all wood vs composite blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
hello, i have an old clipper wood 12 years with flextra bty and Im going to experiment in donic burn off- or to go in a new clipper,clipper CR with Donic blue fire m3 rubbers what do you think best clipper or burn off-?.Another thought is to put yashaka pryde 40 and bty spinart.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
clipper is a classic. you can't go wrong. cr is faster than the classic and it has hollow handle.
after trying rosewood xo, ebenhoz v, clipper cr and clipper classic i prefer clipper classic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Thanks for your opinion Ill try on clipper yashaka pryde 40, what else rubber you think to combine with it?I want to test and spinart of butterfly!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
i think you should try it with medium to hard rubbers, i like boost tc but becomes too soft.
spinart is too expensive, i haven't play with it. if you want tacky rubber try DHS, much cheaper.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Its really just a matter of what you are used to. My first racket was a Butterfly Keyshot and it was one of the first non-carbon composite blades made. Once you become accustomed to the increased damping of a composite, an all wood blade will always feel extremely high in vibration on hard hits. Its not a good or bad thing, it just is. This is probably my guess as to why many pros in the 90's were still on all wood, because they probably felt composites took away too much feeling for them. If you look at Butterfly's current list of sponsored players globally on their .co.jp website, you will see that composite blades are widely used now as a new generation starts to engulf the 80's and 90's players completely.

As for myself, it doesn't matter much to me. A well designed all wood blade feels as good to me as any other, but I think composite is useful in building properties into a blade that wood cannot. For example zylon can give you a good amount of carbon's speed while retaining a good amount of vibration (amplitude) and a very natural type of vibration (frequency)...without the weight penalty. I probably use composite myself because all wood rackets are not really available at the speed of racket I use....well maybe really thick 1 plies but they're too thick for shakehand.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I like Butterfly ALC blades, especially the Viscaria, which retains some flexibility. It is fast enough without being ridiculous and it retains some feeling. I have been using this blade for many years now (about seven years I think). Maybe that is the key -- to use something long enough that you get to know it really well.

Reactions: Giangt