Advice for my first 'real' bat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Have been playing for 6 months and wanted to replace my cheap £7 premade bat.

I'm a shakehand all round (mainly attacker) and was wondering what type of blade/rubbers to buy.
My backhand is fast but forehand is slower/still needs work.
Don't chop or counter much (want to learn to counter better soon)

My budget is only £30 for everything, it's just a hobby - I'll only be playing throughout university.

Thoughts on the Galaxy N-9 with 2x CJ8000 42-44? Will it be too hard to play with if I'm still learning (from what I see its for very very fast players?)

Welcome to all suggestions :D

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
N-9 is a good blade, (My blade) and you can't go wrong with it, I know because it's the only blade I've used for any length of time. Anyway, my first setup had a Galaxy Mercury 2 in 36 degrees, and a 9000d in 35. It worked pretty well and I couldn't really miss from the forehand (Looping backspin is so easy even compared to an MX-P), the 9000d is slow, but it will do for a beginner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
blade doesn't really matter, all blades are the same thing.
for rubbers try to buy good rubbers like donic bluefire.
you can even use tenergy.

I'd stay away from chinese rubbers because later you need to modify technique when you move to euro tensors/tenergy, which is what most players do in the end.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Thanks for the advice everyone, which of these would you recommend?

Blade: £9 N-9 OR £12 Earth E-3 OR £14 Mercury Y-15 OR £15 Palio R57 OR £15.1 T-11+

BH: £8.2 729 729-5 OR £10 Sanwei T88

FH: £10 729 729-08 OR £5 729 729 Higher OR £7 Tuttle Beijing 2 OR £? NEO Hurricane 3 (maybe I can get this, maybe not)

Not too sure on the blade (i'd like <=86g), if there is something else please recommend items from this store: stores.ebay.co.uk/CHINA-TnhaSHOP

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks for the advice everyone, which of these would you recommend?

Blade: £9 N-9 OR £12 Earth E-3 OR £14 Mercury Y-15 OR £15 Palio R57 OR £15.1 T-11+

BH: £8.2 729 729-5 OR £10 Sanwei T88

FH: £10 729 729-08 OR £5 729 729 Higher OR £7 Tuttle Beijing 2 OR £? NEO Hurricane 3 (maybe I can get this, maybe not)

Not too sure on the blade (i'd like <=86g), if there is something else please recommend items from this store: stores.ebay.co.uk/CHINA-TnhaSHOP

Hello, thed10. I wouldn't go for the T-11+ because it's a very-very fast and very-very hard blade, even if it's only ~70g. The Mercury Y-15 doesn't sound like a good option either, according to reviews and manufacturer info. I think you don't even need to look at blades that are in the OFF - OFF+ speed range. As you've been playing for 6 months, you need something slower and flexier.

I suggest instead the Galaxy 896, as it it an all-round blade with decent speed and flex and good control, while being quite light at ~80g. Pairing it with Friendship Focus III Snipe will be a great combo that will deliver everything you need for development(tested on my brother :D).

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I suggest instead the Galaxy 896, as it it an all-round blade with decent speed and flex and good control, while being quite light at ~80g. Pairing it with Friendship Focus III Snipe will be a great combo that will deliver everything you need for development(tested on my brother :D).

This is the good info.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Have decided to use the 896 for the blade :)

Is the focus 3 snipe a good FH rubber? Reviews says it isn't very tacky - how will that affect gameplay?

Reactions: fais
Table Tennis England's new website has a nice guidance for bats, its a little "conservative" (read 1.5mm for beginners under the rubbers section) but it seems sound advice.

http://tabletennisengland.co.uk/play/equipment-guidance/bats/

Might be worth a read before you make your final choice and would be interesting to see what the EJ's think, or that might've better for another thread ? ;)

This user has no status.
I'm not 100% sure but isn't it better for looping?

Sorry for the delayed reply, but not necessarily. Non tacky rubbers can generate just as much spin with slightly different mechanics. The basic idea comes down to grippy rubbers versus tacky rubbers.

This user has no status.
Have decided to use the 896 for the blade :)

Is the focus 3 snipe a good FH rubber? Reviews says it isn't very tacky - how will that affect gameplay?

You're right, Focus III Snipe isn't a tacky rubber, but it doesn't mean it's not a good rubber. As to add to fais' post, it's up to personal preference, either Euro/Jap or Chinese rubbers have their own pros and cons, and there were a lot of threads on this topic.

I have found the Focus III Snipe quite a neutral rubber - which means it's good both for FH and BH, so no need to worry about that.

Have been playing for 6 months and wanted to replace my cheap £7 premade bat.

I'm a shakehand all round (mainly attacker) and was wondering what type of blade/rubbers to buy.
My backhand is fast but forehand is slower/still needs work.
Don't chop or counter much (want to learn to counter better soon)
My budget is only £30 for everything, it's just a hobby - I'll only be playing throughout university.

Thoughts on the Galaxy N-9 with 2x CJ8000 42-44? Will it be too hard to play with if I'm still learning (from what I see its for very very fast players?)

Welcome to all suggestions :D

My first bat was a premade yasaka leader 3d that cost exactly £30. My best recommendation is to go to a club and ask people if you can use their bats for a few minutes and if you like it make a note of what that setup is. There are loads of clubs in the UK, especially in London. Or go to your university club and see if theres a coach who you can ask.