Blue Sponge or Orange Sponge

I have been looking at different DHS NEO hurricane 3 Rubbers (I especially like the national version) and for a few of them there is an option of Blue sponge and Orange sponge, i think that the blue is better as it is more expensive, what exactly is the difference and which one would you recommend?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
I like my Airocs which got a blue spoonge, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with the color of course. You can always try both rubbers to see for yourself but I don't think the color has something to do with how the rubbers perform. How much is the difference in price? Remember that it's often not the price that determines if the rubber is good or not. :)

I like my Airocs which got a blue spoonge, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with the color of course. You can always try both rubbers to see for yourself but I don't think the color has something to do with how the rubbers perform. How much is the difference in price? Remember that it's often not the price that determines if the rubber is good or not. :)
at one place its about £5 but out of stock the other one is about £25 (The difference that it)

I have made the mistake of believing the hype and tried both. Don't waster your money. Just get DHS H3 Neo commercial, add one layer of falco, and enjoy. There is no discernible difference between the result and DHS H3 Neo National unless you believe that blue-coloured sponge has magic properties.
Really, but the national version is said to be a lot quicker etc.? how well does falco work? isnt it meant to be banned now anyway

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Really, but the national version is said to be a lot quicker etc.? how well does falco work? isnt it meant to be banned now anyway

It is not "a lot quicker". Regular DHS Neo H3 commercial is perfectly playable on a 5ply allround blade like OSP Expert. One just needs not to be afraid to actually hit the ball. Some people claim that one rubber is faster/spinnier than another by 3-5%. It always makes me wonder how they measure that without investing into an expensive high-speed camera like the one used in PathfinderPro's videos on YT. Falco works quite well on many rubber sponges, not just DHS, - the chemical reaction it induces expands the sponge making it springier and a bit faster, if you feel you need the speed.

It is not "a lot quicker". Regular DHS Neo H3 commercial is perfectly playable on a 5ply allround blade like OSP Expert. One just needs not to be afraid to actually hit the ball. Some people claim that one rubber is faster/spinnier than another by 3-5%. It always makes me wonder how they measure that without investing into an expensive high-speed camera like the one used in PathfinderPro's videos on YT. Falco works quite well on many rubber sponges, not just DHS, - the chemical reaction it induces expands the sponge making it springier and a bit faster, if you feel you need the speed.
Yh I know what you mean, if i do try the chinese rubbers i will definately just use the commercial as the national version is 6 times more expensive and only a small percentage better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Listen

I have been looking at different DHS NEO hurricane 3 Rubbers (I especially like the national version) and for a few of them there is an option of Blue sponge and Orange sponge, i think that the blue is better as it is more expensive, what exactly is the difference and which one would you recommend?

I use the NEO commercial version. While playing against other club members who have Tenergy's and national version of Hurricane, and also boosted versions, I beat them all(Most of the time). It is not about the rubber it is about you, and your technique. They are all very good or decent players. If anything I think having those rubbers hurts them. They use it as a crutch and think that there rubber is going to win points for them and they don't play to the best of their ability with every swing, every point. Needless to say my Hurricane is also a year old, and it still works fine and I play with it every week regularly(2-4 club day). Still holds alot of spin and control even with a major loss of the tacky topsheet.

TLDR; It's about your technique, doesn't matter what rubbers you have. Learn to play before worrying about rubbers and equipment.

Reactions: vvk1
This user has no status.
Yh I know what you mean, if i do try the chinese rubbers i will definately just use the commercial as the national version is 6 times more expensive and only a small percentage better

Have you tried the domestic versions? Do you (or anybody else) no the difference between the domestic versions and the commercial ones? (I know that the domestic versions come in different sponge hardness, I don't think this is the case for the commercial ones?)

Have you tried the domestic versions? Do you (or anybody else) no the difference between the domestic versions and the commercial ones? (I know that the domestic versions come in different sponge hardness, I don't think this is the case for the commercial ones?)
I havnt personally tried the domestic versions but it says on the TTNPP website "Domestic Version of Neo rubbers (originally for sell within China region only) provide a more detail labeling about the hardness of the rubber sponge than the oversea versions.available in 39 and 40 degree now.
The only difference with the oversea version is labeling, quality of rubber are the same."
So yh i hope this helped.

Reactions: fais
How good is the DHS Skyline TG3 Neo? how does it compare to the TG2 neo and the Hurricane 3 Neo?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
How good is the DHS Skyline TG3 Neo? how does it compare to the TG2 neo and the Hurricane 3 Neo?
Well the thorw angle is slightly different.i found ut easier to counterloop near the table with skLine but hurr has more spin...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
The difference between Blue sponges and Orange sponges is that the blue sponge requires more power to hit "through" the rubber. It's also more elastic than the orange sponges. If you're able to hit through the sponge, the quality of the ball from the blue sponge will be higher than that from the orange sponge. But we're talking about world-class playing here, or nearly world-class playing. Most of the time, neo provincial hurricane is good enough. Neo Hurricanes are meant to be boosted (not trying to start any argument of whether it's legal/illegal to do so lol), so my recommendation would be a neo provincial hurricane that costs about $30? (about 180-200 RMB) and a good booster like Falco Long tempo, Seamoon, or Dianchi. As for the hardness, 39 degrees should be hard enough. Provincial male team players mostly play with 38-39 degree rubbers, while the girls play with 37-38 degrees usually. 40 is ridiculous for non pros

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
You cannot really say 'the blue sponge requires more power to hit "through" the rubber', and the immediately follow it with "it's also more elastic than the orange sponge". These statements are contradictory.

oh sorry i meant more...springy? I'm not sure what the word is, but at low power, the orange sponge will feel more "dead" than the blue sponge

This user has no status.

I've only played with the H3 neo and the TG3 neo (both 39 degree). My bat is the CPEN YEO7P (offensive+) so my impression may not be entirely applicable. I find both rubbers to be excellent, with the H3 neo more forgiving towards punch-type shots and the TG3 more forgiving towards loop-type shots, if that makes sense.
degree TG3 neo pretty soon.

I haven't hit enough with the TG2 to draw an impression. I feel the TG3N to be better suited for penhold (due to my wrist mechanics, and I've been told I'm more of a spinner than power hitter) and H3N better suited for shakehand . I've been wanting to make a shakehand bat for myself as well, at which point i would choose H3N over the TG3N.

I have noticed however that the 39 degrees rubbers require more effort and better timing further away from the table, (even on an offensive+ bat), and the effects doesn't feel quite as linear (less linear with the xuxoafa seemless poly ball). This more than likely may be due to my bat to be honest. I'm thinking about getting the 40 degree TG3N pretty soon. I fear however, that with the switch to poly balls, both the TG3N and H3N will still great, may lack just a few of the gears (but the gears are def there when playing with the celluloid balls!).