Let's start a conversation - Harimoto / Ma Long BH

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I wish to start a talking point. Let me start by giving a context. Last week during my coaching, I had a conversation and I showed my coach a random video of Ma Long's powerful BH, something like this:
And being the fan-boy that I am, I was cooing how marvelous and wonderful the Chinese BH is and hinted to him I wanted to have something similar like that. Instead of expecting an, "OK, I will teach you my young Padawan response", instead I got a converse response.

My coach said, No! This Chinese style will not do for you. You do not have the built nor time nor strict training to do that. For that you need special training and being an amateur that you are, your legs will tire out too fast to learn this style like Ma Long.

However, to my wonderful surprise, the conversation with my coach did not end there. He continued, I want you to look at Harimoto's BH. It would suit you more with your equipment set up and play style. NB: I have been with him about ten lessons or so far, hence I would agree that he roughly know and understand my playstyle. He then continue to give me pointers on how to improve my BH which I will not list down here for brevity purpose.

This brings me to this point:
Why you should have a table tennis coach - PingSunday

The author of the above article brought a very pertinent point, if I do not have a good coach, I would still be in the dark searching on how to get a good BH. There are so many ways to skin the cat and without a mentor, I would have still been wasting my time looking for a technique that suits my built & equipment set-up etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The truth of the matter is, you just need to train, practice and learn how to spin the ball (loop) with your BH. Most of the time, when you hit with your BH you just put your racket in front of the ball and bump into the ball tentatively. Often you take your BH in awkward positions because you have not moved your feet to the ball or you are trying to hit a BH at your crossover point without moving. Your BH is better when you have more time and you know the ball is being hit to your BH.

And the more you practice looping backspin with your BH, the better your BH will get. Just train. It does not make sense to imitate any of the top pros. Groove your strokes and you will learn how to do the strokes.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
The truth of the matter is, you just need to train, practice and learn how to spin the ball (loop) with your BH. Most of the time, when you hit with your BH you just put your racket in front of the ball and bump into the ball tentatively. Often you take your BH in awkward positions because you have not moved your feet to the ball or you are trying to hit a BH at your crossover point without moving. Your BH is better when you have more time and you know the ball is being hit to your BH.

And the more you practice looping backspin with your BH, the better your BH will get. Just train. It does not make sense to imitate any of the top pros. Groove your strokes and you will learn how to do the strokes.
Well said my friend. Thank you. BTW: what does Groove your stroke mean?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well said my friend. Thank you. BTW: what does Groove your stroke mean?

Repeat it and repeat and repeat it and repeat it and repeat it and repeat it thousands of thousands of thousands of thousands of times till its like wheels running in well worn grooves in the road. Because you have gone over the road so many times the tire worn grooves in the road keep the tires on the right track.

Then your stroke just happens because of how many times you have done it and the stroke is always solid.

You might actually do well for yourself if, over the next few weeks practice a few thousand shadow strokes a day every day in front of a mirror so you can see the shadow strokes.

If you did 30 min of shadow BH strokes in front of a mirror 4-5 days a week for the next 3 weeks, I guarantee your BH will improve just as a result of the shadow strokes. If you make your coach do 15-20 minutes of you just looping backspin with your BH for the next 10 sessions, that will also cause your BH to improve.

You need the repetitions. If you watch Ma Long warm up at the beginning, when he starts looping, how relaxed his FH loop stroke looks, and how it looks exactly the same every time, that is grooving your stroke. You need more repetitions and at this point, if you watch 5-10 BH shots of yours on video, you will notice that you keep doing different things each time you hit the BH....many variations on half punch half block and you are taking the ball at different places because you move your racket to the ball without moving your feet so that you are in a good position.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For me, with my BH, I want to take the ball so the ball is in front of the left side of my stomach half way between my middle and my side and ideally I would like to take the ball at the top of my stomach just below my chest. To do that, I would have to move my feet so the ball is in front of the left side of my torso and then adjust how high I am by getting lower so that I am low enough for the ball to be at that height I described when I take the ball. So you move your whole body so the ball is in your strike zone when you take your stroke.

