Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
It's been a while I posted, so:
it starts to show that I play 4-5 times a week now (my classes don't interfere with training this semester). Today there was a girl from the U15 national team from Scotland. I am pretty sure that I could beat her (as I beat 3-0 my clubmate who beat her). I hope she comes tomorrow too, I want to challenge her.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Today there was a girl from the U15 national team from Scotland. I am pretty sure that I could beat her (as I beat 3-0 my clubmate who beat her). I hope she comes tomorrow too, I want to challenge her.

I'm not suggesting you can't. Most of the time, you can simply watch someone's play and gauge if they're further along than you or behind you. So I'm assuming you saw the match and thought "I've got this." But I'd like to note here that I've seen plenty of cases of...

Player A
Player B
Player C

Player A usually beats Player B. Player B beat Player C. So Player A assumes they can, or should, beat player C easily. However, bad matchup stylistically or whatever reason, Player C can beat player A.

I've seen it happen. It's happened to me. So just fair warning of taking someone lightly if entering a situation like that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Tuesday night - hit at regular club - nothing spectacular to report -- trying to get used to 2 old blades with new rubbers. Wrist can't handle the weight of the Avalox P700 with 2 rubbers. Alternated throughout night with Butterfly Taksim blade.

Weds night - NYC hit with a 4th "noreaster", a type of storm/snowstorm, but luckily, not that much snow that night, so i went to my new club. My friend, a coach at that club, gave me some pointers:

1. if I truly want to use the RPB, i need to change my grip. My grip is a slight variation of the traditional grip. Fingers are curled in back and not extended out which is needed for a good RPB. don't know if i will get used to this, but then again, a little over 2 yrs ago, i didn't think i would embrace RPB and stick only to the oldschool penholder ways

2. i am half meeting the ball earlier and half still old muscle memory and waiting for the ball. think i improved a little on this, but muscle memory not totally 'reset' yet

3. i rush my shots, i need to wait about a second later

4. Hit with a lady who has good strokes and steadier than me. We went through 4 buckets of multiballs... FH to FH, pushing, and we each served.

Getting a little used to the weight of the Taksim and the Tenergy 25. Tried the Avalox for a bit. Decided for the time being I will stick only with Taksim as it's a little lighter than the Avalox.

Was able to get some of my TPB punches over, some serves, no FH loop (strange that i jedi mind trick myself for whatever reason on the fh loop). Didn't try any RPB with her.

Good practice and I thanked her for her time.

Last night - just hitting basic strokes to get used to the weight, and getting used to the feel of the Taksim. Mostly blocked for my friends... getting my TPB punch 75% of the time now.

Was able to hit with a coach that i've hit with for 3 or 4x previously. He looped and i FH blockec as well as BH blocked on the FH side for him... slow spinny loops, challenging for me to block in the first place, then factor in getting used to a new racket. I then worked my flat hits progressively smashing faster ... then I FH looped, started slow, and progressively upped the power/speed ... felt good with the taksim ... hitting with this coach, i have no hesistancy to loop, to really loop. i am very strange. Only able to hit for 10 mins with him, it was getting late, and i needed to leave. Thanked him for his help and time.

Looking forward to next week. For now, haven't been able to go to my new club on the weekend or go to 42andbackpains' club to hit with him.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Goofed off in new club... three weeks out from team's tourney. I now realize whatever team weighted with 2 max rated players allowable will have a huge advantage as two players will play two matches. This lessens the effects of an evenly balanced team.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Yesterday we had the top match of our league. We were first with 3 points ahead over the 2nd. A win would have secured 1st place and the promotion. We knew they would come with a line up they haven't played before (best one possible).

In Germany double 1 plays double 2, so they chose to strategically put their two best players on double 2 to play me and our number 1. That tactic worked, we went down 0-3 after the doubles. Singles wouldn't go much better, 1-6 and 2-7 down until I managed to win against someone who has 50 points more than me. That ignited a comeback.

