Search results

  1. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    I am fairly sure they played each other the last time they were in Singapore and Hugo won 3‐1. The main advantage Hugo has as you pointed out is the backhand, not just as a stroke but the variation it gives him on serve receive. Quadri becomes a bit predictable after a while as he doesnt...
  2. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    In my case, my backhand was technically better than my forehand when I was lower rated, I won much more points with backhand opening and backhand exchanges. I closed the gap a bit more, but my concern is more about what will happen with more passive play, because as you pointed out, things that...
  3. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Trained a little yesterday evening for the first time in about 10 days - too busy to get out as much but there should be a window this weekend. Did a lot of practice trying to spin the ball very slowly in fast rallies - the shot is probably useless but it is part of my range training. It isn't...
  4. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    FZD's destruction of LJH was pretty comprehensive. It was is if someone found some interesting data about ball placement vs LJH and FZD executed it perfectly.
  5. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Nah, just run down everything, you just have to be the Flash.
  6. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    The most annoying part for me is that you don't get to see the serve! And in a post-match interview, Truls said it was a serve his father likes a lot but he doesn't like so much. They didn't even replay it. Great job, WTT!
  7. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    School and work has made it hard to get out to play any TT - so I have been doing the next best thing and watching TT lol. I have been watching a lot of matches on this youtube channel in Canada. I don't understand how their ratings work but the matches are kinda fun - it seems this (I think...
  8. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    The guys I saw were trying to beat him like everyone else and he got to the finals, it is not his fault that WCQ got injured or that no one could beat him. - once those 4 got to the semifinals, the competition became largely useless as those four were going to the WTTC anyways. Those guys who...
  9. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    That's a fair assessment, let's see how the matches play out. He beat just about everyone on the CNT in the trials other than Ma Long. Ma Long needs the rating points here to keep his ranking more than anyone else, as he has a bunch going off in April (Olympic Games).
  10. Why does it seem like I play to the level of my opponent?

    Yeah, winning the first game by a wide margin is not a confirmation in any way that you are a better player at any level. In fact, the better player may need to collect information to play better and losing 11-1 is very often a part of that process.
  11. Why does it seem like I play to the level of my opponent?

    Sometimes, this is about the opponent more than you, sometimes they go from chop to no spin and the other player doesn't adjust or look closely enough to see what the opponent is doing. (but I speaking about myself here, you are likely different.)
  12. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Don't use matches without stakes to judge the true nature of a matchup. If FZD plays ML in this event in the final, FZD will win, though I suspect the real threat is LJK.
  13. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Usually, how a player does against Ishikawa is usually a good way to tell whether the player is solid or not. So when a younger Diaz played Ishikawa one time, I had a lower opinion of Diaz's game back then and I thought Kasumi would destroy her badly. But weirdly, the games were...
  14. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    Curious whether your thoughts are still the same after Hayata lost to a currently even less notable opponent.
  15. Anybody watching? WCQ vs Shin Yubing

    I am really looking forward to the Fan vs Lim match. Lim is a really special talent, I was really surprised he didn't play in Chengdu.
  16. Why does it seem like I play to the level of my opponent?

    Canadian ratings dont make sense, don't interpret them like US ratings.
  17. WTT Singapore Smash 2023

    They won't make the same mistakes they made with Tomokazu and even in developing Tomokazu, they are still learning. Thankfully Japan is deep enough at the ladies to challenge her. The thing about dominating the sport is that it comes with its own pressures and those pressures should not be...
  18. Technique advice for me

    It's incredibly hard to get better without the right training environment. I find that travelling to the right environment for a brief period like a camp if you can find one your wife will enjoy or she lets you go alone can be extremely beneficial for your game. As others have said, after you...
  19. Technique advice for me

    I think you are being a bit too kind to yourself. Part of the reason the hip rotation goes if that you aren't building up into it at a speed where it has to show up. How much pivot and cross and two step do you do at slower speeds or to cover smaller distances?
  20. Technique advice for me

    Thanks for this - my thoughts are that: 1. You need to hit with people more. Table tennis is as much a dance as it is a battle. 2. Your swinging hard in practice is not doing you favors because it is not letting you time the ball when it isn't in your sweet spot. It's not so much the...
Top