Reactions: IB66 and Gozo Aruna

NDH

says Spin to win!
However, to my wonderful surprise, the conversation with my coach did not end there. He continued, I want you to look at Harimoto's BH. It would suit you more with your equipment set up and play style. NB: I have been with him about ten lessons or so far, hence I would agree that he roughly know and understand my playstyle. He then continue to give me pointers on how to improve my BH which I will not list down here for brevity purpose.

Ahhhh the Backhand, the single most important stroke in "non professional" Table Tennis in my opinion.

Why? Because *most* people learn a decent forehand if they play for long enough, and it's usually the side they are most comfortable on from the outset.

But.... Even at the higher levels, I find that not *that* many people have a really strong backhand - Certainly not the kind of backhand that will blast you off the table.

It's often a well controlled backhand, one that can block, counter and move the ball around - But rarely do you see people open up against backspin, or loop against heavy backspin (the caveat here is that all juniors in the last 10 years have been taught to backhand flick, so they are fine on the opening, but struggle against heavy backspin).

Now, I'm going to disagree with your coach here. So clearly you should ignore all the advice I'm about to give, because I'm no where near as qualified to give my opinion compared to a coach who has seen you play a lot.

But..... When I've watched Harimoto play (and granted, it's not a huge amount) - His backhand is very "punch" focussed.

This works well at the Pro level, but personally, I don't think that style of backhand is necessarily the best at a non pro level.

I say this, because most intermediate/improving players get "stuck" on their backhand. A backspin serve goes in, and then it's just a big old push fest until someone can step around on their forehand to top spin the ball.

If you are learning a more "punchy" backhand, I don't think you'll have the confidence to initiate that first loop (on the backhand).

That's not to say you can't have both - A spinny/loopy open up, followed by aggressive punches, but I would personally focus on the spinny/loopy open ups first.

What @carl said is absolutely right - When I came back to the sport 7 years ago, I was less confident on my backhand, and it caused me issues when trying to get around to my forehand.

I spent an entire summer (when the league wasn't on), training and playing practice matches, where I would just try and hit backhands with nothing to lose.

Granted, I already had a decent technique from the coaching I had as a junior, but that repetition and focus on one shot for the best part of 3 months turned my backhand into one of my best shots.

When I look at how I use my backhand now..... I can play punchy/close to the table shots..... But that's only against players who are opening up against me, and like to relentlessly attack (those players are rare at the intermediate/improver stage).

A lot of my backhand involves looping the first ball, counter looping and flicking close to the table - A very different technique to the punchy shots.

This all depends on exactly what your coach meant of course...... 😂, but if I were you, I'd play the game the way you want to.... If that's copying Ma Long, then do it.... But adapt it to what works for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
To me there’s not much difference between Harimoto’s BH and Ma Long’s BH, especially the basic BH against backspin ball. Of course there are differences because they have different bodies, strength, habits… etc. but basically their BH strokes have the same mechanism.

There are always variations, you just learn the basic mechanism, practice the stroke thousands of times and you will develop your own stroke, it may not look exactly like Harimoto’s or Ma Long’s but it’d be fine as long as the mechanism is correct. A good coach would be very helpful as they will give your feedback where/how you need to correct or perfect your stroke.

Reactions: Tango K
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
This is in response to NDH's post above. First off, a massive massive LIKE for a long and well articulated post.

Secondly, yes, I do not agree with some of your points there. As I recalled, my coach wants me to punch the ball more. The term he uses is dianqiu, which based on my own rough translation is to jab at the ball. Hence it is a like jab instead of a punch. Furthermore, he wants me to take the ball at the first timing, hitting the ball immediately as it bounces. The end results, as I can see, is that my BH drive is suppose to be fast and hopefully out pace my opponent. This is how he wants me to perform my BH drive.

As for opening up against backspin, I am still hopeless at it. However, he agrees that I cut / push them a couple of time first before attempting to BH loop. This is, hopefully, the ball during rally comes back to me with less heavy spin so that I can loop over the net with greater percentage, which incidentally is true for me.

I have been playing TT in my eighth year and it has been long enough I wander aimlessly in the desert of ignorance. I've had watched many YT videos and yet I have learned nothing. Perhaps it the way my brain works. I need a coach to hand-hold me to learn effectively. It seems that I must be mollycoddled to learn effectively.