Our player on position 2 managed to upset their number 2, I won my 2nd game as well and we got to 6-8. It was looking good for our last singles match, but a 10-12 loss in the 2nd game was the decider and we lost 6-9.

Everything was possible in this match so it was a lot of fun, I am happy with my performance (first time I am over 1700 TTR :)). Bit said that the doubles went that way, but we still got it in our own hands to finish first and advance without relegation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Yesterday we had the top match of our league. We were first with 3 points ahead over the 2nd. A win would have secured 1st place and the promotion. We knew they would come with a line up they haven't played before (best one possible).

In Germany double 1 plays double 2, so they chose to strategically put their two best players on double 2 to play me and our number 1. That tactic worked, we went down 0-3 after the doubles. Singles wouldn't go much better, 1-6 and 2-7 down until I managed to win against someone who has 50 points more than me. That ignited a comeback.

Our player on position 2 managed to upset their number 2, I won my 2nd game as well and we got to 6-8. It was looking good for our last singles match, but a 10-12 loss in the 2nd game was the decider and we lost 6-9.

Everything was possible in this match so it was a lot of fun, I am happy with my performance (first time I am over 1700 TTR :)). Bit said that the doubles went that way, but we still got it in our own hands to finish first and advance without relegation.

So which league do you play?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
We had our local qualification tournament for the Tokyoites tournament.

We were 11 in the over 40s. First match was against the eventual winner. I entered in the game too slowly and has difficulties receiving long serves to my BH which he did all match.

In the second game, I played better and lost it only 10-12 but I missed the opportunity and in the third I was far behind again.

I think I was too nervous and that’s it couldn’t do better. The guy has a very strong and moves like a junior his legs are really strong

Next game against a Korean guy who finished second. I did beat once in a training match 3-0 a year ago but he’s improved and I lost 0-3 only in the second set I played better lost only 10-12.

Those two players don’t make many unforced errors and the only way to win ( for me) was to attack before them but I wasn’t good enough today

I was already out of the race for number one. I won the next three mini league matches but it didn’t help...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
It's called Bezirksklasse in Germany.

I know that in Germany there are the Bezirksliga inmediately above your league and then comes the Landesliga, right? So if your team win, next season will you play in the Bezirksliga or can go directly to the Landesliga?
By the way, congratulations for your ranking. Although rankings don't reflect necessarily the way we are playing (it can better or worse) and we must not be obsessed with numbers, I know the so goooooood feeling it brings to see that increase. Congrats.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
It's called Bezirksklasse in Germany.

Aha, here http://wttv.click-tt.de/ are Bezirk for more cities in DE.

Anyways - for our league we had a great match this Friday, playing with our rival and - frankly - destroyed them.
It was 12:6, convincing, but when you check out the matches, we won 7 out of 10 matches that went 3:2! :)
Well, I guess, our heads are just better :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I'm not suggesting you can't. Most of the time, you can simply watch someone's play and gauge if they're further along than you or behind you. So I'm assuming you saw the match and thought "I've got this." But I'd like to note here that I've seen plenty of cases of...

Player A
Player B
Player C

Player A usually beats Player B. Player B beat Player C. So Player A assumes they can, or should, beat player C easily. However, bad matchup stylistically or whatever reason, Player C can beat player A.

I've seen it happen. It's happened to me. So just fair warning of taking someone lightly if entering a situation like that.

