Pre-made bat for a beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Hi everyone.

Beginner here. Like many neophytes may come asking for your guidance i please ask of you to help me choose my first premade bat.
Although i've been playing for a couple of years at the university i've only used the cheap plastic (and extremely worn out) rackets they lend us there.

So yeah my first ever decent racket. I looked into it and i believe i have 3 options that seem ok:

-STIGA Pure Color 3-Star
-DHS 4002 4-Star
-Huieson Wenge Wood & Carbon Fiber Blade 6 Star

I'm interested in something with a little speed, for working on an aggressive style. What do you think about these three? If you wish to suggest any other racket by all means, please go ahead.

Also i think i'll be buying from AliExpress, is it a good place or should i look somewhere else?

Thanks for helping out a beginner :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I can recommend the following Palio setup. It is inexpensive and works pretty well. Rubbers are on the soft side (Palio CJ8000 36-38deg) and the blade is 5 ply all wood with a softer outer ply. This works well for looping, generating spin on serves, and counter hits. Great level of control. It also blocks well. Stay away from stiff carbon blades.

If you out grow this, you can put on some 40-42 degree Palio Hadou 40+ rubbers and you will have more speed with still a good amount of spin.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pal...000&pvid=b347618d-6d59-44a6-bcd1-4bfc41410e53

Last edited:
Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.

+1

check also this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAN...-pong-Racket-Send-Cover-case/32793574001.html Very good ALL blade for beginner and intermediate player with lots of potentials. It is paired with good "generic" T88 rubbers.

This is what I got for my 10y.o. kid, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...8-With-General-Rubbers-a-pair/1308156861.html Lots of smiles and joy I got from my kid. Very nice blade and rubbers. Downside is that it doesn't include bat-bag with it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hi everyone.

Beginner here. Like many neophytes may come asking for your guidance i please ask of you to help me choose my first premade bat.
Although i've been playing for a couple of years at the university i've only used the cheap plastic (and extremely worn out) rackets they lend us there.

So yeah my first ever decent racket. I looked into it and i believe i have 3 options that seem ok:

-STIGA Pure Color 3-Star
-DHS 4002 4-Star
-Huieson Wenge Wood & Carbon Fiber Blade 6 Star

I'm interested in something with a little speed, for working on an aggressive style. What do you think about these three? If you wish to suggest any other racket by all means, please go ahead.

Also i think i'll be buying from AliExpress, is it a good place or should i look somewhere else?

Thanks for helping out a beginner :)

Hi Mr. Writer,

From the premades you mentioned I only know about the DHS 4002 since one of the beginners in our club has been using one, but the thing about premades is they become unusable after the rubbers are worn out since the rubbers are very very difficult to remove from the blade.
So at first I would recommend to look beyond premades. Most of the times you can get a decent non-premade setup for the same amount of money.
And the plus side is you will be able to keep the blade after the rubbers are worn and need a removal. So in the long run it will be much cheaper to just replace rubbers instead of the whole racket. Also in my humble opinion premades are made for people who maybe play once or twice a year, so if you plan to play more frequently those premades aren't very recommendable.

I've seen you're from Mexico, so you can check if shipping costs won't be too high if you order from colestt.com
He has some very good beginner setups that are not premade so you can easily remove rubbers after they become unusable.
If you have any shops nearby you could also ask for beginner friendly setup. Many shops give discounts in rubbers and blades that aren't from the newest rubber generation but still are very good and also more beginner friendly.

So from my point of view, if you wanna do yourself a favour then stay away from premades.
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas and lVegita
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Hi Mr. Writer,

From the premades you mentioned I only know about the DHS 4002 since one of the beginners in our club has been using one, but the thing about premades is they become unusable after the rubbers are worn out since the rubbers are very very difficult to remove from the blade.
So at first I would recommend to look beyond premades. Most of the times you can get a decent non-premade setup for the same amount of money.
And the plus side is you will be able to keep the blade after the rubbers are worn and need a removal. So in the long run it will be much cheaper to just replace rubbers instead of the whole racket. Also in my humble opinion premades are made for people who maybe play once or twice a year, so if you plan to play more frequently those premades aren't very recommendable.

