DHS Hurricane 3 neo lack speed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I started with H3 Neo on FH, and continued learning with it. When I tried to switch to non-tacky and tensor, for a change, it was quite difficult to adapt and I had to go for harder sponge e.g. MX-S and Omega V Asia. But the feel of the H3 was still missing. I am now back with H3 Neo on FH, unboosted. I would say that it is adequately fast for intermediate-advanced level.

At beginner level, and as suggested above and as seen from video, I'd take any rubber that is not fast at all, non tensor eg Mark V, Sriver, or all-round tensor.. and I would say H3 Neo on the FH side respects this. For the blade, and personally, I have only tried the Allplay in all wood, and it is way enough for beginner and intermediate. In Yasaka, I can also see the Sweden Classic. There's quite some possiblities in EJing.

There should be no fear, no shame of getting a slow setup at beginning level. Do not hesitate to get a control setup, and force yourself to learn proper technique to correctly direct the power, focusing on spin and placement to win the points instead of speed, and constantly assessing the quality of your shots and progressing. I can assure that the speed and more power will come soon enough! And all the best in your TT journey!
In fact I bought a chinese rubber, a lkt rapid soft 2.0 and a victas limber, both very controllable, incredible but it is a lot. I've used in a Russian defensive blade.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
ejing is fine if you have money and a decent playing level which allows you to evaluate the rubber or blade in a more useful manner. but with forums around it can be really hard as a beginner to know what you want and what you need.
So you end up switching betweend hard rubbers, soft ones, tacky, not tacky, fast and slow.
if you can stick to the setup for a while now its fine.

by the way i think that vega Intro is a really good beginner rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm thinking about Vega intro, but should I choose max to FH and BH? Or 2.0mm?

Does not make much of a difference. I’d pick 2.0

But why 2.0 and not max?

I actually think this exchange encapsulates some of the real problem.

As this thread developed and started as a simple idea, yet 4 pages into it, the thread is still going on. dominus's coach said not to get H3 and here dominus is with H3.

I got dominus to post video because a lot of people were giving recommendations based on the idea of someone who was a decent level. But I knew that in the last few months, since the last time dominus had one of these mammoth threads about something so simple, his level probably had not changed too drastically.

And in the last thread, by the time the thread was this far into it, everyone was saying he should get a rubber like Mark V and a blade like an Allround Classic or a Appelgren Allplay and he went and got a Korbel with MXP, (or something like that), it became clear to me that something was going wrong in translation.

In fact, in one of those threads, that ultimately went for 9 pages, at one point he said he was listening to everyone's advice, and then he posted the photo of the Korbel he got. Funny. :)

But what I am realizing here is a couple of things:

1) The Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba ply construction of the Appelgren Allplay is actually what dominus needs. That is the blade he should get. Appelgren Allplay: End of story.

2) Rubbers: Mark V or Vega Intro. One of those two. Let dominus choose the thickness himself because if someone says "get 2.0" he will get Max. So, just let him choose. :) It won't matter too much either way. And either rubber would be fine. :)

3) dominus should do a lot of exercises like the ones in this video:

Also, sorry, but, I feel like the coaching dominus is getting may be good, but it may not be right for what dominus needs.

I know this coach named Matthew Khan. He is from Guyana. He coaches here in NYC. He is actually great, nothing short of amazing with adult learners who are having some sticking points on learning technique. He does not use the standard approach. He is creative in figuring out what will help the specific person he is working with.

I know a guy he taught who is in his mid 60s and more stubborn than you could imagine. And Matthew Khan got him from very low level (probably 400 USATT; It is hard to be that bad) to maybe 1500 which is a real accomplishment for a guy at his age. I know a woman in a similar age range whose eye hand coordination was as bad as I have seen, and he got her to be pretty darn good as well. Perhaps she was a bigger accomplishment because the guy was athletic even if he started off being terrible. The woman was not athletic and she had trouble just getting the racket to come in contact with the ball. And she is probably about 1400 level now.

He was not doing the kinds of drills dominus's coach is doing with him. He was having them do game simulation stuff. Multiball, in out drills. Things where they had to move to every single ball and adjust to every single ball and make the right shot. He just slowed the drills down so that the drills were a pace they could handle and slowly sped the drills up as the player progressed. He also did a decent amount of explaining game play strategy to get them to just keep the ball in play and put one more shot on the table than the opponent. At that level it is hard to understand to use 60% effort and be ready for the next shot rather than using 150% effort and if the ball comes back the player is in trouble.

I feel, the footage dominus has showed of him working with his coach, the drills are drills he could do on his own with a robot. I also feel like, when his coach gives feedback and makes a correction, the feedback is good. But if you look at the coaches demonstration, and then see how dominus applies it, or interprets it, often, the coach may as well have not given the feedback. This isn't anyone's fault. The information is good. dominus may just not be ready for it.

dominus may be better off practicing those kinds of drills on a robot to get more repetitions. And to practice shadow strokes in front of a mirror so he can see his mistakes as he makes them. Because, I think he would see them if he was looking in a mirror.

Also, the first exercise in this Marcos Freitas video, the one that gets called "Warm-Up":

dominus should practice that against a wall until he is really good at it.

