Need advice for buying my second bat.

says Hey! I'm a big fan of table tennis but also a...
Jun 2023
Hello,

I have played table tennis for a year, and loved it. I didn't know much when I bought my first bat, so It's not the best you could ever buy. This is a reason why I came here and asked for better advice. Please give me suggestions for my rubber, blade, glue and some advice on sticking the rubber on the blade.

If you have advice for my rubber, please also give me the thickness of the sponge. If you have a good rubber/blade/glue but you can't buy it in where I live (New Zealand), still tell me about it, because I can ship it from any country which has it.

Here is my info:
- I push a lot on the backhand side, but I prefer looping and sometimes smashing on the forehand.
- I sometimes (but not much) loop on the backhand side too.
- I am useless at pushing/chopping on the forehand side.
- My max budget is around $100 US dollars for rubbers and $300 US dollars for blades, but please also tell me about ones that are more expensive than that.
- I don't really care about durability, as long as it is good and suitable for me. (But please don't advise me to buy a rubber that will come apart in weeks lol).
- I prefer Butterfly over other table tennis companies (no reason), but that doesn't mean you can't give me suggestions that arn't from butterfly.

Please comment and I am always happy to listen.
Thank you very much.

BigFan

Last edited:
Generally rubbers are much more expensive than the blade. You shall be able to get a great allwood blade for $50us. Since you just began no point in buying a super expensive blade since you don’t know what you like yet.
A rough estimate for some great equipment. Blade $50us, rubbers $50us per side so $100us for both.

My standard recommendation is : any 5ply allwood blade with a classification all+.
Rakza 7 -2mm on both sides.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Butterfly Falcima blade.

Forehand rubber: Butterfly Rozena
Backhand rubber: Butterfly Rozena

Price: USD 100.00ish
I probably would substitute the rozena with the glayzer on one side of it, just to have something different and enable you to see what fits better on the forehand and backhand. Choose a sponge of 1,9mm and you can't go wrong.
Update: reconsidering that I don't know your level, opting for a primorac which is slower than the falcima would be worth a thought.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hello,

I have played table tennis for a year, and loved it. I didn't know much when I bought my first bat, so It's not the best you could ever buy. This is a reason why I came here and asked for better advice. Please give me suggestions for my rubber, blade, glue and some advice on sticking the rubber on the blade.

If you have advice for my rubber, please also give me the thickness of the sponge. If you have a good rubber/blade/glue but you can't buy it in where I live (New Zealand), still tell me about it, because I can ship it from any country which has it.

Here is my info:
- I push a lot on the backhand side, but I prefer looping and sometimes smashing on the forehand.
- My max budget is around $100 US dollars for rubbers and $300 US dollars for blades, but please also tell me about ones that are more expensive than that.
- I don't really care about durability, as long as it is good and suitable for me. (But please don't advise me to buy a rubber that will come apart in weeks lol).
- I prefer Butterfly over other table tennis companies (no reason), but that doesn't mean you can't give me suggestions that arn't from butterfly.

Thank you very much.

BigFanOfTableTennis
Hey Big Fan

welcome to the sport

Which club do you play in NZ?
I know a lot of national coaches/players there. Maybe if you are at the same club, I can ask them to have a look at you playing and advise from there.

your budget is way more than enough.
I'm not sure if you need to spend that much (400 US is a lot)

There is a reputable TT store in NZ that you can also browse and ask question with the owner, Rodney. He is pretty helpful too, and if you are near him, you can pop in store too.

Jun 2023
Hey Big Fan

welcome to the sport

I know a lot of national coaches/players there. Maybe if you are at the same club, I can ask them to have a look at you playing and advise from there.

your budget is way more than enough.
I'm not sure if you need to spend that much (400 US is a lot)

There is a reputable TT store in NZ that you can also browse and ask question with the owner, Rodney. He is pretty helpful too, and if you are near him, you can pop in store too.
Hello,

Thanks for the welcome, I play at Auckland Table Tennis Association.
Thanks again for the advice, I will definetly try Rodney's TT store.

BigFan

This user has no status.
Hey Tony, do you know Gregg Davey?
He is the main equipment supplier for the South Island, he is based in Canterbury, I also play for Canterbury, he gives me discounts for my equipment.

But to Big Fan I don't think you really can go wrong, it sounds like you are still learning a few shots so you really can't go wrong with a 5 ply all wood blade as these are extremely forgiving. If you can, see if you can try out a few of these sorts of blades from people around the club, people are always willing to let others have a quick hit with their bat to see if they like it, this will also let you try out a larger variety of rubbers. But for now you'll want to stay away from anything carbon.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hello,

Here is my info:

Thank you very much.

