Dignics 05 vs Xiom Vega X

This user has no status.
Hi all been looking at cheaper alternatives to replace my Dignics 05 on the backhand as i no longer have the budget to spend that high on rubbers. I stumbled upon the vega x and from the reviews it looks like a very good rubber, but i am curious to know its comparison to D05 and how much of a downgrade it is. For reference I have a good backhand flick and topspin and am okay at blocking

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
I've tried both rubbers and honestly Vega X doesn't match with the quality of Dignics 05. Though Vega X fits the category of a good Bh rubber to have in my opinion but the feeling and the top end quality of your shots won't be on par. To put it on a number scale id say Vega X would be about a 7.5 if Dignics 05 is a 10...heres a few points that stand out to me the most. "Fyi, I am currently using dig05 as my bh rubber have tried Vega a decent amount of time in the past."

1. You don't get that springy feeling you get with your "signature" Butterfly sponge.
2. Sponge of the Vega X feels more stiff, you don't get as much of that ball soaking into your racket.

Here's a few rubber i would recommend over the Vega X, idk if you could get these rubber for cheap cuz price do vary depending on your region and source.
- I just tried the new Glayzer rubber today and feeling wise closer to Dignics 05 than Vega X. I think Vega X top sheet might feel more tacky if I rmb correctly.
- Victas V15 DE or V20 might be slightly more expensive but top end quality is closer to dignics 05 than Vega X for sure.
- Nittaku Fastarc G1, very popular rubber and I think you really cannot go wrong. (Cheapest option from the region im in)

...Evolution MXS - this rubber goes down the line of a european style rubber more but is a go to rubber option imo.

Reactions: JJ Ng and joshmak10
This user has no status.
I've tried both rubbers and honestly Vega X doesn't match with the quality of Dignics 05. Though Vega X fits the category of a good Bh rubber to have in my opinion but the feeling and the top end quality of your shots won't be on par. To put it on a number scale id say Vega X would be about a 7.5 if Dignics 05 is a 10...heres a few points that stand out to me the most. "Fyi, I am currently using dig05 as my bh rubber have tried Vega a decent amount of time in the past."

1. You don't get that springy feeling you get with your "signature" Butterfly sponge.
2. Sponge of the Vega X feels more stiff, you don't get as much of that ball soaking into your racket.

Here's a few rubber i would recommend over the Vega X, idk if you could get these rubber for cheap cuz price do vary depending on your region and source.
- I just tried the new Glayzer rubber today and feeling wise closer to Dignics 05 than Vega X. I think Vega X top sheet might feel more tacky if I rmb correctly.
- Victas V15 DE or V20 might be slightly more expensive but top end quality is closer to dignics 05 than Vega X for sure.
- Nittaku Fastarc G1, very popular rubber and I think you really cannot go wrong. (Cheapest option from the region im in)

...Evolution MXS - this rubber goes down the line of a european style rubber more but is a go to rubber option imo.
Thanks for the rubber recommendation. Mainly the reason i an interested in vega x was because i need some more safety in my shots, a lot of times for my BH the ball flies straight off quick with D05

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Thanks for the rubber recommendation. Mainly the reason i an interested in vega x was because i need some more safety in my shots, a lot of times for my BH the ball flies straight off quick with D05
If you want safety in your shot maybe go for something with a softer sponge? and since you are already looking at XIOM, maybe their Omega vii series will do you right. Though keep in mind that though the topsheet is grippy and open up against backspin is great imo, the topsheet is rather Grippy and not Tacky. if so id recommend the Pro series as I find the Euro a bit too soft. also price might not be that much cheaper.

Reactions: joshmak10
This user has no status.
If you want safety in your shot maybe go for something with a softer sponge? and since you are already looking at XIOM, maybe their Omega vii series will do you right. Though keep in mind that though the topsheet is grippy and open up against backspin is great imo, the topsheet is rather Grippy and not Tacky. if so id recommend the Pro series as I find the Euro a bit too soft. also price might not be that much cheaper.
will check these out for sure

says Feel the ball first.
says Feel the ball first.
Oct 2022
I find giahao considerations totally spot on. I suggest omega 7 pro 2.0mm on bh, or eventually the donic z2 1.9mm (2.1mm if you have a good hand), the rubber i'm currently using on my backhand (blade 36.5 alxi)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
I don't think it's a big downgrade. I would be happy to use either.

I think its a bit less bouncy, but not game-changing.

If you want a cheap rubber that can keep up the speed with D05, try Palio AK47 Red.

I know some people wont agree with me but I found AK47 red very slow and no grippy

Reactions: darkmoor1

All these serious points you made, and then you recommend Fastarc G-1 as a better option than Vega X. Are. You. Kidding. Me.

Choosing Vega X is no-brainer here. For a budget price, you get a product is very close to top line rubbers. No, it's not a match for sheer speed and extreme spin whenever you are capable to unlock that with D05 on backhand, but it's nor.miles away from that and it's eaier to activate, easier to spin, easier to control (much easier in more passive game aspects)

Reactions: latej and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
All these serious points you made, and then you recommend Fastarc G-1 as a better option than Vega X. Are. You. Kidding. Me.

Choosing Vega X is no-brainer here. For a budget price, you get a product is very close to top line rubbers. No, it's not a match for sheer speed and extreme spin whenever you are capable to unlock that with D05 on backhand, but it's nor.miles away from that and it's eaier to activate, easier to spin, easier to control (much easier in more passive game aspects)
Definitely I don't see a huge difference between Vega X and G1. But, the price is pretty close as well, so you're not saving too much by going for Vega either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Ok I have never played with Dignics 05. Is Dignics 05 faster than Tenergy 05 or is it the other way around? Or Tenergy 05 is faster at the lower end of power spectrum but once you activate the sponge with a lot of power, Dignics 05 is faster than Tenergy 05.

My two cents:

1) I doubt you can find an exact replacement for Dignics 05 (or Tenergy 05 for that matter). But if price is really important to you, go to Dandoy sport and click on the weekly specials. Xiom Vega X is being sold for $26.31 without having you buying $300 or $350 of products to get 30% bulk discount. Literally at $26.31, I would just buy it and try.

There is also Rasanter R47 for $37.12. I got that sheet. It played ok. Too hard for me. Just a reference I like my backhand soft like Razka 7 soft and C-1 soft.

Then you have Stiga Mantra Pro H at $35.76. Obviously I am a sucker. I ordered Xiom Vega X, Rakza 7 soft, Rasanter R47 (green) and Stiga Mantra Pro H. I still have not opened the package for Stiga Mantra Pro H. I just heard that the Mantra series is pretty good and people feel that you get pretty good value with Mantra for the price that Stiga charges.

I think if money is a concern, then seriously, Xiom Vega X for $26 and change is a steal. You might want to get a couple more people to chip in at the club to order about $100 or so of goods so you get free shipping. Hey maybe someone does want a green sheet of Rasanter R47 for $37 and change (I did!!! I did not have a green rubber before in my life!). Before you know, reaching $100 to get free shipping is a piece of cake.

Some other specials there that are also interesting include MX-P, MX-D, Bluestorm Z1 Turbo. I am only mentioning harder rubber since you like Dignics 05.

Trust me. Dandoy does not do "weekly" specials. Those specials have been on there for months so I am getting bored. But since I have not even opened my Mantra pro H, I have to resist buying other specials there.

2) I have played with G-1 for many years. It is a great rubber. But it won't be catapulty enough for you. You can cross that off your list. G-1 is great. It is the best selling rubber on TT11 for a reason and they love G-1 in Japan. But not for your need.

3) As for Glayzer, I think according to the online review, you might get disappointed. But also according to the online review, regular Glayzer is a toned down version of Dignics 05. However at $55 a sheet, I would not bother with Glayzer. Again you are cost conscious so when we give you advice, we have to keep that in mind. For $55 a sheet, I will buy two Xiom Vega X and still have money left to buy a cone of ice cream....

4) MX-S. I had a sheet. It played ok. I don't like hard rubber on my backhand side so maybe I did not appreciate it as I should have. MX-P has been known to be a very good T05 replacement so if you like Butterfly products, I don't think you go wrong with MX-D or MX-P (I am leaning toward MX-D since that one is newer and MX-P's top sheet seemed to wear out pretty fast, according to some forum members). And MX-D and MX-P are on Dandoy's "weekly" specials. The revolutions series are very catapulty. I think definitely they are more catapulty than G-1/C-1 and Xiom Vega X/Xiom Vega Europe. I have played with MX-P, EL-S, FX-P and MX-S before. In general I don't comment on stuff I have not personally tried. But MX-D is $35 and change, and MX-P is $33 and change on Dandoy. I don't know. Xiom Vega X is literally $26 and change. You know what I mean...It is up to you.

I am just here to alert you of the deals available out there since price is very important to you.

Finally, if you are willing to go max sponge on Xiom Vega X, MX-D, Rasanter R47 or Rasanter R53, etc. those rubbers are pretty fast! I don't think you can go wrong.

Also I read your post that you mentioned that Dignics 05 might be too springy and you hit some balls off the end of the table so why pay up for Dignics 05 when you can get all these toned down version for $26 to $35?

I have played with T05fx, T64fx and T80fx before. I still own those rubbers on my slower carbon blades. I have hit with my friends' Glayzer and Dignics 05 here and there. Let me just say I am very happy with G-1 (on wood blade), Rakza 7 soft (on carbon blade) and C-1 (on carbon blade). I still have those sheets of EL-S and FX-P on some back up blades that I fool around here and there. I really have no desire to buy another sheet of Butterfly Tenergy or Dignics or Glayzer rubber. If I want to get a fix, I will play with my friend's Dignics and Glayzer (and it is not that I cannot afford it, I just don't see how Butterfly fits in with my playing style and if I go EJ on Butterfly product, I will go broke very soon).

To sum it up, if catapult is what you want and you want a bit toned down than Dignics 05, then go with the revolution series. I would pick MX-D for you (I like soft rubber so I am waiting to get a sheet of FX-D at some point for myself).

If you want a good enough rubber with definitive catapult effect (but not too much) at rock bottom price, you cannot go wrong with Xiom Vega X at $26 and change.

I have an AK47 blue (not red) that I have not yet installed. I really think if you like catapulty ESN rubber or Butterfly rubber, going Chinese would disappoint you.

I am going to shut up now.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
from what i have read so far… i realize there are so much crap on the internet
- some people talk about the rubber like an expert but then have never played with it
- a majority part of table tennis is hand feeling and people have different feelings - i suggest you try it yourself
- for the OP: are you lefthanded, usually wear headband and have a serious serve posture?

Reactions: darkmoor1
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I don't comment on stuff I have never played before. I have a couple friends at the club with Butterfly carbon blades with Dignics 05, Dignics 09c and Glayzer on them. I have borrowed their blades and fool around a bit. They do not make that much impression on me. If I want to go Dignics 09c, I would not because I am very very satisfied with Hurricane on my forehand. No way I am cheating on my Hurricane by paying up for Dignics 09c.

I personally own T05fx, T64fx and T80fx so I know how soft Tenergy series feel. And I can tell you, I will pick Rakza 7 soft, Rakza X soft and C-1 over any of those Tenergy fx any time of the day. It is just that I bought them. I barely play with those Tenergy fx rubbers but I keep them around still. They are all at least 3 years old so I am not going to throw them away because they are so lightly used.

As a result of me not commenting on stuff I have not played with, once the OP asked about Xiom Ice Cream AZX and Xiom AJH TMXi, I have kept my mouth shut. I don't know anything about Xiom blades.

Xiom Vega X and Xiom Vega Europe. yes I own them and they are sitting on my blades (Xiom Vega X is on a Yinhe carbon blade and Xiom Vega Europe is on my Nittaku Acoustic carbon blade).

Some people say Xiom Vega Pro is better than Xiom Vega X so I will try to get my hands on a sheet of Xiom Vega Pro when I have time. Otherwise I am pretty happy about the Xiom Vega series. Am I tempted to pay up and try Xiom Omega VII series. No, not one bit. I am happy with what I have got.

Regardless, the OP is asking about Xiom Vega X and it is at rock bottom price on Dandoy sport. $26 and change is a steal for a catapulty ESN rubber nowadays......

Reactions: M.Hoang and Fedex78