Clipper CR Setup Advice

This user has no status.
Good day TTD!

Some of you may have read my review on the Viscaria blade with Hurricane 3 blue sponge and Boost TX rubbers. Well, if not, still okay. hehe. I am reverting back to all wood blades for the feel, and I've finally decided to purchase Stiga Clipper CR Non-WRB. My choices back then were Butterfly Petr Korbel and Stiga Infinity. But heck, those two are much more expensive than the Clipper. And coming from a Viscaria which is fast and powerful, the Clipper would be the best choice. :)

My problem now is what rubbers to use for FH and BH? I am a college student so every money saved is important. :)

Playstyle: Close to mid-table player. Relies on FH spinny loops or drives to finish a point. BH is used for punch blocks, and sometimes looping (i've quite liked looping in this department). I receive mostly BH flicks and banana flicks. I highly value control and placement so short game is very important to me. Also, durability is relevant as I can't change my rubber for 6 months. I have two upcoming tournaments, first is around 3-4th week September and the second one is on February 2015.

What I want is a spinny FH rubber with greater catapult than Donic Baracuda (one that I've used before) and a good speed to spin ratio BH rubber. If BH rubber is slightly speed oriented with good spin, I can consider that. :)

Here are my options so far:

1: FH - Tenergy 05, BH - Tenergy 64 (most expensive)
2: FH - Tenergy 05, BH - Calibra LT Spin
3: FH - Tenergy 25, BH - Calibra LT Spin
4: FH - Bluefire JP 01, BH - Calibra LT Spin (moderate)
5: FH - Bluefire JP 01, BH - Vega Japan
6: FH - Bluefire JP 01, BH - Baracuda
7: FH - Vega Japan both sides (least expensive)

If you could also recommend other rubbers, that would be great. :)
Thanks!

Harvey

P.S. I can get Tenergy 25 at a very good price. In fact it is the cheapest Tenergy from my seller. It is the same price with the Bluefire JP 01. I guess because nobody plays with Ten25 so it is almost always on sale? And most of the reviews I've read say Tenergy durability is really good than ESN rubbers and others.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Did you get the blade yet? I like the Clipper Classic a hair better than the Clipper CR. No WRB is a good idea. But Classic and CR are both really good choices.

I would put

FH Tenergy 05 and
BH Tenergy 05 FX

I love that combination on that blade.

This one would also be great:

FH Xiom Omega V Pro
BH Xiom Omega V Europe

But I love Tenergy on that blade.

Reactions: harveyaquino
This user has no status.
wow, do you ppl really need this kind of fast blade? I mean if your USA TTR isnt at least 2300+ I would never consider myself of playing this beast, Xu Xin Worlds No. 1 is playing with a 5ply Intensity, seems like this baby is fast enough for everybody to get No. 1 in the world and I guess XX is better than the ppl here...

but anyway Clipper series is very hard, so if you want something very spinny go for a Donic Baracuda, which is a light version of the T05/T05fx. An other choice on the forehand would be T05 yes, or maybe Xiom Vega Pro if youre style is more "power driving" than "short arm looping". Upgrade to the Vega Pro would be Evo MX-P which is the Pro with a little tuning and bounce. Dont touch the T25(fx) series unless you need a rubber for blocking and pushing...

Well and if you want something really good on the forehand old good Hurricane 3 (Neo) with boosting on the forehand, works really good, even the commercials one, they just need MORE tuning than the provincial and national versions. But boosting is expensive and you have to take care of your rubbers, not everybodys favorite.

Oh yeah and T64 obviously too as a light Vega Pro, but would be to soft on the forehand.

No Stiga rubbers they are not that good, Bluefire is to bouncy and not enough spin compared to Tenergys and XVP so Tenergys or Vega Pro is my choice or as T05 replacement the Donic Baracuda!

Reactions: harveyaquino
This user has no status.
wow, do you ppl really need this kind of fast blade? I mean if your USA TTR isnt at least 2300+ I would never consider myself of playing this beast, Xu Xin Worlds No. 1 is playing with a 5ply Intensity, seems like this baby is fast enough for everybody to get No. 1 in the world and I guess XX is better than the ppl here...

but anyway Clipper series is very hard, so if you want something very spinny go for a Donic Baracuda, which is a light version of the T05/T05fx. An other choice on the forehand would be T05 yes, or maybe Xiom Vega Pro if youre style is more "power driving" than "short arm looping". Upgrade to the Vega Pro would be Evo MX-P which is the Pro with a little tuning and bounce. Dont touch the T25(fx) series unless you need a rubber for blocking and pushing...

Well and if you want something really good on the forehand old good Hurricane 3 (Neo) with boosting on the forehand, works really good, even the commercials one, they just need MORE tuning than the provincial and national versions. But boosting is expensive and you have to take care of your rubbers, not everybodys favorite.

Oh yeah and T64 obviously too as a light Vega Pro, but would be to soft on the forehand.

No Stiga rubbers they are not that good, Bluefire is to bouncy and not enough spin compared to Tenergys and XVP so Tenergys or Vega Pro is my choice or as T05 replacement the Donic Baracuda!

Well my argument here is that I need a long term investment for the blade. So coming from a composite, Viscaria, the clipper is the best bet for speed and power with control. Also cheaper. :)

The reason is that the added speed will help my game. I can train, and I train but not everyone has the time and quality of training that professional players have, so amateur players tend to have faster setups to help them give an equipment edge. This is to help them finish the point early. Why? Because unlike professional players that have consistency and can sustain incredible counter looping rallies, amateur players just need equipment that can help them better receive, better opening loops and drives, and a sufficient finishing power early on the point.

Of course, play style and individual strengths play very important roles. Also, your argument that amateur players need control blades also makes sense because we lack control so a blade that will give us better control is very good.

I think both of our arguments are true and that makes them both sides of a coin. But I guess table tennis is more than that, some players just want to end a point by power and speed, while some by placement and control, and some just want to watch the world burn. lol

But I appreciate your rubber recommendations. Yes Baracuda is a very good spin rubber I've tried it before but I find the speed lacking. I need a rubber with a great spin and a little catapult compared to Baracuda. I will just stick to euro and jap rubbers, so no Chinese rubbers for now. :)

Thanks!

This user has no status.
Did you get the blade yet? I like the Clipper Classic a hair better than the Clipper CR. No WRB is a good idea. But Classic and CR are both really good choices.

I would put

FH Tenergy 05 and
BH Tenergy 05 FX

I love that combination on that blade.

This one would also be great:

FH Xiom Omega V Pro
BH Xiom Omega V Europe

But I love Tenergy on that blade.

Going to purchase next week. :) can you provide a little cheaper rubber options? Hehe

Thanks!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Going to purchase next week. :) can you provide a little cheaper rubber options? Hehe

Thanks!

Hahaha. I am spoiled. I like the good stuff. :) No, but Tenergy really seems to bring out what makes a Clipper a great blade.

This user has no status.
The Rakza 7 is a good rubber but too bouncy imo. Its gonna be to fast in passive shots with the clipper, Vega Pro or T05 should be the better choice here. The Fastarc series is a good one but still simple ESN rubbers, you can try the C-1 if you want on the backhand but I think its not going to be something special.
Like I said, if you want T05 both sides go for T05 forehand and Baracuda backhand, if you consider more power driving than looping go for forehand Vega Pro and backhand T64.

Thats a good combination I think and not thaaaat expensive.

Ah besides my Rosewood XO for example is a really really fast blade too but still 5ply and with better touch than the Clipper series. Furthermore it should be spinnier too. I see your points but trust me it sucks having a blade which is so fast you gotta practise every day, and to invest in a Rosewood shouldnt be wrong neither.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
How about Spinart? I got a huge discount from one of the seller on Spinart. It is slightly higher than Baracuda's price! :)

I personally don't really like SpinArt. Everybody is different. So you might.

I personally feel that the Clipper is about the same speed as the Rosewood XO. Sometimes a little slower. Sometimes a little faster since Stiga blades have that thing where each one is a little different because they are wood.

Rosewood XO is much lighter. Which is good, especially since you don't lose power. That means the reset is faster. But, I don't like the NCT which makes the top ply feel a little harder than I like. Clipper feels crisp and solid but the top ply is not hard so you have a lot of touch. I actually like a Clipper a little better than a Rosewood or a Rosewood XO. But, again, everyone is different. There are positives and negatives to either blade. But I don't really feel like the speed is very different between them.

What I said above has something to do with part of why I like the Clipper Classic better than the Clipper CR. The CR is a process that makes the top ply a little harder. That makes the blade faster but you sacrifice a little dwell time and Spin. The Clipper Classic is not too fast.

This user has no status.
I feel that the best combination for me is T05 FH and Baracuda BH. I've used baracuda, both FH and BH. Though it lacks catapult, it makes up with monstrous spin. So I guess BH-wise it's okay. Also, it's the cheapest rubber on my list and one of the most durable rubbers I've used.

FH department is the problem. T05 is good but it is really expensive from the seller.
BTW,
>Seller A has the Clipper but T05 from him is very expensive, all the other rubbers are well priced AND I can get free gluing and cutting if I purchase a complete setup, plus I only pay one shipping fee.
>Seller B has no Clipper but T05 from him is very well priced, all other rubbers are well priced.

Well, I guess for performance, those rubbers you guys mentioned are good, it's just that I feel I need a financial advisor for this.lol

Ofcourse, I want to have the best price-to-performance setup. Not that expensive, not that cheap, good performance. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I personally don't really like SpinArt. Everybody is different. So you might.

I personally feel that the Clipper is about the same speed as the Rosewood XO. Sometimes a little slower. Sometimes a little faster since Stiga blades have that thing where each one is a little different because they are wood.

Rosewood XO is much lighter. Which is good, especially since you don't lose power. That means the reset is faster. But, I don't like the NCT which makes the top ply feel a little harder than I like. Clipper feels crisp and solid but the top ply is not hard so you have a lot of touch. I actually like a Clipper a little better than a Rosewood or a Rosewood XO. But, again, everyone is different. There are positives and negatives to either blade. But I don't really feel like the speed is very different between them.