BigFan
I am pretty sure TT11 ships to New Zealand. TT11 is great! Buy enough and you get 30% off. They unfortunately get you Butterfly products outside of their area.

Blade: I like Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. Off -. Great at looping. Well balanced. Handle is comfortable.

If you want to go with Butterfly, 7-play Petr Korbel made in Japan seems to be very very popular.

Forehand: if you love to loop, stick with Hurricane 3. Do you boost? If you boost, hurricane 3 plays very well especially looping. I am not sure why you are useless in pushing on the forehand side. I think it is simply a technique issues, not a rubber issue. Forehand push, you need certain technique and movement; backhand push by contrast is easy.

If you want Butterfly product, then you have to try Dignics 09c. That's like a hybrid rubber with slight hint of hurricane.

Backhand: either Xiom Vega Europe or Xiom Vega X or Rakza 7 soft. All three have pretty good catapult effects. They are on the softer side. They are easier to control.

Interesting you never mentioned what your backhand style is like.

If you want Butterfly product, start with Rozena then move your way up to Glayzer, then move your way up to Tenergy 05 fx, then move your way up to Dignics 05.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: t.t.s.t.a.r
Jun 2023
I am pretty sure TT11 ships to New Zealand. TT11 is great! Buy enough and you get 30% off. They unfortunately get you Butterfly products outside of their area.

Blade: I like Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. Off -. Great at looping. Well balanced. Handle is comfortable.

If you want to go with Butterfly, 7-play Petr Korbel made in Japan seems to be very very popular.

Forehand: if you love to loop, stick with Hurricane 3. Do you boost? If you boost, hurricane 3 plays very well especially looping. I am not sure why you are useless in pushing on the forehand side. I think it is simply a technique issues, not a rubber issue. Forehand push, you need certain technique and movement; backhand push by contrast is easy.

If you want Butterfly product, then you have to try Dignics 09c. That's like a hybrid rubber with slight hint of hurricane.

Backhand: either Xiom Vega Europe or Xiom Vega X or Rakza 7 soft. All three have pretty good catapult effects. They are on the softer side. They are easier to control.

Interesting you never mentioned what your backhand style is like.

If you want Butterfly product, start with Rozena then move your way up to Glayzer, then move your way up to Tenergy 05 fx, then move your way up to Dignics 05.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the advice, my backhand style is very defensive and I push a lot.

It defenitely does help. Thanks again.

BigFan

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Thanks for all the advice, my backhand style is very defensive and I push a lot.

It defenitely does help. Thanks again.

BigFan
If you push a lot, yes, any of those ESN rubbers are fine. They are soft. Rozena would be a great choice for you to work your way up the Butterfly ladder.

Wish you the best!

Reactions: ben1229
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I see vanilla Glayzer being recommended but I think for OP's backhand as they describe it, Glayzer 09C might be a better fit, it is firmer and less springy than Glayzer or Rozena with a slightly sticky topsheet which IMO gives it the upper hand over said rubbers when it comes to pushing

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
You have to hit hard or it will give you very little back. Something softer is a better idea…
That is an odd conclusion. Iirc classic rubbers also lack the tensor support and have to engaged with more power to generate speed and nobody would say that it is bad to learn the game with those rubbers.

The most common issue for new players is hitting too hard and overshooting, because they don't have the fine adjustable feeling in the hand yet. A rubber that does not instantly make the ball pierce the wall in the gym when slightly giving too much power is helping new players with better error forgiveness. Otherwise the player might be tempted to hold back on stroke execution out of fear to overhit

You mean too hard and too fast for someone who has played one year to control?

Another thing I don’t understand is how You can compare Tenergy 05FX with Glayser. It plays completely different.

Cheers
L-zr

That is an odd conclusion. Iirc classic rubbers also lack the tensor support and have to engaged with more power to generate speed and nobody would say that it is bad to learn the game with those rubbers.

The most common issue for new players is hitting too hard and overshooting, because they don't have the fine adjustable feeling in the hand yet. A rubber that does not instantly make the ball pierce the wall in the gym when slightly giving too much power is helping new players with better error forgiveness. Otherwise the player might be tempted to hold back on stroke execution out of fear to overhit

You have to learn how to walk before you learn how to run…

It’s the same thing as it is with too fast equipment. You start to miss, makes you hold back. Then you won’t swing properly.

It generally takes more than a year to get a proper swing. Up to that point you are better off with something slow and a little bit softer.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Another thing I don’t understand is how You can compare Tenergy 05FX with Glayser. It plays completely different.

Cheers
L-zr
I am not comparing Tenergy 05fx with Glayser. If he wants to progress through various Butterfly rubbers on his backhand, I think Glayser should be tried before T05fx. Then finally maybe Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05 hard/Dignics 05

Reactions: ben1229