I need live feedback. I need to have a person hand holding me literally to give me tactile feedback on what is the correct angle and the amount of pressure to use, etc. I learn more effectively through feeling or tactile feedback and worse through words or visual cue. My brain does not seem to be able to pick up visual or words as effectively as tactile feedback.

As of now, I am happy to be making some progress and very much dependent on my coach advise for improvement. I have wandered long enough aimlessly alone and it is time to use a guide to further my TT journey. Heck, even if my coach says to BH like Aruna Quadri, I would still listen to my coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: IB66 and NDH
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
One of the coaches I help out with, says that BH v backspin is a stroke in its own right and should be seen as a separate stroke to a 'normal' BH top spin.

He was also asking everyone when they play a BH top spin if they were a 'pusher' or 'puller'???!!!

This goes back to what NDH was saying about the 'punch' style Topspin which is like the 'pusher' more forearm punching/pushing forward with less wrist.
The 'puller' is where more wrist is used, forearm pivots around the elbow, wrist snaps through and 'pulls' the bat forward.
So v backspin, it's gonna be hard to use a 'push' type BH stroke.
BH v backspin is usually based on the 'pull' type stroke, wrist snaps through, more open bat face, swing plane more vertical, legs helping by pushing up.
If you learn to play your BH v backspin with the 'puller' stroke you may well think it natural to use the 'puller' type stroke for your BH topspin v topspin etc, but that stroke is similar but still different!!!
Different enough for the coach to say that even though based on the 'puller' principle they are 2 different strokes!!!.

Depending on what you want from your BH, your game style, your 'natural' preference etc etc, that will decide which stroke for BH v topspin is best learnt (first!!!!)
Eventually you'll learn both

For example the likes of Mima Ito use alot of punch/pusher type BH top spin strokes, because its fast but controlled strokes they want, less spin more speed and precision quick recovery etc.
Precision.
Noe these Gals can play a BH loop topspin as well!!!!

Reactions: NDH

NDH

says Spin to win!

Table Tennis is one of those sports where watching YouTube videos can broaden your knowledge on things, but there is no substitute for hands on 1 to 1 coaching.

The only reason I can watch TT videos and actually learn some things, is because I've had years of 1 to 1 coaching as a junior, 20 years of playing the sport at a high level and understand what can/can't work for my game (when watching the pros).

The minute you remove that 1 to 1 coaching.... the rest of it all comes tumbling down.

Back to my previous comment - I think a lot will depend on the people you are playing and the style of play in your country.

In the UK, a lot of intermediate players will push/mild backspin 50% of the time. Having a backhand loop to open up the rally would be a killer shot.

Having a backhand punch would be less useful, as the opposition will very rarely open up first.

However, if you are likely to be playing a lot of people who are happy to open up and get the topspin going, the use of a "close to the table" backhand punch would be a killer shot, and take all the time away from your opponent.

I've just looked, and I actually have a great example on my video.

At 1:10, the chap in Black serves a mild backspin/sidespin serve to my backhand.

My first backhand is a powerful backhand loop/topspin, and my second shot is a powerful punch.

Granted, the punch is still a bit topspinny, but I could only play that shot against a ball that had topspin on it.

If I'd tried that sort of backhand against the serve, it would have gone into the net.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you document your progress with it!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Ahhhh the Backhand, the single most important stroke in "non professional" Table Tennis in my opinion.

Why? Because *most* people learn a decent forehand if they play for long enough, and it's usually the side they are most comfortable on from the outset.

But.... Even at the higher levels, I find that not *that* many people have a really strong backhand - Certainly not the kind of backhand that will blast you off the table.

It's often a well controlled backhand, one that can block, counter and move the ball around - But rarely do you see people open up against backspin, or loop against heavy backspin (the caveat here is that all juniors in the last 10 years have been taught to backhand flick, so they are fine on the opening, but struggle against heavy backspin).

Now, I'm going to disagree with your coach here. So clearly you should ignore all the advice I'm about to give, because I'm no where near as qualified to give my opinion compared to a coach who has seen you play a lot.

But..... When I've watched Harimoto play (and granted, it's not a huge amount) - His backhand is very "punch" focussed.

This works well at the Pro level, but personally, I don't think that style of backhand is necessarily the best at a non pro level.

