Zhang Jike to win China Open 2013!!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Not too sure about that. If you look at the China Open thread, the rankings are based on May's, which would mean Wang is 3rd and Zhang is 4th. So it's gonna be WTTC over again if everything goes to plan.

Oh, okay. Thanks. Do you know why they would use world ranking that is out of date instead of the most recent one for the tournament? Or do you think that might be just that they are listed like that in the thread?

And if it happens, a Ma Long Zhang Jike final would not be such a bad thing. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Oh, okay. Thanks. Do you know why they would use world ranking that is out of date instead of the most recent one for the tournament? Or do you think that might be just that they are listed like that in the thread?

And if it happens, a Ma Long Zhang Jike final would not be such a bad thing. :)

I checked the ITTF website to and it said the same thing. I assume the players registered before the WTTC, before the rankings were updated so the ITTF probably stuck to that.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
UpsideDownCarl said:

And if it happens, a Ma Long Zhang Jike final would not be such a bad thing.
you can see all the tours before and in all of them #1 played #3 and #4 with number #2 . the seeding are based on the last WR list before deadline and you an also see the seeding in entries list .

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
you can see all the tours before and in all of them #1 played #3 and #4 with number #2 . the seeding are based on the last WR list before deadline and you an also see the seeding in entries list .

I know in the WTTC the seeding went: 1 and 4 were in one bracket. 2 and 3 were in another bracket. I know in the Olympics how it worked was that 1 was in one bracket and 2 was in a separate bracket, and then they did a random pick of the names of 3 and 4 out of a hat to decide which bracket 3 and 4 went into.

But most ITTF events I have seen go: 1 with 4 and 2 with 3. In most pro sports, that is how they do the seeding. In the basketball playoffs that are going on right now in the USA. In baseball, in the playoffs. In tennis. The number 1 seed has earned the right to face off against the lowest seed remaining of the top 4 as a result of what he earned in his record. If #1 played #3 and #2 played #4, it would be like rewarding #2 for not being as good as #1 and making it easier for #2 to get to the finals and making it harder for #1 to get to the finals.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So I decided to look at the seedings and the men's draw for some recent tournaments.

Now, in Kuwait and Qatar, the draw did have #1 paired with #3 and #2 paired with #4.

But In the Austrian Open, The Korean Open the draw had #1 paired with #4 and #2 paired with #3.

And, I do believe that that is the more normal way to do things, but, I guess we will see when the draw for the China open is set what the seeds are and how they are paired for the draw.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
While I hope that ZJK will still be close to peak form for China (should be unless he partied too much :)), the best way to attempt to predict his performances may be to look what he needs to do to succeed in the challenge LGL gave him - win a second grand slam.

E.g. unless the rules change again (who knows ...) he will have to be ranked 1st or 2nd in the world at a certain point before the Olympics to compete for China. We can expect him to do well in the month leading to that point.

Like the player most of us would consider the greatest ever, JOW, he may not become a reliable bet to win many other competitions. WLQ was one of the few who dominated all competitions for a long time, and my hat off for that achievement. But this reliability may have been one factor that allowed Schlager to make his historic WTTC title - he knew what to expect, he had the mental strength, and certainly he had some luck on his side as well.

Waldner was a great tactician, but even more so was able to win with unexpected shots. ZJK obviously has a great bh opening and short game, but his wins are based on using his physical and technical assets on better tactics than his opponents. When he uses those, his opponents rarely get to play great points, and the percentage of long points is short (that includes not only wttc but also his win against ML this year). Compare that to when he lost to taka at the Austrian open, where many points were actually beautiful long rallies.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

So I decided to look at the seedings and the men's draw for some recent tournaments.

Now, in Kuwait and Qatar, the draw did have #1 paired with #3 and #2 paired with #4.

But In the Austrian Open, The Korean Open the draw had #1 paired with #4 and #2 paired with #3.

And, I do believe that that is the more normal way to do things, but, I guess we will see when the draw for the China open is set what the seeds are and how they are paired for the draw.

In the Zagreb open, going on now, in the main draw, #1 seed was paired with #4 on the first side and #2 seed was paired with #3 on the second side of the draw.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
UpSideDownCarl said:
In the Zagreb open, going on now, in the main draw, #1 seed was paired with #4 on the first side and #2 seed was paired with #3 on the second side of the draw.
so i was wrong:(

sugomori said:
While I hope that ZJK will still be close to peak form for China (should be unless he partied too much :)), the best way to attempt to predict his performances may be to look what he needs to do to succeed in the challenge LGL gave him - win a second grand slam.

E.g. unless the rules change again (who knows ...) he will have to be ranked 1st or 2nd in the world at a certain point before the Olympics to compete for China. We can expect him to do well in the month leading to that point.

Like the player most of us would consider the greatest ever, JOW, he may not become a reliable bet to win many other competitions. WLQ was one of the few who dominated all competitions for a long time, and my hat off for that achievement. But this reliability may have been one factor that allowed Schlager to make his historic WTTC title - he knew what to expect, he had the mental strength, and certainly he had some luck on his side as well.

Waldner was a great tactician, but even more so was able to win with unexpected shots. ZJK obviously has a great bh opening and short game, but his wins are based on using his physical and technical assets on better tactics than his opponents. When he uses those, his opponents rarely get to play great points, and the percentage of long points is short (that includes not only wttc but also his win against ML this year). Compare that to when he lost to taka at the Austrian open, where many points were actually beautiful long rallies.
if he fall to #10 then even if he win all the pro tours in last months he will not be #1 or #2 . he must play good ( not his best but still good ) to still be in top 4 .
and i agree he win mostly because of technique not because if tactic so his prime time will be shorter then other players except of Ma Long ( he is 100% power ) .