Search results

  1. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    You should come over to Dallas some time - the club I go to on Saturdays is in the heart of a Korean mall and I am sure there is Korean BBQ all round.
  2. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    The Ottawa Table Tennis club is putting out some great videos that are a bit long. But you can watch the first 10 minutes and see whether it can be worth your time or not. This one has a very valuable principle underlying it and I think it will help people who have not answered the main...
  3. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    He did what he felt comfortable doing and I suspect he didn't feel the need to test those since it wasn't the WTTC. But it was clear they both wanted to win really badly and I am not sure those things would have changed the result. Ma Long is defending zero WTTC points and Fan is defending...
  4. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    I played again yesterday night. Can't wait for the semester to end so I can pick up a saner academic schedule and then focus on family, work and TT. I played a guy who is around 2100 but has a really powerful and precise game. Such players usually make me look bad as I am often stuck...
  5. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    But he goes off balance in rallies and Fan is not missing. We all know that Ma Long rents space in Fan's head, the same way Wang Hao rented space in Ma's head. The issue was hardly technical in any case, the Olympics final clearly showed this as did the decision of the CNT not to send Ma Long...
  6. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Wang, yes, Fan fooled me too. Ma Long had better be ready if he beats Hugo.
  7. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Wang finally playing with more spin for consistency. He needs this variation to win this match. I suspect he hasn't practiced it enough to maintain it but this what he needs.
  8. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    I am doing the 45 degree.
  9. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    I think people are seeing the difference between when there are stakes and when there aren't.
  10. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Yeah, I had the advantage of watching it in person, so I remember it well. I am happy people are giving Truls credit, though his true test is Wang Chuqin.
  11. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    FZD won 4-0 in Houston. It is more important for Fan to peak in Durban - he has done his job. In fact, all the top CNT players have done their job. Only Ma Long has a match vs Hugo. I almost feel as if Wang Hao coaching Ma Long has given Ma Long an edge/fix to his backhand that he didn't...
  12. Tacky rubbers recommendations

    Golden Tango for sure.
  13. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Fan looks injured so I would bet on Wang. But otherwise, I always bet on Fan. He is just too consistent for most of his compatriots when he is on.
  14. Autograph session

    Thank you CTTA for preventing this from happening in Houston!
  15. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Yet Darko plays Ma Long way better than Hugo ever has and even Harimoto as well. I think you are misreading the dynamics of a particular matchup and using it to deprecate a player whose style you don't like. The issue is in the specifics on the matchup, even Darko's backhand vs topspin wasn't...
  16. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    It is just ther matchup. While Aruna won a game in Singapore in 2021 when they played last, you could see that since Aruna has no offense over the table, Hugo almost always knows he will get thr first opening in the short game. I honestly think Aruna was very satisfied with how far he got...
  17. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Darko can beat Hugo, that is a very different matchup that can flip depending on how fit Darko is. Darko has a very underrated forehand, it is a bit weird to hear that it hs supposedly bad. He is especially strong on the countertopspin and I think it is to put too much stock in one match or...
  18. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    1 and 2 get put in opposite halves of the draw as do 2 and 4 but 1 can be in the same half as 3 or 4 but who gets seeded in the same half as 1 can't be in the same half as 2. So 1 and 3 is possible (so that 2 and 4 are in the other half).
  19. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    To put it in perspective many people ehonused to be able to beat him can't get a game off hu I'm now.
  20. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    It's a great question. He was an unrated amateur in the 1800 range or so around 2013/2014. He started training and playing more seriously around 2015, got into tournaments soon after and was already pushing 2000‐2100 around 2017 in practice matches. By the time I first played him informally he...
Top