Frequent topic: How to improve alone

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Saw this on another forum and it is a good time to discuss again.

We see this on the forums every now and then. There is some situation where a player is in a land (like USA) where in the area there is no proper TT club with a coach anywhere close by, so players manage to somehow meetup and play some matches and try to improve, but going it alone like that has its challenges for sure.

The question often pops up: How to improve alone

I can say this and that and that... but when you boil it all down, you still need some other player on the other end to try to practice what you are trying to improve.

In conclusion, I can say that practicing serves is the ONLY practical TT exercise one can do on his/her own to improve. Even that, one still needs some help from others to get in the right direction.

Next up would be reading TT books on basics and tactics.

After that would be making and posting vids, but even that, you need a partner near your level and that may or may not be so easy.

Learning alone can be a frustrating thing for sure.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Saw this on another forum and it is a good time to discuss again.

We see this on the forums every now and then. There is some situation where a player is in a land (like USA) where in the area there is no proper TT club with a coach anywhere close by, so players manage to somehow meetup and play some matches and try to improve, but going it alone like that has its challenges for sure.

The question often pops up: How to improve alone

I can say this and that and that... but when you boil it all down, you still need some other player on the other end to try to practice what you are trying to improve.

In conclusion, I can say that practicing serves is the ONLY practical TT exercise one can do on his/her own to improve. Even that, one still needs some help from others to get in the right direction.

Next up would be reading TT books on basics and tactics.

After that would be making and posting vids, but even that, you need a partner near your level and that may or may not be so easy.

Learning alone can be a frustrating thing for sure.

Work on fitness, and strengthen your legs...squats, and the usual leg strengthening exercises will make you improve footwork. Without footwork, needless to say, high level tt is impossible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Me and my friend who is my only friend who plays seriously. find that watching matches of the pros actually do help.
watching a lot of getting the vision in your head what it looks like to have a proper stroke actually does make your stroke better. obviously it cant be your only form of improving due to variables such as spin and reaction time. you still need to actually play and practice.
but it does help, ESPECIALLY in the early stages

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I had to practice a lot on my own when I was younger and I know the difficulties. Heres what I picked up along the way:

- Video analysis. Video analysis is a great tool to see your own technique/game in action. Your able to see what your doing well, and what you need to work on. I found it a great way to improve my game. It's also great for confidence when you hit a few nice shots and watch them on playback later :)

- Serving. Serving has been mentioned here already, however I can't emphasize how important this is. The serve is the only time you have total control on the ball, and practising a combination of serves that are deceptive will really bring on your game. Once you master to grip the ball with lots of rotation, you will be able to make up all sorts of serves. Just keep them simple and efficient.

- Multi ball. The great purpose with multi ball is that anyone can learn how to do it. You can teach someone who is even a lower level than you to feed multi ball to you. I've seen players learn a good level of multi ball in just a few sessions.

- Robot. Using a robot can improve your technique. I coach a few players who use a robot a lot and they improve quickly.

- Improve on the simple things. The simple things are what matters. Improving the basics will really improve your game.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I wrote this when there was only one comment on the thread. But, I fell asleep and I am too lazy to edit it to account for the fact that some of these suggestions have been posted. I am glad other people have good ideas about self practice too. I think it can be really useful.

There are a few other self practice things that are table tennis specific. There is this Waldner video where he is bouncing a ball on the ground and then looping it to develop the correct form for the stroke. I do something similar where I bounce the ball on the table and try and keep it low and then loop it. I have used that to add more of the forearm into my forehand stroke and get more of that sort of whip action or snap action that gives the ball more spin. I have also used that to learn how to keep my wrist from dropping or perhaps hooking is a better term for what my wrist used to do.

I also like to do shadow strokes with a mirror, and shadow footwork drills, like falkenberg, 3-2-1, switching from forehand to backhand as though the ball was going to the same spot, switching from forehand to backhand with a onestep to get from one side to the other. When you can do things like that and take a good shadow stroke while doing the footwork drill you will be able to move better if there is a ball there; maybe not perfect, but things like that will help you improve.

I don't like them, but, machines are better than nothing when you have nobody to hit with.

At some point you do need to be playing with a real human. But, those things could help you progress, even when don't a coach around and even if your practice partners are not so great.

The one thing that these things will not help with, is, if your technique is off, you will be ingraining the wrong techniques into your muscle memory. At some point, you need someone who knows what they are doing to help you do things with the right technique.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I wrote this when there was only one comment on the thread. But, I fell asleep and I am too lazy to edit it to account for the fact that some of these suggestions have been posted. I am glad other people have good ideas about self practice too. I think it can be really useful.

There are a few other self practice things that are table tennis specific. There is this Waldner video where he is bouncing a ball on the ground and then looping it to develop the correct form for the stroke. I do something similar where I bounce the ball on the table and try and keep it low and then loop it. I have used that to add more of the forearm into my forehand stroke and get more of that sort of whip action or snap action that gives the ball more spin. I have also used that to learn how to keep my wrist from dropping or perhaps hooking is a better term for what my wrist used to do.

I also like to do shadow strokes with a mirror, and shadow footwork drills, like falkenberg, 3-2-1, switching from forehand to backhand as though the ball was going to the same spot, switching from forehand to backhand with a onestep to get from one side to the other. When you can do things like that and take a good shadow stroke while doing the footwork drill you will be able to move better if there is a ball there; maybe not perfect, but things like that will help you improve.

I don't like them, but, machines are better than nothing when you have nobody to hit with.

At some point you do need to be playing with a real human. But, those things could help you progress, even when don't a coach around and even if your practice partners are not so great.

The one thing that these things will not help with, is, if your technique is off, you will be ingraining the wrong techniques into your muscle memory. At some point, you need someone who knows what they are doing to help you do things with the right technique.

Great post as always! I agree with you all here :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl