Elmers Rubber Cement for Glue?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Hi Everyone,
Recently i bought a brand new batch of rubbers called the Tibhar Evolution MX-P, but my glue that i usually use dried up due to the hot weather here in the U.S. I plan on using the elmers rubber cement glue and was wondering if this would work well? I read online somewhere saying that elmers rubber cement damages tensors so i was not sure if i should buy new water based glue, or use elmers cement glue.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, here is the deal. MX-P is factory boosted. Elmer's Rubber Cement has VOCs in it. Elmer's will expand your MX-P. If you used Elmer's, you would have two options: both of them are bad:

1) You could use Elmer's and understand in a few days, your rubber will be several mm too small for your blade because it will shrink when the VOCs wear off.

2) you can put glue on the rubber and wait 3-4 days for the rubber to shrink from the VOCs evaporating which will, unfortunately also cause the legal factory tuning that MX-P comes with to wear off.

Or if you want the intelligent solution, then get new Water Based Glue that you like.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Lucas Nascimento
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
MX-P sponge is OK enough for elmers, but T05 glued with Elmers first time will be a disaster after 3 days. First water glue then next time with elmers a month later is ok.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I do. I usually reglue with cement after boosting. The only thing is that the cement inflates the rubber a little bit and then it shrinks after the next days, so it is better to wait before cutting it.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Most of the time, when I glue, it is an immediate need. I rarely boost my rubbers, it just takes too much time for the rubbers to sit around. My wife would evict me and my rubbers before half the time elapsed. Der_Echte is not the badd-ass mofo in every matter.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
yes rubber shrinks a bit with cement.
but it also shrinks with water based glue.
I have a couple tenergies that I used only water based and they are smaller than in the beginning.
I also had tenergies which I used only with rubber cement and they shrinked, probably around the same amount.
that myth that if you glue first time with cement it'll destroy your rubber is nonsense.

anyway elmers is old stuff, and you can't get it in many places, only in UK and US.
if you want to find out the new alternative -> http://pingpongclassics.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Back in the speed glue days, I would use tire repair glue. Fastest speed glue there was, and you could buy it at any autoparts store.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I recently glued a new sheet of tenergy 05 using elmers after being frustrated with how hard it was to remove water based glue from the rubber after removing it. At first it was the fastest and spinniest rubber Ive experienced ( i thought this was because I upgraded from an all wood blade to a viscaria ) but the effect has since died down. I can't really tell if it's performing worse now than if I had used water based glue.

Is there anything I can do now to improve performance? By the way the rubber hasn't shrunk at all ( one layer of elmers on both the rubber and blade)

thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
I recently glued a new sheet of tenergy 05 using elmers after being frustrated with how hard it was to remove water based glue from the rubber after removing it. At first it was the fastest and spinniest rubber Ive experienced ( i thought this was because I upgraded from an all wood blade to a viscaria ) but the effect has since died down. I can't really tell if it's performing worse now than if I had used water based glue.

Is there anything I can do now to improve performance? By the way the rubber hasn't shrunk at all ( one layer of elmers on both the rubber and blade)

thanks

I've used elmer's, tyre repair glue, water based glue, and they are all the same.
none of them affects the rubber.