Search results

  1. Andy Fastow - former CFO of Enron

    First of all, your position what a good starting point for a nuanced conversation would be is fair. I don't know the context from which many people relate to Enron and usually, I insult people like this for fun. But maybe it was hearing him speak or his well selected cases and the challenges I...
  2. Tony has been banned and won't return

    But did he decide really to never comeback? Would someone who really wanted to never comeback post under a different alias and make arguments and pointed comments to the moderator who had an issue with? He is doing what all rational people do - using his leverage. I definitely used mine...
  3. Andy Fastow - former CFO of Enron

    I agree, and maybe I am too fact-finding focused to appreciate the damage he did to people's lives. The CFOs, directors and managers he spoke in front of didn't lynch him, and what he spoke about made a lot of us reflect on what it meant to hide behind following the rules when we put lipstick...
  4. Andy Fastow - former CFO of Enron

    Yes, all that was legal at the time. He did a lot of wrong things, very immoral things, I would argue fraudulent things, but most of them were very legal. And regardless, even if he did illegal things, my point is that very often, it takes a thief to catch a thief, immorality is not the first...
  5. Tony has been banned and won't return

    It's a de-escalation technique because public visibility makes performance to the audience just as if not more important than the actual topic being discussed, and as a moderator, you are not trying litigate an issue, you are balancing a ton of considerations that are harder to balance when...
  6. Tony has been banned and won't return

    Everyone, since T To answer a lot of this would require discussing at length the dynamics of moderation etc. While I will skip details for team reasons, I will address why I did what I did even when it was not explicitly written in the rules. In reality, what I decided was that most people...
  7. Tony has been banned and won't return

    Thanks for making my point.
  8. Tony has been banned and won't return

    Because the account is linked to Tony. I would usually ban it but I am leaving it to make the point.
  9. Tony has been banned and won't return

    Tony is free, he will be able to return in a few hours and then what he decides then is up to him. I am sure given this thread and his status there will be some consideration of how best to ask him to come back and what it will take. His price may be steep but if he has one and it can be met...
  10. Tony has been banned and won't return

    Again, thanks for making my point.
  11. Tony has been banned and won't return

    At the risk of calling out the obvious, thanks for making my point. It's not that I don't have a personal opinion, but in the absence of knowing what the opinion that ownership is safe enforcing, isn't it just best to encourage people to avoid such topics?
  12. Tony has been banned and won't return

    IT's very simple - if someone refuses to discuss with me in private and makes it clear that my authority is simply undeserving of respect, I ban them for a relatively short period. One day vs two days is about two things - one is that I am not entirely sure how the calendar works on the board...
  13. Tony has been banned and won't return

    You may find that there are still posts on that thread that discuss the impact of racism and issues on the players and fans. What I find dangerous is the line between talking about that and pontificating on the broader historical issues/politics of the region or talking about how China and...
  14. ITTF Mixed Team World Cup 2025, Chengdu, 11/30-12/7

    She could just have leapfrogged him though. Needless drama...
  15. Tony has been banned and won't return

    I will be honest, between not understanding how timezones work on the board and rules being updated and being a point of contention, I could and should have handled that differently, though there were mitigating considerations. But these are things I will reflect on later or maybe depending on...
  16. Tony has been banned and won't return

    1. I am not a saint. 2. I am trying to defend myself and explain my position. This will always seem like finding excuses. 3. With what I did, was there a risk of Tony not wanting to come back after being banned for 2 days? Sure there was. Was that my desire or intent? Definitely not...
  17. Tony has been banned and won't return

    The video was never "sent to me", it was at best posted on the forum. Since you have the video, you can post it. I will not take it down.
  18. Andy Fastow - former CFO of Enron

    MY position is not quite what you describe. It is possible that Andy is a psychopath but I don't think he is. I think (and I say this as a finance professional) he has identified something interesting about American business culture and lots of game strategy. Just about everything he did was...
  19. Tony has been banned and won't return

    Not at all, in fact, I made the request that we take the discussion private because we were arguing on the forum over a mistake I made in moderating a thread. I won't speak for Carl and how much time it took him to manage and handle Tony, but the *only* thing as a mod I ask people for is to...
  20. Tony has been banned and won't return

    You are right, I am actually a bit more cynical and have gone through this on various forums before, so I know what the endgame usually looks like. My intention was not to drive him away. And like I said, there are many reasonable solutions to this for people who are willing to discuss and...
Top