2024 WTT Champions Incheon 03.27-03.31 Korea

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Linda Bergstrom beat Orawan Paranang. I don't have good ELO numbers so if someone thinks I am wrong, they can share, but this I suspect is the kind of example of WTT rankings outperforming the ELO rankings that people tend to ignore when it happens.
I seriously doubt Paranang has a higher ELO. Bergstrom has beaten Szocs and YJN earlier this year, losing only to Hayata 2:3. I also don't recall any recent bad losses.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I seriously doubt Paranang has a higher ELO. Bergstrom has beaten Szocs and YJN earlier this year, losing only to Hayata 2:3. I also don't recall any recent bad losses.
Yeah but an ELO is not only about the year or recent losses. Paranang is bronze medallist at the University games. But I did miss that Bergstrom despite losing to such players as Gaponova and Kallberg also recently had wins over Szocs and YJN.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yeah but an ELO is not only about the year or recent losses. Paranang is bronze medallist at the University games. But I did miss that Bergstrom despite losing to such players as Gaponova and Kallberg also recently had wins over Szocs and YJN.
ELO works very much like the USATT ratings, the recency effect is built in since the amount the ratings change after a match depends on your current rating. Paranang with recent losses to e.g. Bajor would tank her ratings quite a bit, and she has no major wins to make up for it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
ELO works very much like the USATT ratings, the recency effect is built in since the amount the ratings change after a match depends on your current rating. Paranang with recent losses to e.g. Bajor would tank her ratings quite a bit, and she has no major wins to make up for it.
Bajor is a better player than many of the players that Bergstrom lost to at the WTTTC in Busan. In any case, next time, I will use an example with actual numbers, I accept this is not a good one.