Trying new blade after Viscaria

Carl is right. I don't know if my 'older' clipper is from the 90's but it is DEFINITELY THINNER (around 6mm) than current clippers. It weighs in just over 92gm. 92.3 to be exact. It's the heaviest blade I own but it's so well balanced that it feels lighter than my other head heavy blades that weigh less. Feeling wise, it's the best blade i've ever owned with plenty of power on tap. I now understand the 'hype' regarding vintage (stiga) blades. I am now a believer! ;)
Unless you get one from the 90s, I think they are all 7mm these days. But perhaps you meant heavier, like over 92 grams. That would make it a faster Clipper. I also feel that is a perfect weight for a Clipper.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl is right. I don't know if my 'older' clipper is from the 90's but it is DEFINITELY THINNER (around 6mm) than current clippers. It weighs in just over 92gm. 92.3 to be exact. It's the heaviest blade I own but it's so well balanced that it feels lighter than my other head heavy blades that weigh less. Feeling wise, it's the best blade i've ever owned with plenty of power on tap. I now understand the 'hype' regarding vintage (stiga) blades. I am now a believer! ;)

Those older, thinner Clippers are awesome. Never sell that. That is an amazing blade. I am not sure when they stopped making the 6mm ones but they are awesome. And such good feeling.

Reactions: splasher78
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Another suggestion. Keep the Viscaria but something like Karis M rubber on it. It will tame all of the twitchiness but you will still have the power when you need it. Alternatively, Stiga Mantra H.

Those older, thinner Clippers are awesome. Never sell that. That is an amazing blade. I am not sure when they stopped making the 6mm ones but they are awesome. And such good feeling.

I don’t plan on it Carl! I’m not sure either, but man the feeling is like no other. I know feeling is very personal and subjective, but everyone whose tried it loved it. I’m not trying to justify the high(ish) price I paid for it either. Id have easily paid $50 more if given the option to try before buying. For now, my search for the ‘perfect’ blade has ended. This is easily my GRAIL blade. Not to sound snobby but I’ve no interest in finding other blades except this particular clipper. I hope the OP finds what he’s searching for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Another suggestion. Keep the Viscaria but something like Karis M rubber on it. It will tame all of the twitchiness but you will still have the power when you need it. Alternatively, Stiga Mantra H.

I ordered some Stiga Mantra H to try on my Viscaria and will receive it next week, maybe it will tame the twitchiness as you said :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Btw, my Viscaria is really light (83/84g), will I have different feeling with a heavier Viscaria (more than 90g) ?

Btw, my Viscaria is really light (83/84g), will I have different feeling with a heavier Viscaria (more than 90g) ?

Yes you will. A 5gm increase in blade weight alone will make it feel almost entirely different. But not in a bad way imo. It will still feel like a viscaria because that’s what it is. It will definitely be and feel faster though due to the weight increase. I now understand why more experienced players say “no two blades are exactly alike”. I actually prefer blades that are 88-93gm. As they feel sturdier and more stable during drives and blocks. Not to mention the increase in power with the weight increase. But again it’s all subjective. There are others who prefer lighter blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If the OP does not mind his blade being slower than Viscaria of which I think he knows since he is asking about the Petr Korbel, the Xiom Offensive S is enough.

At some point, very shortly after the first post, he refined what he is asking for:

I just realized that I loved the feeling of an all-wood.
I just wanted to know if there is an alternative to the Viscaria : same speed but more linear and less "dynamic".

This is why it helps to read once in a while.

Last edited:
At some point, very shortly after the first post, he refined what he is asking for:

This is why it helps to read once in a while.
Viscaria and Extreme S are not in the same speed level. It is also advisable to check the speed of the blade you are suggesting. At least you should have read again my post saying "IF THE OP DOES NOT MIND HAVING A SLOWER BLADE THAN VISCARIA" you could have already thought that i was suggesting the offensive S despite what you are thinking.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Viscaria and Extreme S are not in the same speed level. It is also advisable to check the speed of the blade you are suggesting. At least you should have read again my post saying "IF THE OP DOES NOT MIND HAVING A SLOWER BLADE THAN VISCARIA" you could have already thought that i was suggesting the offensive S despite what you are thinking.

Extreme S is very similar in speed to Clipper. Offensive S is considerably slower. I have used both.

If he is asking for a blade close to the same speed as Viscaria but all wood, Extreme S is much closer.

But you seem to like to argue about nonsense.

Extreme S is very similar in speed to Clipper. Offensive S is considerably slower. I have used both.

If he is asking for a blade close to the same speed as Viscaria but all wood, Extreme S is much closer.

But you seem to like to argue about nonsense.

No, I am arguing with sense since I posted about something specific. NO, Clipepr and Extreme S are not in the same level of speed. Clipper is slower, Clipper CC is the one that is near the speed of Extreme Speed but still IS NOT IN THE LEVEL OF VISCARIA's speed. Again, check you are the one that needs to read carefully what I posted. I never claimed nor posted that about the Offensive S speed equal or near Viscaria. What part of the phrase "IF THE OP DOES NOT MIND HAVING A SLOWER BLADE THAN VISCARIA" do you not understand? Or did you even consider the fact that and even read that I posted the suggestion of using Offensive S a day earlier before he said he wanted something as fast as Viscaria which obviously again negates your argument against mine and also posting a blade erroneously labeling an Extreme S as fast as Viscaria or even comparing Clipper having similar speed to Extreme IS NON-SENSE! I can do this all day Carl do not embarass yourself any further.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
No, I am arguing with sense since I posted about something specific. NO, Clipepr and Extreme S are not in the same level of speed. Clipper is slower, Clipper CC is the one that is near the speed of Extreme Speed but still IS NOT IN THE LEVEL OF VISCARIA's speed. Again, check you are the one that needs to read carefully what I posted. I never claimed nor posted that about the Offensive S speed equal or near Viscaria. What part of the phrase "IF THE OP DOES NOT MIND HAVING A SLOWER BLADE THAN VISCARIA" do you not understand? Or did you even consider the fact that and even read that I posted the suggestion of using Offensive S a day earlier before he said he wanted something as fast as Viscaria which obviously again negates your argument against mine and also posting a blade erroneously labeling an Extreme S as fast as Viscaria or even comparing Clipper having similar speed to Extreme IS NON-SENSE! I can do this all day Carl do not embarass yourself any further.

I just wanted to know if there is an alternative to the Viscaria : same speed but more linear and less "dynamic".

And it seems he is asking for something close to the same speed as Viscaria: doesn't that sound like what this says?

Which is closer to the speed of Viscaria: Offensive S or Extreme S?

Or are you saying Extreme is not closer to the speed of the Viscaria than the Offensive S?

So, if he is asking for a blade that is all wood and the same speed as the Viscaria, or as close to the same speed as possible to the Viscaria, WHICH is the better fit? Offensive S or Extreme S?

If your answer is that the Extreme S is closer in Speed to the Viscaria, and even closer to the speed of Viscaria than the Clipper, then what exactly are you attacking me for?

You can try to insult me all you want. But you making personal attacks on me does not change the fact that you are attacking me without understanding what I wrote or why.

Last edited:
And it seems he is asking for something close to the same speed as Viscaria: doesn't that sound like what this says?

Which is closer to the speed of Viscaria: Offensive S or Extreme S?

Or are you saying Extreme is not closer to the speed of the Viscaria than the Offensive S?

You can try to insult me all you want. But you making personal attacks on me does not change the fact that you are attacking me without understanding what I wrote or why.

Oh ok, if I am the one taking your subtle cheap shots it is ok but if you are hounding me and calling my post non-sense and me replying and defending my post it is an insult now??

"Which is closer to the speed of Viscaria: Offensive S or Extreme S?"

Where did I argue that Offensive S is closer to the speed range of Viscaria. Again, which part of the suggestion that i said, "If the OP does not mind having a blade slwoer than Viscaria" says that Offensive S is faster or near the level of VISCARIA??? you're making something up that is not even part of my arguement.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh ok, if I am the one taking your subtle cheap shots it is ok but if you are hounding me and calling my post non-sense and me replying and defending my post it is an insult now??

"Which is closer to the speed of Viscaria: Offensive S or Extreme S?"

Where did I argue that Offensive S is closer to the speed range of Viscaria. Again, which part of the suggestion that i said, "If the OP does not mind having a blade slwoer than Viscaria" says that Offensive S is faster or near the level of VISCARIA??? you're making something up that is not even part of my arguement.

So, if the OP wants something close to the speed of the Viscaria, wouldn't Extreme S be closer than Offensive S?

Why would you imply Extreme S is a bad recommendation?

So, if the OP wants something close to the speed of the Viscaria, wouldn't Extreme S be closer than Offensive S?

Why would you imply Extreme S is a bad recommendation?

Again, I never claimed which is nearer between the Extreme S and Offensive S to Viscaria. What my problem with your post is that you seem to point out that I did not read all his statements when it is in fact YOU did not read all my statements properly nor try to understand them properly, even calling my post non-sense and now you are offended??!! I'll put this in chronological order and you can even check the timestamps.
1. OP asked for a blade that is close to Korbel aside from the DHS blade.
2. I mistakenly read it and suggested another Viscaria but I edited it and suggested Offensive S because this is the closest to Petr Korbel not only
in terms of playing characteristics but also in wood composition.
3. OP changed his mind and asked something with the SAME SPEED with Viscaria.
4. You posted your response to OP's query only when he changed his option.
5. I answered "IF THE OP DOES NOT MIND HAVING A SLOWER BLADE THAN VISCARIA", you called my post non-sense and then putting words into my mouth that I am even comparing the speed of both Extreme S and Offensive S and where in the heck did I say that Offensive S closer to Viscaria than Extreme S when I said in the first place the phrase I just quoted????
6. Extreme S does not have the stiffness that is close to Viscaria. There are other blades that are faster and more stiff in which again my point is only comparing the speed of the Clipper and Extreme S of which you said have the same level of speed which they do not even have.

Yogi / Carl

You guys are both valuable members of the forum who provide a lot of insight and content. Can we just let it go?

No, I will not let it go. Not if he takes subtle cheap shots at me whenever he can. He can deny it all he want but i will not myself take this anymore.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
No, I will not let it go. Not if he takes subtle cheap shots at me whenever he can. He can deny it all he want but i will not myself take this anymore.

So your post that the Offensive S was good enough had nothing to do with my post about the Extreme S being closer to what he seemed to be looking for?