I hit an amazing 300+ yard drive down the middle of the fairway, when in reality, I'm more often than not looking in the trees 😂

NDH

says Spin to win!
Give it some time, Tenergy and Dignics takes up to a month to break in and play properly.

I have the same feeling with my Tenergy 05 and fx, I just know that after 3~4 weeks of hard training they will play good, soften up and feel easy to engage sponge, more controlable and easier to play.
I completely missed this gem of a comment.

Do you not find it odd that Pro's will change their *new* rubbers after 1 or 2 matches?

I think what you are finding is that after 3-4 weeks of hard training, the rubber might feel a little slower and less spinny, so it's possibly easier for you to play with?

But from a cost perspective, you might as well just get a slower rubber!

Reactions: ben1229 and longle
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I completely missed this gem of a comment.

Do you not find it odd that Pro's will change their *new* rubbers after 1 or 2 matches?

I think what you are finding is that after 3-4 weeks of hard training, the rubber might feel a little slower and less spinny, so it's possibly easier for you to play with?

But from a cost perspective, you might as well just get a slower rubber!
They're pros, the rubbers they use are a bit different than what we as general consumers get. Ask someone that's tried them. I think Tony tried either a blade or rubber from a pro.

Also pros change every week because the companies sponsor them and get everything for free. All rubbers break in, it's not that rubbers get slower and spinless, the initial hard tuning gets lost and they settle into something more stable. They don't lose any spin, they become softer and more stable.

Reactions: ben1229

NDH

says Spin to win!
They're pros, the rubbers they use are a bit different than what we as general consumers get. Ask someone that's tried them. I think Tony tried either a blade or rubber from a pro.

Also pros change every week because the companies sponsor them and get everything for free. All rubbers break in, it's not that rubbers get slower and spinless, the initial hard tuning gets lost and they settle into something more stable. They don't lose any spin, they become softer and more stable.
I don't believe the Pro's are using Butterfly rubbers that are much different to the commercial rubbers for sale.

Sure, they might have the pick of the rubbers (weight, where they were cut in the sheet etc), but until someone comes along with hard evidence to show otherwise, it's all just myth and hearsay.

I appreciate it might be different for DHS and other manufacturers.

But as for the rubber breaking in..... The only one I've noticed is Dignics 09C.

It went from feeling very hard initially, to just moderately hard after a while.

I've never really felt it significantly with Tenergy or Dignics 05. Certainly not enough to notice, and absolutely not enough to think that it could be more usable to someone who couldn't control it out of the box.