I say this, because most intermediate/improving players get "stuck" on their backhand. A backspin serve goes in, and then it's just a big old push fest until someone can step around on their forehand to top spin the ball.

If you are learning a more "punchy" backhand, I don't think you'll have the confidence to initiate that first loop (on the backhand).

That's not to say you can't have both - A spinny/loopy open up, followed by aggressive punches, but I would personally focus on the spinny/loopy open ups first.

What @carl said is absolutely right - When I came back to the sport 7 years ago, I was less confident on my backhand, and it caused me issues when trying to get around to my forehand.

I spent an entire summer (when the league wasn't on), training and playing practice matches, where I would just try and hit backhands with nothing to lose.

Granted, I already had a decent technique from the coaching I had as a junior, but that repetition and focus on one shot for the best part of 3 months turned my backhand into one of my best shots.

When I look at how I use my backhand now..... I can play punchy/close to the table shots..... But that's only against players who are opening up against me, and like to relentlessly attack (those players are rare at the intermediate/improver stage).

A lot of my backhand involves looping the first ball, counter looping and flicking close to the table - A very different technique to the punchy shots.

This all depends on exactly what your coach meant of course...... 😂, but if I were you, I'd play the game the way you want to.... If that's copying Ma Long, then do it.... But adapt it to what works for you.

This makes a lot of sense to me, and certainly fits with what I am experiencing right now in my league matches - when I can get over a pushed ball to my BH with a top spin / loop then I am winning most of those rallies.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

This makes a lot of sense to me, and certainly fits with what I am experiencing right now in my league matches - when I can get over a pushed ball to my BH with a top spin / loop then I am winning most of those rallies.

Yeah depending on level of opposition, a slower very spinny BH loop opener v a backspin serve can win the point outright there and then!! they just struggle to deal with the spin. Sometimes this is a better option than playing a faster open up shot with less spin, as it's more similar to playing against a more 'normal' BH topspin that they are use to encountering!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
Heck, even if my coach says to BH like Aruna Quadri, I would still listen to my coach.

Poor Aruna catching strays out here 😂

But I like this topic and have wondered myself specifically the difference between Ma Long's BH stroke vs topspin and vs backspin. Like what NDH and IB were saying, whether it's punch vs pull or push v spinny, the whole sequence or flow of energy looks starkly different between the two. Even in another video of ti long where he slows the stroke down, when ma long plays BH top v top he retreats his elbow initially and then seems to fling the whole right side of his body forward, with the elbow stopping and becoming a fulcrum at just the right moment so the forearm can rotate in direction of the shot.

When it comes to creating this groove, I'm still not sure about how I should be grooving the motion. Ma Long's BH topspin v topspin looks cool but somehow feels stranger than to what to me is the more normal stroke, where the right elbow doesn't initially have momentum flying forward

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, I would have to say, Gozo, and this is based on footage from you, that you would do well to do the work you need to start learning how to loop and loop vs backspin with your BH.

Usually a player who can loop with their BH can also punch. But a player who can punch with the BH may not know how to loop with the BH. The more important skill for where you are is the one that you are not so good at. And learning to loop with your BH will improve your punches because, often, you are taking your punches from positions where you are moving your racket at funny angles to try and get the ball on the table which ends up being a weak shot and sometimes they go out because of the compromised position of your arm and the racket.

By the way, from your other posts, you should also be working on your touch, the ability to push and specifically the ability to touch the ball softly and push the ball SHORT.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Something to practice that will help with soft touch. Watch the first exercise in this video. Don't worry about doing it on the edge of the table. Try to do this against a wall. Practice it till you can do it for a long time on a wall keeping the ball bouncing in a relatively small area on the wall:
If you practice that first exercise against a wall, you will improve because it will increase your control of the blade face. Try it. Tell us if it is as easy as it looks when Marcos Freitas does it. :)

Reactions: JeffM and Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do multiball and try to get as good quality as possible. Technique is irrelevant if the quality is good. I believe since there are not so much correct and bad technique it could be difficult to know what to believe in. Maybe it can be easier to try with multiball and adjust according to the shot quality. Can also be difficult to get a stroke with really good quality if you are afraid to miss since the opponent need to go and collect the ball all the time.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl