Re-Building the BEAST

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You may not have been playing well in Boston but in NYC you were in beast mode and you were mostly clowning around till Robert Chen started giving you those short junk balls that you kept doing FH over the table loops or side of the table loops on some. Hehe. He figured out pretty fast to avoid your BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yeah, Carl, he figured to take his chances on FH, and get a few errors he was looking for, and a lot more smashed or spinny loop balls for points than he bargained for. He isn't dumb, he figured out why I am not his level soon enough, he also learned that looping fast right at me is a losing prospect that will only give him more exercise trying to chase down the fast block away from him. He still got enough winners or forced errors to pull it out... after many deuce points in the 5th deciding set haha.

Usually, the extreme short ball near the net is a good ball to give me (to get an error from me) but that night I mysteriously hit many of those in. I must have been taking Kim Jeung Hoon's advice and waiting a little longer for ball to come into the zone.

What is even more mysterious is just the night prior at Boston TTC I lost EVERY match I played during 6 hours and was simply off time. I think the lighting there has something to do with it as well as plastic ball timing, but I never in my life had such a night in club play ever. Even when I played what felt like 1-2 levels better than my level, I lost where I had good chance to win. I waz wore out that night and there was major traffic on freeway to NYC (that is why I was 1/2 hr late) and I had to drive 5+ road hours to get there and I still played like I was fresh. Hmmm.

That mod helps me play better at the style I like, which is really mixed, both defensive and offensive.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am processing a decision to slap on my last new sheet of Evo MX-P on my modified Kanaph, or go with the tried and true BEAST for my Jan 10 tourney.

http://www.mvttc.net/2015winter/players/

I am ranked #2 on both cash paying evenets, so I had better well open up one of these at the tourney after the O40 part is done...

1-whp1.jpg

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am processing a decision to slap on my last new sheet of Evo MX-P on my modified Kanaph, or go with the tried and true BEAST for my Jan 10 tourney.

http://www.mvttc.net/2015winter/players/

I am ranked #2 on both cash paying evenets, so I had better well open up one of these at the tourney after the O40 part is done...

attachment.php

Tough decision which blade to go with. You could always try the first match with the Kanaph and see if it can do justice, or switch to the beast in the next match. As long as you are using a blade that you can dominate with by the time you play the guys who are ranked higher than you.

But opening that can of whoopass is a must. As long as your opponents want to jump off that bridge by the time you get to the later rounds, then it is all good regardless of which beast you end up harnessing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Good point Carl, but this is Utica, NY and the nearest bridge large enough for a jump is of considerable distance. Players here are too lazy to drive hours just to jump off a bridge. There isn't enough excitement in it for them to justify the long drive and all those tolls.

I think I will slap on a new FH rubber, heck, who knows, maybe my nexy stock will hit my partner in time for him to mail me a new jersey and I can try out the new Nexy rubber for the poly ball era - Demian II on BH wing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good point Carl, but this is Utica, NY and the nearest bridge large enough for a jump is of considerable distance. Players here are too lazy to drive hours just to jump off a bridge. There isn't enough excitement in it for them to justify the long drive and all those tolls.

I think I will slap on a new FH rubber, heck, who knows, maybe my nexy stock will hit my partner in time for him to mail me a new jersey and I can try out the new Nexy rubber for the poly ball era - Demian II on BH wing.

Well, after you take some scalps, bang some head and win some prize money, then you can get them to drive to Brooklyn where we have a few nice bridges, or we can just take them to one of the clubs in Brooklyn, Manhattan or Queens to play some more table tennis and cause some trouble.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl, you are showing moar indicators of being a major troublemaker as time goes by. I think it should be like that as we get older.

Since I get a chance to pimp up Nexy gear at this tourney, I hope my partner in FL gets the big shipment and can get me a new uniform and some blades/rubbers to bring to the tourney. You never know when a US EJ tourney player needs to suddenly buy a 5th backup bat or a 10th spare rubber.

Serious though, the new Nexy jerseys are great. I think I will be wearing a few versions of official Korea Foreign, One TTD black logo jersey, and hopefully, the new Nexy Contrast Jersey.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think I am going to print a 8.5x11 Letter sized graphic cut it to the size of a large spaghetti sauce can, glue it to the can, tuck it in my TT bag, and break it out to put on the table right before one of the matches and ask a bystander if he can open this can for me.

I just discovered I have one sheet of FX-P so I think it will be fresh FX-P and XP 2008 on the Kanaph and go to battle.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think I am going to print a 8.5x11 Letter sized graphic cut it to the size of a large spaghetti sauce can, glue it to the can, tuck it in my TT bag, and break it out to put on the table right before one of the matches and ask a bystander if he can open this can for me.

I just discovered I have one sheet of FX-P so I think it will be fresh FX-P and XP 2008 on the Kanaph and go to battle.

