China Trials for WTTTC 2014

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Thanks for the update @zjkfanforever Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin are all playing the Qatar Open this week. Busy schedule :) Any ideas why Zhang Jike is not playing the Qatar Open? Maybe he is taking a break since qualifying for the WTTTC 2014?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Thanks for the update @zjkfanforever Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin are all playing the Qatar Open this week. Busy schedule :) Any ideas why Zhang Jike is not playing the Qatar Open? Maybe he is taking a break since qualifying for the WTTTC 2014?

it was zhangs birthday yesterday so i think its because of that

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013

You are welcome!

Well, as to why Zhang Jike is not playing at Qatar Open, we are asking the same question here. Isn't he who is not going to compete in the second stage of the trials the one that has all the time to play a few games before WTTTC?:p BTW, he's not going to play at upcoming German Open either. Wang Hao and Fan Zhendong will be there according to the initial registration.

As you said, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, Yan An, Liang Jingkun have a very busy schedule. They are all going to compete in the second stage of the trials on the 26th, which leaves them only two day's rest after the conclusion of Qatar Open. I think the reason they postponed the games for one day from 24th to 25th is to accommodate Qatar Open. I don't know whether it's better to rest well before competition or it's better to keep the momentum going. Anyway, for Fan Zhendong, Yan An, and Liang Jingkun, there have been a lot of games played within a short period of time. Especially for Liang Jingkun, he has to play a few more games than the other two at both Kuwait and Qatar Open having to start in the qualification round. I know he's only 17, but the schedule is kind of exhausting both physically and mentally IMO.

Reactions: Dan and mefisto81
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I still feel because of the extensive physical nature of his technique , he has persistent injury issues and his workload is being managed . May be the CNT is too secretive to put this out there.
You are welcome!

Well, as to why Zhang Jike is not playing at Qatar Open, we are asking the same question here. Isn't he who is not going to compete in the second stage of the trials the one that has all the time to play a few games before WTTTC?:p BTW, he's not going to play at upcoming German Open either. Wang Hao and Fan Zhendong will be there according to the initial registration.

As you said, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, Yan An, Liang Jingkun have a very busy schedule. They are all going to compete in the second stage of the trials on the 26th, which leaves them only two day's rest after the conclusion of Qatar Open. I think the reason they postponed the games for one day from 24th to 25th is to accommodate Qatar Open. I don't know whether it's better to rest well before competition or it's better to keep the momentum going. Anyway, for Fan Zhendong, Yan An, and Liang Jingkun, there have been a lot of games played within a short period of time. Especially for Liang Jingkun, he has to play a few more games than the other two at both Kuwait and Qatar Open having to start in the qualification round. I know he's only 17, but the schedule is kind of exhausting both physically and mentally IMO.

Reactions: zjkfanforever
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I think there is a fairly simple answer to the question why ZJK is not present in Qatar or German Open. He simply is not playing as much because in Opens his motivation is not as high. Also it's unreasonable to expect that someone will win all Opens and the Grand Slams (like World Cup, World Championships and Olympics). As a top athlete ages he needs to space out his schedule accordingly, if you compare Zhang Jike with Li Xiaoxia, then both are mostly ranked in the top 3 (but usually not number 1) since they do not play as many Opens but always goes for the big events such as the Grand Slams plus other events such as World Teams, Asian Games etc which the CNT is very serious about. In Opens, players gain ranking point and obviously prize money (provided you play well) but you have to pace yourself. In badminton the same can be said about Lin Dan, who in his active years was also ranked mostly in top 3 (mostly not number 1 though) but always excelled in major events. This is a balance you have to find. To me Jike, Xiaoxia have obviously found a good balance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
CCTV-5 Live Stream Schedule for the second stage of Road to Tokyo 2014 WTTTC CNT Squad Trials

Date Time Rounds
February 25 12:30PM - 15:30PMWomen's Group
February 2613:35PM - 15:30PMMen's Quarter Finals
February 2714:00PM - 17:00PMMen's and Women's Semi Finals
February 2814:05PM - 16:00PM Men's and Women's Finals
CCTV-5 Live Stream Address: http://www.cntv-5.com/cctv5.html

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
The group draw for women's trials of the second stage.

Group A
Group B
Ding Ning
Liu Shiwen
Chen Meng
Wu Yang
Zhu Yuling
Feng Yalan
Mu Zi
Wen Jia

Players in each group will play in Round Robin system on February 25, 2014, and the top two finishers from Group A and Group B will advance to the semi-finals which will be held on February 27, 2014.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Yesterday's matches in HD

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Ma Long - Liang Jingkun 3-0 (11-3, 11-8, 11-9)

Fan Zhendong - Hao Shuai 3-1 (11-9, 7-11, 11-8, 11-6)

Wang Hao - Yan An 3-2 (11-5, 8-11, 11-7, 11-13, 11-8)

Xu Xin - Cheng Jingqi 3-0 (11-4, 11-5, 11-5)

Thanks for sharing! Wang Hao could be a dark horse in this second stage!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
China Trials Predictions

I would love to see Fan Zhendong taking it even though Ma Long is the favourite in the match tomorrow..

I think Ma Long vs FZD should go to the wire (predict 3-2 either way).

Advantages of Ma Long: more experience and variation + usually performs well in the first game (warms up during the match faster than most opponents) and this is important as it's the best of 5 sets
Advantages of FZD: youthful energy and high quality of power and strength especially BH side, with the BH banana flick being a key role. If he finds a way to get past first 3 balls then I think he has very good chances.

I would rate it was 60-40 in favour of Ma Long but I think it should be very close.