Who do you think will win the Men's World Cup?

• Fan Zhendong

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lee Sangsu

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

• Wong Chun Ting

• Hugo Calderano

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Simon Gauzy

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
We all know the result, the only question is how many games can Timo get...

Timo got one. Not bad. FZD always looked invincible in this event except for the first two games against LGY. One marked difference in FZD's gameplay in this event is his patience to wait it out to strike instead of trying to hammer everything.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Jf3jwjd.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Timo got one. Not bad. FZD always looked invincible in this event except for the first two games against LGY. One marked difference in FZD's gameplay in this event is his patience to wait it out to strike instead of trying to hammer everything.
Marked difference? I actually disagree. If anything, FZD is known for his consistency. Where I agree with you is that he sometimes plays Chinese style and tries to hammer you with early attacks. But FZD is really at his best when he plays the Euro-looping style and relies on his consistency, power and Chinese technique to just abuse the opponent.

I think he has basically built the fitness now with Wang Hao's coaching to play that way at will. If LJK builds that fitness at well, their matches will be interesting in the future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 3 (Sun 21 October 2018)

Semi-finals:

[1] Fan Zhendong 4:1 Lin Gaoyuan [4] (10:12, 12:10, 15:13, 11:7, 11:6)
[3] Dimitrij Ovtcharov 2:4 Timo Boll [2] (14:12, 7:11, 13:15, 11:9, 11:13, 5:11)

3rd place match:

[4] Lin Gaoyuan 4:1 Dimitrij Ovtcharov [3] (11:7, 11:9, 9:11, 11:4, 11:3)

Final:

[1] Fan Zhendong 4:1 Timo Boll [2] (11:9, 11:5, 11:6, 9:11, 11:8)

Final standings:
Gold: Fan Zhendong (China) [1]
Silver: Timo Boll (Germany) [2]
Bronze: Lin Gaoyuan (China) [4]
4th place: Dimitrij Ovtcharov (Germany) [3]

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/2875/liebherr-mens-world-cup/

Last edited:
Reactions: Giangt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
But I have the feeling LJK is not as smart as FZD from a game sense perspective .. technique was its close but FZD has better sense of how to approach a point given a game situation
Marked difference? I actually disagree. If anything, FZD is known for his consistency. Where I agree with you is that he sometimes plays Chinese style and tries to hammer you with early attacks. But FZD is really at his best when he plays the Euro-looping style and relies on his consistency, power and Chinese technique to just abuse the opponent.

I think he has basically built the fitness now with Wang Hao's coaching to play that way at will. If LJK builds that fitness at well, their matches will be interesting in the future.

Reactions: Jimbob MacInbred
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
But I have the feeling LJK is not as smart as FZD from a game sense perspective .. technique was its close but FZD has better sense of how to approach a point given a game situation

Yes, rainneverever has said as much, but it is partly experience as well as fitness. Success sometimes feeds itself and when you are fitter, your options and confidence expand. In terms of power, he is the only person I think of and compare to FZD.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
That's in your head. I love the highest quality table tennis, and we surely got it. We've had whiners on this forum before who complained that seeing chinese tt is so boring, the response is the same: who's twisting your arm forcing you to watch it? I think you need to find a new hobby because this domination isn't ending anytime soon.

So you like complete domination and predictable outcome, sounds like fun.

Reactions: Junting
This user has no status.
That's in your head. I love the highest quality table tennis, and we surely got it. We've had whiners on this forum before who complained that seeing chinese tt is so boring, the response is the same: who's twisting your arm forcing you to watch it? I think you need to find a new hobby because this domination isn't ending anytime soon.
Whatever man. You do you. I hope you'll have fun watching the chinese continue dominating forever. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Definitely. I'm just curious, what do you think that you'll achieve by airing your negativity here about the best table tennis on this planet?

Whatever man. You do you. I hope you'll have fun watching the chinese continue dominating forever. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

This user has no status.
Definitely. I'm just curious, what do you think that you'll achieve by airing your negativity here about the best table tennis on this planet?
How does me just saying my opinion airs negativity? Is it forbidden to say anything that contradicts what most of the members in this forum (i'm assuming) like?

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
pls don,t argue and angry with each other, enjoy table tennis is the main thing, Chinese is helping other countries, they send a lot coaches and players outside , hoping that the other countries and catch up . It is not a crime to win all the time, the other countries should try hard to catch up. Look at this way, we try to enjoy to see if other countries to beat the Chinese, if not , we should just enjoy the game. FZD plays good table tennis, Timo has a very good experience, they both good players.

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2016
They did before , I think it was because Japan said they will beat China and finish China's domination at Olympic and there were few inccident between China and Japan, China was worried they may lose at Olympic so they stop foreign players to play . I read something about it but I could be wrong