BREAKING: Ma Long & Fan Zhendong boycott CHINA OPEN!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
The second statement was ended with "China TT team". But the wording sounds like it's the association being apologizing and stating the "improper withdrawal" of 3 players &2coaches. 2nd one was one hour later than 1st. I guess CTTA guys are sitting on fire and couldn't sleep/eat/drink, pulling their own hair now.

Reactions: BeGo and Baal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
"We will do deep reflections on this matter and improve the team's patriotism, team-spirit, and thinking ability. We will create a law-abiding, professional, country-loving table tennis team. We believe that table tennis in China has strong traditions and ability, and will continue to achieve great results, and not disappoint the Chinese Communist Party nor the people of China."

That is chilling.

actually is political bullcrap. they know they made a mistake and now are using fancy words to cover their HUMONGOUS blunder :p

it's all about keeping their power and their positions, communist party my ass, they are also capitalists and consumers pretending to be patriots and "communists".

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
My wife's take is that the whole thing from top down is business as usual in China, and happens there daily. Except that in this case Ma Long, XX, and FZD are young elite popular professional athletes who travel a lot. Somebody expected that as usual they would obey and go along with the Program, and 99.999% of the time they would be right but this time they miscalculated. The athlete's response took them by surprise. And shit hit fan and now NOBODY is quite sure what to do from the top down because this territory is pretty uncharted.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
In the US protest can get you squashed too even if the government isn't the one doing it. Hence Brock Osweiller has a job and Colin Kaepdrnik doesn't. Apologies to non-American readers for whom that statement makes no sense.

Colin Kaepernick is an African-American quarterback who last year was playing for the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL and he protested police shootings of black people by refusing to stand up during the national anthem at the start of games last year. He is not a great QB, but not entirely terrible, and lots of teams in the NFL had worse players starting. Two of those teams were the Houston Texans and the Cleveland Browns. Brock Osweiller was the starting QB for the Houston Texans, an "all-American"-looking looking white kid right out of the 1950s with a big smile who said all the right things -- and a terrible arm and even worse on the field decision making capabilities. By far the worst QB in the NFL last year, and if not for that, the Texans were a potential Superbowl Team. He was a joke on the field, far far worse than Kaepernick on a bad day. Cleveland's QB situation was only marginally better. During the off-season, somehow, the Texans managed to trade Osweiller to the Browns (they also paid them a lot of money to take him off their hands, literally). Meanwhile, the 49ers cut Kaepernick, who is still out of a job. Osweiller has a job.

The owners of NFL teams are all billionaires (literally) and a lot of them are incredibly conservative politically, a lot of them got their money in the oil industry and such. (They tend to be extremely far to the right, infinitely more so than the owners of NBA teams, for example).

Kaepernick will never work in the NFL again, that is almost certain. The league says he is not black-balled by they are lying. His best hope is to play in the Canadian Football League. Owsweiller? He will stick around a little longer until even the Browns figure out that he can't play.

An interesting contrast is the NBA. There have been player-generated protests there too (about local politics, including immigration laws). The NBA tends to actually embrace the players' protests officially. For example, when the teams reacted to proposed immigration restrictions by putting the names of the teams on the jerseys in Spanish (like "Los Suns"). The NBA knows their fan base is international and within the US has a huge component of minorities, and they are sensitive to it. Their rich owners tended to make their money in quite different industries (often things like Silicon Valley).

What is interesting about this event is the level of the CNT players who boycotted.

By the way, this post is partly a response to the person who said I hated China or something. That is not where I am coming from. I support the rights of athletes to express themselves about the affairs of the day as real human beings, often highly intelligent people contrary to stereotype, and I don't like societal structures where power is very easily abused, and lots of places are like that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In the US protest cans squashed too even if the government isnt doing i. Hence Brock Osweiller has a job and Colin Kaepdrnik doesn't. Apologies to non-American readers for whom tnat state,ent makes no sense.

Just because you protest and people don't agree with you and don't want to work with you doesn't mean your protest was squashed.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
OK, not squashed. But punished severely albeit unofficially.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Just because you protest and people don't agree with you and don't want to work with you doesn't mean your protest was squashed.

Yes it does. NFL players in the future will be very hesitant to speak out on things they feel are unjust if they think it will cost them their livelihood. And it probably will.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes it does. NFL players in the future will be very hesitant to speak out on things they feel are unjust if they think it will cost them their livelihood. And it probably will.

This has always been true, it is just that in this specific case, the issue you speak of is one that you strongly support the protester. OF course such decisions should have repercussions. As many people pointed out, there were many ways to support or protest. Your choice will have consequences. If you think that Colin chose his only and best option, that is fair. But it is far from and not the only possible viewpoint. And others did not have to agree with him. And no one has to hire him because he wasn't even that great a footballer for the last couple of years.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This has always been true, it is just that in this specific case, the issue you speak of is one that you strongly support the protester. OF course such decisions should have repercussions. As many people pointed out, there were many ways to support or protest. Your choice will have consequences. If you think that Colin chose his only and best option, that is fair. But it is far from and not the only possible viewpoint. And others did not have to agree with him. And no one has to hire him because he wasn't even that great a footballer for the last couple of years.

And like John Carlos and Tommie Smith, he has been trashed pretty thoroughly. History has been kind to Smith and Carlos though.