That will be so funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Der_Echte

fantastic blade mod!

i just can't believe that stiga hollows out the blades handle in the lower area... i was talking to carl and i am sure they are doing to just to say that such and such blade is improved and it only weighs 85 grams !

any ways i read this whole thread and i totally agree with your thought process on - better blade performance = heavier blade set ups.

the logic is simple, i have practiced with many solid 2200 level loopers in my recent years and came to this conclusion. They hit fast heavy loops that if i blocked perfectly with my lighter set up, then i can put the ball back on the table, but if i dont hit that sweet spot from the 2200 level loopers , then their fast spinny balls controls my light blade set up. but as i discovered as my skill level went up, i needed a much heavier weighted blade to handle this higher level game.

the heavier blade is much more stable and i don't have to hit the sweet spot, the weight of the blade does the work for you.. also hitting shots with the heavier set is easier. it too has the more stable performance.

force = mass times acceleration - that mass coming from your blade being if it is too light, will hinder your output in the force, but if you can play with the heavier setup without arm / wrist issues, then by all means your force output will be better with higher mass.

your right about the pros on their blade selections, they tend to play with heavier set ups. and the reason why is probably is
force = mass times acceleration.

i have found out that my fav weight for a flared shake handle type blade is around 95 grams to about 98 grams. and the total set up with rubber should be around 194 - 198 grams

with the old type ball i liked 194 grams with my new poly ball set up = 198 grams (clipper wood with palio thors on the backhand and spinart on the FH, with lead tape on the sides of the blade at 3 and 9 oclock to get the set up to 198.

i might try your handle mod on one of my spare clippers and get that blade to at least 100 grams .

like you both have said on the first page of this thread , if the weight is in the handle it doesnt much matter !

BTW
Der_Echte how did you do in your tournaments?

phamster

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
I'm interested in this mod, especially coming off a wrist injury. I notice the head heavy-ness of my blade does put strain on the wrist in a whipping sort of action. I figure this is what the whole head-heavy marketing scheme was about--making it so that you make spinnier shots with a head heavy blade causing a natural flick of the wrist in the loop/loop-drive game?

Well anyway, what is everyone's thoughts on removing the handle this way:

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Phamster, It was in another thread, but I made my FIRST EVER appearance in an Open FINAL in a US Sanctioned tourney... EVER (Using modifird Kanaph).

Aerial was there watching final too, I was clowing around to stay loose, I wasn't near the level of my opponent, I realized my chances of winning were very slim to none. Since there were a number of people watching, I tried to make it entertaining and have some fun myself.

Since then, I have dropped 3 levels, my last two tourneys I have lost almost 200 ratings points.

The long winter where we would get 3 ft of snow and -30C or worse temps daily kept me inside... and I gained fat like a BEAR. Up to yesterday, I would say I was 1600 level tops. I have been carrying a grade two tear of a tendon on my upper arm that I hit with, likely a rotator cuff tendon, nearly completely ripped of, was pretty painful the first two months I injured it, likely clearing snow using extended arms or ripping the cord starting motors to clear snow.

I am now in Boston to see my daughter and played 8 hrs at Boston TTC and had my best night playing there I can remember, For the first time, I was able to make an explosive BH shot, my injury really limited to kind of BH I could make, restricted to solid impact short stroke counter shots. I feel like I am back to mid 1700s level already after just two days hitting with a 1200-1300 level player at camp a couple times and the long day at Boston TTC. I am so happy I can now use my normal backhand vs underspin.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Aerial, very difficult to tell exactly what part of the wrist is injured, there are three different planes of rotation and all the stuff used to make a grip.

I would wager that is affecting your ability to use the 15-20 degree pivot you use on FH shots with wrist snap and over the table BH wrist snap going forward. Prolly also making it tough to have a firm grip.

Tendon injuries heal VERY slowly.

What you do is improve your situation so it can heal a little quicker.

1) Avoid tweaking it.

2) Use a far infrared heat device to stimulate increased blood flow. Such a 12V device costs around $100 USD on Amazon and is worth every cent. Heating the surface like a water bottle wont cut it, you need heat a little deeper. You gotta alternate the times, but do it a lot the first couple weeks. You can also oil it up and massage it, that can get better blood flow. Some knowledgeable people with acupuncture can do something for you too. Some Asians swear by certain stones heated and applied to your injury site, give that a try if you got that stuff around.

The key is you need increased blood flow to bring more healing stuff to the injury site. Tendons do not get a lot of blood in the first place (compared to muscles) so this is real critical in speeding up your healing.

3) When your injury has healed enough to put some kind of load on it without tweaking it or re-injuring it, you need to exercise it to before the limit. If you do not do this, you lose fitness in all the supporting and surrounding areas and you will get re-injured easier later.

4) Do strengthening exercises, get the set of light weights for it. I got a box of 2 each 2, 3, and 5 lb Neoprene weights for $25ish delivered. Those are the weights you will need to start out doing high reps light weight once body weight reistence is not enough.

It can take some time to get back your full range of motion (if the injury affected that). Tendon injuries heal notoriously slowly. Even if your injury site feels great, continue strengthening, you will need it, trust me.

Carl can really break this down for you since he has to deeply understand all the principles and concepts of how the body works in his profession and prolly have a few decades of practical experience for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Der Echte

about the finals in the US national event.. that is really great !

it is cool your in Boston right now.. i love that town/area.. brings me back to really fond memories..

i taught tennis in my youth at Milton Academy and Curry College and all those late nights on harvard campus eating pizza at pinocchio's pizza

that boston has the best italian food i swear..

enjoy your visit get back to good health and get your backhand attack going again

phamster