I've seen you're from Mexico, so you can check if shipping costs won't be too high if you order from colestt.com
He has some very good beginner setups that are not premade so you can easily remove rubbers after they become unusable.
If you have any shops nearby you could also ask for beginner friendly setup. Many shops give discounts in rubbers and blades that aren't from the newest rubber generation but still are very good and also more beginner friendly.

So from my point of view, if you wanna do yourself a favour then stay away from premades.
[Emoji2]

The Palio I listed will not have any issues removing and replacing the rubbers. Unlike those from other brands like Stiga, Killerspin and ??????

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
The Palio I listed will not have any issues removing and replacing the rubbers. Unlike those from other brands like Stiga, Killerspin and ??????

I see. I thought those were also factory-preassembled, but maybe it's just the glue that's used, or someone really assembles them manually like Cole does or many other shops also do.

In that case one must distinguish between factory-assembled premades and rather 'handmade'-premades.

There's nothing wrong about the latter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I see. I thought those were also factory-preassembled, but maybe it's just the glue that's used, or someone really assembles them manually like Cole does or many other shops also do.

In that case one must distinguish between factory-assembled premades and rather 'handmade'-premades.

There's nothing wrong about the latter.

You know, I am not sure. I just have one of the Pailo's and I pulled off the rubbers. Seemed like they used water based glue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Thanks everyone for replying, it really helps :)

I can recommend the following Palio setup. It is inexpensive and works pretty well. Rubbers are on the soft side (Palio CJ8000 36-38deg) and the blade is 5 ply all wood with a softer outer ply. This works well for looping, generating spin on serves, and counter hits. Great level of control. It also blocks well. Stay away from stiff carbon blades.

If you out grow this, you can put on some 40-42 degree Palio Hadou 40+ rubbers and you will have more speed with still a good amount of spin.

Thanks for the advice but why should i stay away from carbon blades? As i have a shallow understanding on the subject i believe carbon blades are stiffer providing a bit more speed, but you get less "feeling" on the ball, right? Also what should i have in mind when looking at the number of plies? The palio you suggest is an all wood 5 ply blade, whereas the Palio 3 Star (pretty much same price) is a 5+2 carbon blade with palio AK47 rubbers (i believe they are 2,2mm ones). Should i expect the latter one to be faster yet harder to control??
I ask because, on the other hand, i could get a custom one. Palio and sanwei seem to offer good equipement at a really low price. Yet the market seems to demand lots of OFF and OFF+ blades; as a rookie should i really look for an ALL? or can i take off with an ALL+ if im confident i'm going for an offensive game? And if i get a custom one, any advice for the rubbers? or should i just look for anything 2mm or below that.

Just curious, i saw 7+2 carbon blades (9 plies total) whats up with this ones?

Don't wanna make a big deal about my first bat but having the possibility to ask you is great. Really thanks

Btw sorry if my english is a bit sloppy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018

Thanks for the advice but why should i stay away from carbon blades? As i have a shallow understanding on the subject i believe carbon blades are stiffer providing a bit more speed, but you get less "feeling" on the ball, right? Also what should i have in mind when looking at the number of plies? The palio you suggest is an all wood 5 ply blade, whereas the Palio 3 Star (pretty much same price) is a 5+2 carbon blade with palio AK47 rubbers (i believe they are 2,2mm ones). Should i expect the latter one to be faster yet harder to control??
I ask because, on the other hand, i could get a custom one. Palio and sanwei seem to offer good equipement at a really low price. Yet the market seems to demand lots of OFF and OFF+ blades; as a rookie should i really look for an ALL? or can i take off with an ALL+ if im confident i'm going for an offensive game? And if i get a custom one, any advice for the rubbers? or should i just look for anything 2mm or below that.

