CNT Closed Training for WTTC 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for clarifying - I guess I was somewhat thrown off by what 'closed' means here.

CNT close training is close to the public
The PR officer will bring in media at certain "approved" time slots, this is part of the PR campaign

Also, it has been years now that the players/coach will post they own pics on social media platform.
Any user with time on the hand, can just browse social media for this pics (and/or videos) of close training.
I used to do this, but I do not have the luxury of social media time as some people has

I would say, CNT is one of the early adopters of sharing internal pics. Other countries are very slow to do this for the general public

Reactions: Suga D and pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes that was my point that FB gave a good fight, FB winning against ML would be a big surprise, the last time he won against ma long was in 2013 warmup trials and another win in the chinese championship in 2012 which are not prestigious events
I still believe FB would have been a better choice than LGY for WTTC. FB could not adapt to the ball during the trials and ended up at the bottom. But he did well in Qatar and other recent matches.And we all know how well he performed in the last WTTC. Sad to see such talents getting wasted in CNT. They should rather let these guys emigrate somewhere else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
LGY did well in the trials and Marvellous 12 and the coaches are satisfied with him. He worked hard for that and now it's his big chance to prove so he will be determined. It would be bad for the moral if the players see that someone who improved that much, fight for that place and was that successful in all trial events simply get ignored.
It's a principle in teaching if someone does his job then should be rewarded. Different people take the target further or closer, but LGY definitely deserve that place. And it's not the end of the world for china if he gets beaten. ML, FZD, ZJK, XX: one of them will win the title, and probably silver and bronze medalists also will come from CNT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I still believe FB would have been a better choice than LGY for WTTC. FB could not adapt to the ball during the trials and ended up at the bottom. But he did well in Qatar and other recent matches.And we all know how well he performed in the last WTTC. Sad to see such talents getting wasted in CNT. They should rather let these guys emigrate somewhere else.

This whole argument is very puzzling. LGY was not a choice, he was a qualifier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
CCTV news on men's physical training. Zhang Jike said the Polish physical trainer is helpful.

Schedule of warm-up matches (open to public):
May 13
Ma Long vs Liang Jingkun
Fan Zhendong vs Shang Kun
Lin Gaoyuan vs Xu Xin
Ma Long vs Zhou Yu
Zhang Jike vs Fang Bo
Fan Zhendong vs Liang JingKun
Fang Bo/Zhu Cheng vs Yan An/Zhu Linfeng

May 14
Ma Long/Yu Ziyang vs Xu Xin/Fan Zhendong
Lin Gaoyuan vs Ma Te
Zhang Jike vs Wang Chuqin
Xu Xin vs Liang Jingkun

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This whole argument is very puzzling. LGY was not a choice, he was a qualifier.

Overall, I meant to say that the selection based on a single selection trial held over a span of few days is a little harsh . Players can have few off color days. Top 4 were anyway confirmed. It is really difficult for lower rung players like Yan An , FB , Liang Jinkun etc . Its a hit or miss. One may not perform the whole year and come on top in trials and get the ticket. Nothing to take away from LGY . He has performed well since the CSL and bloomed in the trials. I am somewhat sympathetic towards other B players. It should be based on ranking points based on whole year performance to be fair.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

LGL takes several factors into consideration. Not to take anything away from FB but I dont think he stood a chance against a healthy ZJK in the semifinal of suzhou, he also admitted that he beat a very familiar opponent who was not playing @ 100% . If he had clinched the title his position would definitely be different but his results in the trials and super league were not so consistent, LJK same occasion he played his heart out against big name in the super league, managed to beat FZD in the warmup trials but then he didnt manage to break through.

Dont forget that LGY was also in their position 3-4 years ago and he had to try extra hard because he was in doubt in LGL'S mind especially after the 2016 team trials

The chinese selection system is very hard for the new and upcomers but hey, the big names have proven themselves beating the old generation of WLQ MLin and wang hao .

Based strictly on results maybe XX should deserve less chances but so far only FZD has solidified his position against him so I understand why LGL sticks to the "old" team, XX after all is 2 years younger than ML and ZJK

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2014
Does "open to public" means it will be televised ?
CCTV news on men's physical training. Zhang Jike said the Polish physical trainer is helpful.

Schedule of warm-up matches (open to public):
May 13
Ma Long vs Liang Jingkun
Fan Zhendong vs Shang Kun
Lin Gaoyuan vs Xu Xin
Ma Long vs Zhou Yu
Zhang Jike vs Fang Bo
Fan Zhendong vs Liang JingKun
Fang Bo/Zhu Cheng vs Yan An/Zhu Linfeng

May 14
Ma Long/Yu Ziyang vs Xu Xin/Fan Zhendong
Lin Gaoyuan vs Ma Te
Zhang Jike vs Wang Chuqin
Xu Xin vs Liang Jingkun

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Training videos and pictures of May 4.
Ding Ning (and Zhu Yuling) physical training
Zhang Jike multi-ball training with Liu Guozheng
Men's doubles: Ma Long/Yu Ziyang vs Xu Xin/Fan Zhendong

Liu Shiwen: shoulder therapy
cache.php

Lin Gaoyuan is building up muscles
cache.php

CNT line-up
cache.php

This user has no status.
Rainneverever, I must know why XX hasn't upgraded to carbon blade like ML! Does he feel like the NCT is sufficient for the new ball when all of his contemporaries are playing with carbon blades? Please find out for us!

