Who do you think will win the China Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 51 57.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Chinese regime is almost at the same level as North Korean regime. But these guys are superstars of their national sport. It can quickly turn into a country wide public protest if things go out of hand and they don't treat them right. But the players did not do anything anti-national . They just want their beloved coach back !!

I don't think it is quite accurate to say that Chinese regime is "almost at the same level as North Korean regime". But it is not like anyplace that most of us live, either. People are much freer to live more or less ordinary lives in China these days, although they control access to media, websites of all sorts, etc. BUT, the Chinese government does not tolerate protest, that is for sure. Even people who have a totally legitimate complaint in China will be punished if they protest about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
List of CNT and Province teams members who support LGL on Weibo. (until GMT+8 Jun 24 00:45am)

Players: Ma Long, Fan Zhendong, Xu Xin, Liang Jingkun, Lin Gaoyuan, Liu Yi, Zhou Yu, Fang Yinchi, Cheng Jingqi, Ma Te, Cui Qinglei, Yu Ziyang, Lü Xiang, Fan Shengpeng, Zhu Linfeng, Zheng Peifeng, Chen Sichang, Zhang Yudong

CNT Coaches: Qin Zhijian, Ma Lin,Wang Hao

Province team coaches:Chen Qi, Qiu Yike

LGL's family and friend: Liu Guodong (LGL’s brother), Guo Bin (Wang Nan's husband)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Baal , I was born and brought up in a state in India which had almost 34 years. Of course it was "imported communism" not something that came from the people like it did in Russia , but one thing I can say that they had much more sophisticated mechanisms of intimidation .. basically they would ostracize people and their families financially and socially , they will not make sure that they get into legal tussles over nothing and slowly starve them out .... so yes they are not going to shoot these guys like North Korea would have but they will make sure they pay for their "sins" one way or another ... time for USATT to step in and get some of these guys over to the USA and get some medals in olympics :)
I don't think it is quite accurate to say that Chinese regime is "almost at the same level as North Korean regime". But it is not like anyplace that most of us live, either. People are much freer to live more or less ordinary lives in China these days, although they control access to media, websites of all sorts, etc. BUT, the Chinese government does not tolerate protest, that is for sure. Even people who have a totally legitimate complaint in China will be punished if they protest about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Dude its not imagination , its history , its a fact that has happened :) ... I am not saying they will but they will make sure these guys pay for their actions ... sometimes that is worse than death .. why do you think so many ex national players from CNT has emigrated to other countries when they are treated like celebrities in their country ... freedom is more important than honor
My god. You have such vigorous imagination. No one will shoot anybody. Most likely ban them from some games.

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Quarter Final Schedule

Matches begin 11.30am Local Time

Yuya Oshima vs Dimitrij Ovtcharov
Wong Chun Ting vs Masaki Yoshida

Tomokazu Harimoto vs Koki Niwa
Timo Boll vs Donghyun Kim

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Dude its not imagination , its history , its a fact that has happened :) ... I am not saying they will but they will make sure these guys pay for their actions ... sometimes that is worse than death .. why do you think so many ex national players from CNT has emigrated to other countries when they are treated like celebrities in their country ... freedom is more important than honor

I can't agree with you that exCNT players emigrate to other countries for freedom. Actually, many of them emigrate for more opportunity in their table tennis careers (either as players or as coaches).

Reactions: ping fun and eyepop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am talking top CNT players, people who have world championship / olympic medals , not others ...
I can't agree with you that exCNT players emigrate to other countries for freedom. Actually, many of them emigrate for more opportunity in their table tennis careers (either as players or as coaches).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Just to change topic.
LSW and DN have changed their equipment. I don't know if it is permanent or if their rackets didn't pass the check. LSW with DHS and DN with Stiga Carbonado 45

View attachment 13600

Courtesy sina weibo
Here is photos of Ding Ning with Carbonado 45
IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

Courtesy of ITTF Flickr account

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I'm not sure whether it has been mentioned in any of the threads but... last time a non-Chinese player won the Men's Singles competition of the China Open was exactly 20 years ago, in 1997, when Zoran Primorac defeated Kim Taek Soo in the final. It's a big thing not to have a local winner!

Timo Boll won in 2006, defeating Wang Liqin 4-2 in the finals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Open_(table_tennis)

However, I didn't know about Primorac. Thanks for the info!

http://dr.ittf.com/competitions/matches_16.asp?competition_ID=1588&s_Event_Type=MS

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

Yeah. I know that's true history. Government could be ruthless and unreasonable in terms of shitting on citizens. But in this 21st century, when numerous large modern cities sprang up in China, and when Chinese people have more access to see the rest world, it would not be that primitive way to deal with this matter.

So, one thing I'm certain. No shooting would happen to them. No jail time for them either. Chinese government would do it in a more low-profile and slow way to punishment, do it quietly and secretly. Like limiting their play opportunities, asking players' families and friends to soften players' ears.... etc.

Reactions: ping fun
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
And cutting their pay, blocking their endorsement oportunities, reducing their travel....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
A little disappointed in FZD and XX for losing the doubles match and then forfeiting as protest for LGL. Seems unfair on the young Japanese doubles team. Winning the Chinese team in any of the events is usually supposed to be an exciting thing to celebrate, but regardless of whether FZD/XX lost on purpose (a pretty tasteless move, IMO) or not, their win is now marred with "eh, the Chinese team gave you the win"

Reactions: doraemon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
A little disappointed in FZD and XX for losing the doubles match and then forfeiting as protest for LGL. Seems unfair on the young Japanese doubles team. Winning the Chinese team in any of the events is usually supposed to be an exciting thing to celebrate, but regardless of whether FZD/XX lost on purpose (a pretty tasteless move, IMO) or not, their win is now marred with "eh, the Chinese team gave you the win"

I think the Chinese indeed gave away the fight as they were not in the mood to play.

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I think the Chinese indeed gave away the fight as they were not in the mood to play.
If so, sad for Harimoto and Kizukiri, since their hug and excitement after winning was very genuine.
Fans are arguing that they both seemed very normal after the match though, and XX even said he would seriously prepare/look at his match later against Harimoto during the post-match interview. Kind of wonder if they decided to protest in the timespace after the doubles match

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I guess now it matters less if they lost purposely to Japanese double players. My heart is with the forthcoming fate to the amazing genius CNT players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Chinese regime is almost at the same level as North Korean regime. But these guys are superstars of their national sport. It can quickly turn into a country wide public protest if things go out of hand and they don't treat them right. But the players did not do anything anti-national . They just want their beloved coach back !!

rofl guys stop it with the ignorant posts . where do you "learn" the news ? CNN? german bild?? donald trump's channel???