The more I think about it, I think those things would really help dominus. And more discussion like what is going on here, will only confuse him. :)

Good luck dominus.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Watched the vid. This whole discussion about equipment is beside the point. Keep your setup and learn to move your feet. If your shoes were glued to the floor and you recorded these drills again, the video would look exactly the same as what you posted.

You can't reach out for fhs or chicken wing for backhands and ever become a good player. You could be using God's own paddle and you still can't play table tennis like that. Forget about equipment and think about moving your feet.

And I would think twice before getting a robot if I were you. If you hit enough balls doing it this way it will be ten times as hard to change later.

Reactions: dominus7
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
1) The part of the equipment information that is important is that the setup he is using is too fast for him.

2) If he does shadow stroke and footwork drills with a mirror to correct form, a robot could be helpful for him actually contacting the ball and getting the reps. But, not if he keeps the form he is using in the coaching videos. And for sure, moving the feet is important. So the robot probation isn’t where he would learn that. But it is why I talked about Matthew Khan’s approach with certain players.

dominus, can you post video of you playing games and matches. I think these guys would benefit from that more than the footage with the coach.

From the footage I have seen, the match play footage shows a lot more of what you do actually do well. Even though it is clear to see how the racket is too fast for you. But the match footage gives a better picture of what you do well and what you actually need to work on.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
1) The part of the equipment information that is important is that the setup he is using is too fast for him.

2) If he does shadow stroke and footwork drills with a mirror to correct form, a robot could be helpful for him actually contacting the ball and getting the reps. But, not if he keeps the form he is using in the coaching videos. And for sure, moving the feet is important. So the robot probation isn’t where he would learn that. But it is why I talked about Matthew Khan’s approach with certain players.

dominus, can you post video of you playing games and matches. I think these guys would benefit from that more than the footage with the coach.

From the footage I have seen, the match play footage shows a lot more of what you do actually do well. Even though it is clear to see how the racket is too fast for you. But the match footage gives a better picture of what you do well and what you actually need to work on.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
At training the blade is good, FH and BH side, but in a rally I've felt that the h3neo was slower than mx-p specially when I want to hit a winner shot (a FH loop) I've felt better with mx-p but I've realized too that I wasn't doing much effort, then I came back to h3n, I've realized too the tackiness get slow the first 15 mins of constant playing after that it gets faster. By the way I will record some video and upload it.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
At training the blade is good, FH and BH side, but in a rally I've felt that the h3neo was slower than mx-p specially when I want to hit a winner shot (a FH loop) I've felt better with mx-p but I've realized too that I wasn't doing much effort, then I came back to h3n, I've realized too the tackiness get slow the first 15 mins of constant playing after that it gets faster. By the way I will record some video and upload it.

Please tell us that you've ordered the Appelgren Allplay with Vega Intro rubbers on both sides... so that you can focus on your progress and training instead of your equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Please tell us that you've ordered the Appelgren Allplay with Vega Intro rubbers on both sides... so that you can focus on your progress and training instead of your equipment.
I've not ordered anything yet, a coach gifted a yasaka Sweden extra and a victas limber and a lkt rapid soft, a setup very slow but much more controllable and almost not tacky.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I've not ordered anything yet, a coach gifted a yasaka Sweden extra and a victas limber and a lkt rapid soft, a setup very slow but much more controllable and almost not tacky.

That's a good start, especially the blade. Stick to it, practice and have fun!

Reactions: dominus7
This user has no status.
So I have glued and used my first ever H3 Neo. First impressions and doubts:

It is indeed a bit slower then the EL-S I was using. You really have to try to brush the ball in every stroke.
I really liked the control for service and receive and also the absence of catapult effect.

However, I have a question: the one I got is not tacky at all... Is it normal? Does it take a while to get tacky?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
So I have glued and used my first ever H3 Neo. First impressions and doubts:

It is indeed a bit slower then the EL-S I was using. You really have to try to brush the ball in every stroke.
I really liked the control for service and receive and also the absence of catapult effect.

However, I have a question: the one I got is not tacky at all... Is it normal? Does it take a while to get tacky?

Thanks!

The rubber it's very tacky, you can stick the ball on the surface of the rubber and the ball stays there, yeah, no much catapult, and you need to brush always, I think you'll miss the tensor effect at first time, but after you'll get a shorter and spinny services.

This user has no status.
The rubber it's very tacky, you can stick the ball on the surface of the rubber and the ball stays there, yeah, no much catapult, and you need to brush always, I think you'll miss the tensor effect at first time, but after you'll get a shorter and spinny services.

Well, the ball was never stuck to the rubber... Maybe I got a fake one... :/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
It's not ridiculously tacky. The vid where Wang Liqin holds the ball on his racket upside down is misleading. When you first use the rubber it will be similarly tacky but not because of the rubber characteristics, it's because of the adhesive they use when they wrap the rubber in plastic. Think of it as a piece of duct tape, which when you unstick it leaves some of the glue on the surface. Still, if you press the ball into H3N fairly hard it should stick a little bit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Does humid weather reduce tackiness? Yesterday was crazy humid

It reduces but no much, I mean if you wash the rubber of course will lose temporarily it's tackiness, but after dry it it get tackiness again.