Schedule of warm

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I think in 2014 Xu Xin said it easier for penholders to control balls with NCT blade, especially short balls. Not aware that he or coaches wanted to change blade.

Rainneverever, I must know why XX hasn't upgraded to carbon blade like ML! Does he feel like the NCT is sufficient for the new ball when all of his contemporaries are playing with carbon blades? Please find out for us!

Reactions: fais
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
TTDaily curmudgeon comment of the day: this sycophantic CNT fanboy stuff is getting me down.

I admire these players a lot so it doesn't actually get me down. Not exactly.

What is depressing is to look at all this (e.g. the personal massage therapists, the exercise physiologists, the playing hall complete with fan-girl noise from hell, the number of coaches, the number of practice partners etc.) and compare it to the resources devoted to almost any other national table tennis team -- certainly any team outside Asia (since I am not sure quite what Japan devotes to their team). For sure you can't actually blame China for this (it is their national sport). But it is definitely not a level playing field. And so whenever any CNT member loses I am happy, even though it is nothing personal against the CNT player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
In my opinion, it is the teamwork that makes CNT the strongest team now. CNT players are taught not to be self-centered despite of the intense competition within the team (and I hope this tradition can be kept). After every major tournament, players and their coaches analyze the issues not only for themselves but also FOR their teammates/rivals. In the Olympic Games, the team really tried their best to "serve" the core players. For example, the one who only played in team event and the wild card brought breakfast to the ones who played singles, to give them more time to sleep; people who did not get access to the Olympic village rent an apartment and prepared home-made food just in case the player got tired of the cafe. Ma Lin was out competed by Ma Long to play in the team event in 2012 London and he was not even selected as a practice partner. Actually Ma Lin was in charge of grocery shopping in London and got the nickname "Chef", although he did not cook and Coach Wu Jingping and Xiao Zhan were the real chefs. A player with 3 Olympic gold medals and a grocery shopper, that's something really beyond my imagination :p

What is depressing is to look at all this (e.g. the personal massage therapists, the exercise physiologists, the playing hall complete with fan-girl noise from hell, the number of coaches, the number of practice partners etc.) and compare it to the resources devoted to almost any other national table tennis team -- certainly any team outside Asia (since I am not sure quite what Japan devotes to their team). For sure you can't actually blame China for this (it is their national sport). But it is definitely not a level playing field. And so whenever any CNT member loses I am happy, even though it is nothing personal against the CNT player.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Well maybe, that in addition to everything else. Do CNT players really have a choice? Remember, that teamwork once included losing when ordered to. Teamwork requires that teams have resources, like a central training facility (or a bunch of them like in China). A lot of the world top 100 are training by playing tournaments like Croatia and Slovenia opens becaause it is their only option. Their "national team" exists for two weeks every other year. The rest of the time they are on their own.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

We are in agreement. What CNT does to train their athletes is great. The athletes themselves are pretty darn impressive.

I guess it's okay to have all this info. And it is true, there have been some interesting side discussions in the threads like this one.

But the CNT fanboys themselves get me down. On the other hand, the fangirls, I think I'm more okay with them.

Just a bit jealous that the CNT have one or two more fangirls than I have. Although, thinking about it, based on my last week of teaching, it is closer than I was realizing. [emoji2] I have been swarmed with hugs from hoards of well-wishers before and after all my classes.

But I guess the good thing about all the CNT fanboys, if someone other than China wins WTTC or any other major tournament, it will be quite a big celebration from everyone who isn't on the bandwagon.

I am remembering when Russia beat the USA in basketball in 1972 and when USA beat Russia in Hockey in the 1980 Olympics. Or how NYC responded when the Mets won the 1986 World Series. When the Yankees win everyone goes "yay", for a moment and then goes on with their business. When the Mets won, it was such a rare and unlikely event that there were riots. Cars were crushed by fans jumping on them.

Okay, maybe it won't have quite as rowdy an outcome. But, if anyone beats China there will be some real celebrations happening. However, I know there is a slim chance of that happening.

And this thread has all the evidence of how China is so much more prepared than anyone and everyone else.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well maybe, that in addition to everything else. Do CNT players really have a choice? Remember, that teamwork once included losing when ordered to. Teamwork requires that teams have resources, like a central training facility (or a bunch of them like in China). A lot of the world top 100 are training by playing tournaments like Croatia and Slovenia opens becaause it is their only option. Their "national team" exists for two weeks every other year. The rest of the time they are on their own.

I don't think he understands the nature of the problem. He probably thinks every country has China and Japan's allocation to TT.