Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

• Kenta Matsudaira

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
....He doesnt look like a player to be 1 in ranking . Not Logical...
:p

Not sure if looks should decide who is No. 1.
I mean ZJK looks and behaves like a superstar but his results and recent performances rather looks like something else...
[Emoji12]

Last edited:
BTW, was Fang Bo using the Viscaria?And FZD the Stiga Carbonado?So Chinese players again switched blades..
It seems wierd to me, I mean, how fast can you adapt to a blade?

FZD is back to using his Viscaria with the Stiga Infinity handle. As for Fang Bo yeah he's using Viscaria too

Reactions: brodolio
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW, was Fang Bo using the Viscaria?And FZD the Stiga Carbonado?So Chinese players again switched blades..
It seems wierd to me, I mean, how fast can you adapt to a blade?

Guys at that level really can adapt to new equipment relatively fast even if they decide they don't like the new equipment and wind up switching back like FZD.

If you trained 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, one week of training = 36 hours of time getting used to the new equipment. For me, 10-12 hours of playing with something new is often enough for me to play comfortably with something totally new even if the switch is a big one.

For FZD at least, he is really just going back to his old setup and getting used to his original Viscaria with Infinity handle.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Right, no matter who really the best player is, it is a great achievement for Dima!
How long Xu Xin was the number 1 in the world?
And when anyone really thought he is the best player?
I never ever considered Xu Xin as best player, yet he was world number one for some time.
So this is nothing new, that the best player in the world is not ranked 1.
So lets not take it from him, respect to Ovtcharov!

I love this post. It is important to keep this perspective.

When Ma Long was #1 before 2012, many Chinese legends felt so what, he wasn't the best player and that Wang Hao was better because he had no majors. Dima has won one of 2 majors played this year, most of the top tournaments and still gets no respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michal_Z and Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes dima really doesnt play like number 1 , He doesnt look like a player to be 1 in ranking . Not logical .
At least in europeans timo give the feeling of number 1 but dima is about 4 or 5 to be honest :p

Not sure if looks should decide who is No. 1.
I mean ZJK looks and behaves like a superstar but his results and recent performances rather looks like something else...
[Emoji12]

Haha . Nice . I meant his game not his face but i didnt write completely .. not your fault ;)

Come on. ZJK is much prettier than Dima. Especially when modeling. Of course he should be number 1.

Just listen to what Muhammad Ali has to say at 1:43:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyhqZNcF9pM&t=60s

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
When Ma Long was WR #1 before 2012, he had beaten all previous #1 including Wang Hao, Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, Timo Boll (Ma Long first beat Timo Boll in 2005) multiple times and led in most h2h. Do you know that the current #1 Ma Long and the new #1 Dimitrij Ovtcharov have played 14 times and the h2h is 14-0?
I am not saying Dima does not deserve the new #1. But under the old ranking system, even he beat Fan Zhendong again and won Grand Finals, he would not be ranked #1.

I love this post. It is important to keep this perspective.

When Ma Long was #1 before 2012, many Chinese legends felt so what, he wasn't the best player and that Wang Hao was better because he had no majors. Dima has won one of 2 majors played this year, most of the top tournaments and still gets no respect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
When Ma Long was WR #1 before 2012, he had beaten all previous #1 including Wang Hao, Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, Timo Boll (Ma Long first beat Timo Boll in 2005) multiple times and led in most h2h. Do you know that the current #1 Ma Long and the new #1 Dimitrij Ovtcharov have played 14 times and the h2h is 14-0?
I am not saying Dima does not deserve the new #1. But under the old ranking system, even he beat Fan Zhendong again and won Grand Finals, he would not be ranked #1.
Since you are a Ma Long friends and family member I am sure this post is your obligation.

Dima has beaten every player he has played this year. He cannot apologize for not beating players who are injured or not playing or who are protesting or players who are not playing the events he is playing in.