Don't wanna make a big deal about my first bat but having the possibility to ask you is great. Really thanks

A simple pre made to all that.
This is what happens when you spend 6 days reading these forums.

Been there, done that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Stick to ALL or OFF-. Fast equipment is terrible for development as it makes short touches harder to keep short and low and hard hits harder to keep on because you cant make spin as easily. Theyre better for when you get a good touch. Which takes years to develop. also the numbness makes it easier to write a mediocre shot that goes on as a good shot because you cant feel that jaggy buzz
But a slowish bat will be more than good enough as long as you are not 7 and weak in the arm.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
If you are buying from Aliexpress, I will sum it up to you.

5 ply Yinhe blades:
- Earth 3 (E3)
- W6
- N10s
- N11s

Get the one with the prettiest handle.

For rubbers, just get the same for both sides. Can be:
- Palio AK47 Yellow/Blue
- Sanwei Taiji 88
- KTL Pro XP
- Anything will be better than a premade, actually

Buy from one of the stores mentioned here:
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...971-Reliable-table-tennis-shops-on-Aliexpress

Ask if they can glue it for you. Some of them will do.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Buy the best offensive blade you can trust it is, and put two cheap rubbers on it, by the time when you get better and better , just change rubbers and that's it, you stay with your fast and professional blade with different rubbers

I am sorry, but disagree with this. Stay with an "ALL", or "OFF-" Wood blade. Something with some flex and not too hard of a surface. You need to develop your strokes and it is difficult to do that with a fast blade with any type of rubbers. Once you develop proper strokes, you will be able to hit the ball hard and fast enough. By the time you are ready for an upgrade you should have a better idea of how you like to play. With that knowledge you then can make an educated decision on what gear you want to graduate into.

For starting out I like the Palio setup with the CJ8000 rubbers. Those rubbers offer good grip, are not too bouncy and offer good control. I think they are better for learning on the the Palio AK47 rubbers.

The blade that I linked to in my post is a version of the below, which can be found on amazon.

"Palio Expert 2 Table Tennis Racket & Case"

Or, on Amazon dot com dot mx

"Palio de arriate 2 raqueta de tenis de mesa y estuche"

Last edited:
says Hi TT Comunity!
try www.tabletennis11.com you won't regret!

If you are buying from Aliexpress, I will sum it up to you.

5 ply Yinhe blades:
- Earth 3 (E3)
- W6
- N10s
- N11s

Get the one with the prettiest handle.

For rubbers, just get the same for both sides. Can be:
- Palio AK47 Yellow/Blue
- Sanwei Taiji 88
- KTL Pro XP
- Anything will be better than a premade, actually

Buy from one of the stores mentioned here:
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...971-Reliable-table-tennis-shops-on-Aliexpress

Ask if they can glue it for you. Some of them will do.

This user has no status.
I am sorry, but disagree with this. Stay with an "ALL", or "OFF-" Wood blade. Something with some flex and not too hard of a surface. You need to develop your strokes and it is difficult to do that with a fast blade with any type of rubbers. Once you develop proper strokes, you will be able to hit the ball hard and fast enough. By the time you are ready for an upgrade you should have a better idea of how you like to play. With that knowledge you then can make an educated decision on what gear you want to graduate into.

For starting out I like the Palio setup with the CJ8000 rubbers. Those rubbers offer good grip, are not too bouncy and offer good control. I think they are better for learning on the the Palio AK47 rubbers.
The blade that I linked to in my post is a version of the below, which can be found on amazon.
"Palio Expert 2 Table Tennis Racket & Case"
Or, on Amazon dot com dot mx
"Palio de arriate 2 raqueta de tenis de mesa y estuche"

1+
Fast blades will be too hard to control, and will likely distort your strokes.
Something between ALL+ and OFF- works well.