What I said above has something to do with part of why I like the Clipper Classic better than the Clipper CR. The CR is a process that makes the top ply a little harder. That makes the blade faster but you sacrifice a little dwell time and Spin. The Clipper Classic is not too fast.

One more piece of information. Any of these blades: Clipper, Clipper CR, Rosewood V NCT or Rosewood XO should be slower than the Viscaria and have more feel. So, regardless of which one of those is used, they will, at first feel a bit slow after a Viscaria.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I feel that the best combination for me is T05 FH and Baracuda BH. I've used baracuda, both FH and BH. Though it lacks catapult, it makes up with monstrous spin. So I guess BH-wise it's okay. Also, it's the cheapest rubber on my list and one of the most durable rubbers I've used.

FH department is the problem. T05 is good but it is really expensive from the seller.
BTW,
>Seller A has the Clipper but T05 from him is very expensive, all the other rubbers are well priced AND I can get free gluing and cutting if I purchase a complete setup, plus I only pay one shipping fee.
>Seller B has no Clipper but T05 from him is very well priced, all other rubbers are well priced.

Well, I guess for performance, those rubbers you guys mentioned are good, it's just that I feel I need a financial advisor for this.lol

Ofcourse, I want to have the best price-to-performance setup. Not that expensive, not that cheap, good performance. :)

Why do you have to buy everything from the same seller? Get the cheaper price on the Clipper from one seller and the cheaper price on the rubber from a different seller.

This user has no status.
Why do you have to buy everything from the same seller? Get the cheaper price on the Clipper from one seller and the cheaper price on the rubber from a different seller.

I don't have water base glue. So if the seller can glue the paddle, I no longer need to worry about that. Second, if I buy from different seller, the shipping fee doubles or even triples if all were from 3 diff sellers. Still, if I buy from different sellers it is a bit cheaper by very very small amount compared to buying all from the same seller.. Hmmm, I need to sort things out I guess. Sorry for confusing you guys. hehe

Anyway, regarding JP 01, have you tried that rubber with the Clipper? ButtStallion says it will become too bouncy, but I don't now if he personally tried it on a Clipper CR or even a classic.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It kinda makes sense to get everything from the same place to save on shipping, if that saves money over buying from separate places.

Many non-elite players have used far "worse" blades than a Clipper with some success, but I see where BS is coming from with his point of unless you are fringe elite amature, you will not the most of your blade - the fundamentals are not there yet. Many problems non-elite players have are mostly NOT problems with their equipment being "wrong" they are simply a matter of under-developed fundamentals.

My Clipper clone bat plays well enough with Aurus and 999, both rubbers that are pretty consistent on just about every blade and full of control. Anything in the control range that you like will make both you and the pundits happy.

This user has no status.
yes sounds right to me, too. The blade should be always in a light OFF version, not full OFF or OFF+. I know an ex USA player with an USA rating of around 2000 and he couldnt even get my serves properly, dont even mention he didnt get over 5 points in a single set against me. He was playing Boll ALC with both sides T05, I was playing these days (it was probably 2 years ago or even longer) still a Stiga OFF Classic with Xiom Vega Pro and the Narucross GS Hard. His blade was soooo much faster than mine but still he couldnt even handle it, all of his blocks came just to long. Tabletennis has a lot to do with "feeling", thats the reason Waldner was soooooooo successful. And I dont think the most of the people here have the feeling unless they are really getting in the upper classes of leagues. And feeling is a matter of the racket, Im very sure about that. I dont have any feeling with an ALC, yes I could play it but never as good as a simple Rosewood, OFF Classic, YEO or anything else.

So if you want to invest in a blade, get yourself a 5ply all wood blade with 2 fast rubbers and youre gonna be a beast. Best example is Joo Sey Huyk here, defense blade and look at the topspins, incredible!

My personal formula I would recommend anybody: Decent blade and fast rubbers. If you want it faster, get faster rubbers. If the fastest rubbers arent fast enough, boost them. But leave your blade OFF- or at least 5ply. The rubbers can be as fast as they can get, but the blade is the soul, you really need a blade which is controllable and a the Clipper CR is definitely faster than the Rosewood with less control. About the normal Clipper, I dont know. But if you dont want to spend over 100USD for a Rosewood, STIGA INFINITY VPS V.

best regards and no offense guys, thats really personal for me haha :D

This user has no status.
It kinda makes sense to get everything from the same place to save on shipping, if that saves money over buying from separate places.

Many non-elite players have used far "worse" blades than a Clipper with some success, but I see where BS is coming from with his point of unless you are fringe elite amature, you will not the most of your blade - the fundamentals are not there yet. Many problems non-elite players have are mostly NOT problems with their equipment being "wrong" they are simply a matter of under-developed fundamentals.

My Clipper clone bat plays well enough with Aurus and 999, both rubbers that are pretty consistent on just about every blade and full of control. Anything in the control range that you like will make both you and the pundits happy.

Well I haven't said my previous setup or blade was "wrong" I just couldn't feel the ball well with the Viscaria. That is why I will go to allwood, Clipper, which is actually slower than what I've used as confirmed by many people.

I get your point though. And thanks for the advice. :)