Wang Tao and Liu Guoliang were two of the players who pointed out amongst many that until Ma Long had won a major he hadn't done anything. Beating past #1s is cool, but Ma Long was a choker and was just a tournament performer. He would continue to choke vs Wang Hao on big occasions for a few more years. Who knows, if Wang Hao was still playing today, Ma Long may have no titles. After this was pointed out Ma Long still went on to lose to Wang Hao. For some reason Zhang Jike didn't have this problem. And he was wasn't beating everyone so it says something.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
As you said, if Dima did not play ML in a tournament and win the champion, his achievement should not be taken away. Following your logic, why you think ML's titles should be affected whether WH was retired or not? ML had beaten WH in Grand Finals, Asian Games, China National Games, many ITTF tours and so on. They never played at the same time in Olympic Games and World Cup. And at WTTC, ML lost three times to WH in SF, you can call him a choker but apparently ML did not have an overwhelming advantage over WH as he had to Dima and I don't see why people should expect him to beat WH every time. Also ML and WH were drawn into the same half of WTTC every time since 2007 while WH and ZJK were drawn into the opposite half of WTTC every time. Something magic. And if you take LGL's words so seriously, he said WH was technically better than ZJK and ML is more talented than WH and ZJK. Then WH shall be a bigger choker than ML as he lost to ZJK in 4 majors.

Back to my points, if Dima had beaten ML before, there will be fewer arguments about his new #1. Just like if FZD gets the new #1, people will not be surprised because he has beaten all top players.

Edit: My bad, WH and ML were in the same World Cup once in 2008 but in opposite half and Timo Boll beat ML in SF and lost to WH in F.

Since you are a Ma Long friends and family member I am sure this post is your obligation.

Dima has beaten every player he has played this year. He cannot apologize for not beating players who are injured or not playing or who are protesting or players who are not playing the events he is playing in.

Wang Tao and Liu Guoliang were two of the players who pointed out amongst many that until Ma Long had won a major he hadn't done anything. Beating past #1s is cool, but Ma Long was a choker and was just a tournament performer. He would continue to choke vs Wang Tao on big occasions for a few more years. Who knows, if Wang Hao was still playing today, Ma Long may have no titles. After this was pointed out Ma Long still went on to lose to Wang Hao. For some reason Zhang Jike didn't have this problem. And he was wasn't beating everyone so it says something.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
My bad, WH and ML were in the same World Cup once in 2008 but in opposite half and Timo Boll beat ML in SF and lost to WH in F.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
As you said, if Dima did not play ML in a tournament and win the champion, his achievement should not be taken away. Following your logic, why you think ML's titles should be affected whether WH was retired or not? ML had beaten WH in Grand Finals, Asian Games, China National Games, many ITTF tours and so on. They never played at the same time in Olympic Games and World Cup. And at WTTC, ML lost three times to WH in SF, you can call him a choker but apparently ML did not have an overwhelming advantage over WH as he had to Dima and I don't see why people should expect him to beat WH every time. Also ML and WH were drawn into the same half of WTTC every time since 2007 while WH and ZJK were drawn into the opposite half of WTTC every time. Something magic. And if you take LGL's words so seriously, he said WH was technically better than ZJK and ML is more talented than WH and ZJK. Then WH shall be a bigger choker than ML as he lost to ZJK in 4 majors.

Back to my points, if Dima had beaten ML before, there will be fewer arguments about his new #1. Just like if FZD gets the new #1, people will not be surprised because he has beaten all top players.

My arguments are not serious arguments, my arguments are because you are acting like anyone saying something about Ma Long is the devil. Take a chill pill.

Dima hadn't beating Fan Zhendong before they played last month, so whose fault is it that Dima hasn't played Ma Long this year? Before Ma Long lost to Timo Boll this year, Timo Boll had not beaten Ma Long in 7 years. So what is to say that Dima can't beat Ma Long today? Or would not have beaten him if they had played in World Cup?

Reactions: Michal_Z and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
BTW, I think Dima had a great year in 2017 but he did not beat every player he faced this year. Like Koki Niwa in WTTC. Not to mention many others.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
And my point is also clear, Dima's #1 is only under new ranking system not under the old one. Under the old ranking system, Dima will be ranked #2 or #3 for a while and that's a very good indication of his level of recent performance, with fewer doubts or arguments.

My arguments are not serious arguments, my arguments are because you are acting like anyone saying something about Ma Long is the devil. Take a chill pill.

Dima hadn't beating Fan Zhendong before they played last month, so whose fault is it that Dima hasn't played Ma Long this year? Before Ma Long lost to Timo Boll this year, Timo Boll had not beaten Ma Long in 7 years. So what is to say that Dima can't beat Ma Long today? Or would not have beaten him if they had played in World Cup?

Reactions: matzreenzi