Advice for a Backhand Rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
TTD Members,

I am a 1900 level players in the United States and am looking for a good backhand rubber recommendation. My current blade set-up is Adidas Avenger Carbon, FH Adidas P7 (Max), and BH Adidas P7 (Max). I am a penholder and utilize RPB style. I have had a wide array of backhand rubbers including Adidas P7, Stiga Airoc S, Stiga Calibra Tour S, Stiga Calibra LT Sound, Butterfly Sriver G3, Joola Mambo H, etc.

I will be going to the Tibhar MX-P on the my forehand in the next few months (given Adidas departing the table tennis market), and am looking for any recommendation outside of the Butterfly Tenergy series (I refuse to pay $75/sheet of rubber when the impact to my game would not be greater than a $40/sheet of rubber). I primarily use my backhand for blocks, some flicks on serve return, and a limited amount of loops. I've even thought of going to short or long pips, but need something that is a great and safe rubber for my needs.

Please give me some advice and thank you in advance for your help. I've enjoyed this forum for the past 3 years and this is my first post.

AKB

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nexy Karis M is right up your alley for a safe rubber with control. PP Holic likes the less expensive Nexy Elpis.

Every company makes one or more rubbers of this class.

PPHolic ic NYC based 1900s rated RPB Penholder, but plays higher level. Shoot him a pm or invite him to comment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about the Tibhar Evolution Series, the Stiga Mantra series, Yasaka Razka, any thoughts there TTD members?

Nexy Karis M is right up your alley for a safe rubber with control. PP Holic likes the less expensive Nexy Elpis.

Every company makes one or more rubbers of this class.

PPHolic ic NYC based 1900s rated RPB Penholder, but plays higher level. Shoot him a pm or invite him to comment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Like Der_Echte said there are multiple options that come in that range , it really depends on what kind of feeling you like ... some prefer a harder sponge , some prefer a softer sponge ... if you indicate your preference , I think it will be helpful for people to recommend .. Xiom Omega Pro IV is also a good choice , Rakza has multiple options , 7 , X etc ... not sure about Stiga Mantra ... I am playing with Karis M after switching from MX-P recently, I found it more comfortable in terms of predictability , blocks and placement was effortless , did not lose any noticeable spin on the flick , the good thing I found is that it rewards good shots and also punishes bad ones a little more than catapult rubbers. right now I prefer it over MX-P simply because of the predictability , control and the fact that it should help me improve my BH Technique the same way the Hurricane helped improve some facets of my forehand ...

if you are looking for a replacement for Tenergy 05 , MX-P is the closest in the market right now , followed by other pretenders ( again every company has one )
\

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I am a penholder here. I play a similar style except I loop with my BH often.

If your RPB is mainly for blocking, service return and flicks, you don't need tacky rubber such as Rising dragon. Tacky rubber on BH is for BH power looper style such as Ma Long.

There are numerous options out there.

I have played T80, T05 FX, Andro beat, Gewo Thunderball 2, Nittaku fastarc G1, 729 snipe III and Xiom Vega europe.

The best for my RPB is Gewo thunderball 2. It's a very very underrated rubber. Nobody knows about it.
**The topsheet is very thin. It means you can engage the sponge with little effort.
**The grip is AMAZING comparable to tenergy series.
**It's very lightweight. It makes flicking a lot easier.
**The sponge is very soft yet powerful. I use sponge 1.5mm which is powerful enough up to mid distance looping.

Thunderball 2 is made in Germany. A quality rubber for an affordable price ~$20.

My second fav BH rubber would be Xiom Vega Europe.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about the Tibhar Evolution Series, the Stiga Mantra series, Yasaka Razka, any thoughts there TTD members?

If you like the Evolution series, MX-S has worked for me on the backhand, it gave me confidence on my banana flicks and loops. EL-S was not very different from MX-S just bouncier and faster and may be higher arc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Thank you all for your advice! I will keep some of these in mind.

I also liked P7. My current favorite backhand rubbers with a good mix of high spin and controlled speed:

1. Nittaku Fastarc G-1
2. Yasaka Razka 7
3. Andro Rasant Grip
4. Xiom Vega Pro
5. Tibhar Evolution MX-S

Reactions: yoass
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I also liked P7. My current favorite backhand rubbers with a good mix of high spin and controlled speed:

1. Nittaku Fastarc G-1
2. Yasaka Razka 7
3. Andro Rasant Grip
4. Xiom Vega Pro
5. Tibhar Evolution MX-S

Excellent list. The only one I haven't ever encountered is the #1 on it, which tickles my curiosity.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I am a penholder here. I play a similar style except I loop with my BH often.

If your RPB is mainly for blocking, service return and flicks, you don't need tacky rubber such as Rising dragon. Tacky rubber on BH is for BH power looper style such as Ma Long.

There are numerous options out there.

I have played T80, T05 FX, Andro beat, Gewo Thunderball 2, Nittaku fastarc G1, 729 snipe III and Xiom Vega europe.

The best for my RPB is Gewo thunderball 2. It's a very very underrated rubber. Nobody knows about it.
**The topsheet is very thin. It means you can engage the sponge with little effort.
**The grip is AMAZING comparable to tenergy series.
**It's very lightweight. It makes flicking a lot easier.
**The sponge is very soft yet powerful. I use sponge 1.5mm which is powerful enough up to mid distance looping.

Thunderball 2 is made in Germany. A quality rubber for an affordable price ~$20.

My second fav BH rubber would be Xiom Vega Europe.

thunderball 2 is not a tacky rubber ?
im using focus snipe III for my RPB. i like it for the grip and able for me to do quick flip but seem not fast and power enough.

What's the main different between those 2 and T05FX for RPB??

Using YEO blade and H3 as FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
thunderball 2 is not a tacky rubber ?
im using focus snipe III for my RPB. i like it for the grip and able for me to do quick flip but seem not fast and power enough.

What's the main different between those 2 and T05FX for RPB??

Using YEO blade and H3 as FH.
Thunderball 2 is semi tacky. It works very well in lifting back spin.

Not many German BH rubbers are semi tacky. Only Thunderball