Yeah, I am aware of that and it happened to me multiple times. The thing is, you can estimate someone's power better if she/he's got formal training. Plus this girl, in contrary to many young girls here, used spin. It's hard to play against half-dead hits and pushes if your opponent does it consistently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hello Everyone, I just switched my blade STIGA Carbonado 90 to Butterfly Timo Boll ZLC.Please suggest me some drills to take control over the new blade. I feel like the new blade is faster & it has harder feel than the previous one. I am using Tibhar AURUS Soft as forehand & Yasaka Rakza 7 as backhand rubber.
TIA

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hello Everyone, I just switched my blade STIGA Carbonado 90 to Butterfly Timo Boll ZLC.Please suggest me some drills to take control over the new blade. I feel like the new blade is faster & it has harder feel than the previous one. I am using Tibhar AURUS Soft as forehand & Yasaka Rakza 7 as backhand rubber.
TIA
It doesn't require specific drills. Do basic warmup drills a lot, for example: backhand-middle-bh-forehand-....
Nothing too complicated. Also practice short touches more than usually.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
It doesn't require specific drills. Do basic warmup drills a lot, for example: backhand-middle-bh-forehand-....
Nothing too complicated. Also practice short touches more than usually.
I like to play close to the table, but now it's very hard for me to attack from there. The weight is also changed. Now it is lighter. For this reason i am missing serve several times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The more you think about it the more it will mess you up. Best is to keep on drilling and playing the way you do ... it will take some time but you will get used to it .. switching from a Limba-Ayous to a Koto blade takes time, atleast it did for me ... kind of like a couple of months , depends on quick you are in adapting and how long you play ... but its worth waiting and not being impatient about it ..
I like to play close to the table, but now it's very hard for me to attack from there. The weight is also changed. Now it is lighter. For this reason i am missing serve several times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Aha, here http://wttv.click-tt.de/ are Bezirk for more cities in DE.

Yes, the "bezirk" is a sector of multiple cities, in ours live around 2 million people with probably over 120 clubs. There is potentially the chance to go directly through from Bezirksliga to Landesliga for us but it will be tough, gotta work hard :3

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
TIA

Hi Hridoy, welcome. You might benefit from basic consistency drills, as in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ8z054Vjhw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Finally. The regional training program started for youth players in Hungary. At least one long session/month (preferrably more) and at least two week training in the summer. Nearly every strong club will send their players. I hope this will lead to somewhere.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
My goodness my TT brothers I'll tell ya, getting old sucks.

For the second Monday in a row after Sunday's 4 1/2 hour club night, my knees (particularly my right) are paying for it. Last week it was Monday & Tuesday they were sore. We'll see how long it lasts this week. I wear a support/compression sleeve in case anybody was wondering. They help.

But it the recovery period after playing simply sucks and gives you a glimpse into your potential limitations in simply the fact of "your body can't do at 39 what it could in your 20s or the style you're emulating".

I could see a future say 5-ish years down the road to where I might have to adapt a more conservative, steady style. We'll see. I'll hang on as long as I can. Best I can do right now I guess is rest and then when i'm back better, try to keep hitting the gym & stretching.

Any of you ever had to change your games over the years due to either injury or aging catching up with you?

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
My goodness my TT brothers I'll tell ya, getting old sucks.

For the second Monday in a row after Sunday's 4 1/2 hour club night, my knees (particularly my right) are paying for it. Last week it was Monday & Tuesday they were sore. We'll see how long it lasts this week. I wear a support/compression sleeve in case anybody was wondering. They help.

But it the recovery period after playing simply sucks and gives you a glimpse into your potential limitations in simply the fact of "your body can't do at 39 what it could in your 20s or the style you're emulating".

I could see a future say 5-ish years down the road to where I might have to adapt a more conservative, steady style. We'll see. I'll hang on as long as I can. Best I can do right now I guess is rest and then when i'm back better, try to keep hitting the gym & stretching.

Any of you ever had to change your games over the years due to either injury or aging catching up with you?

Yes, yes. When you start looking back sentimentally on the days you got out of bed without pain and fatigue, energetic even after a day of stiff excercise, that’s when you know you’re no longer young.

It might be your back, knees, hips, shoulder, ankles, or all of these. Or just generally aching muscles telling you recovery times have grown quite a bit longer.

I’m in denial, most of the time, though my hips, knees, neck, and back tell me otherwise. What I do bend to is recovery.

That’s one thing I had to swallow when restarting after 30-odd years of not playing The Game. When I quit, back in my teens, five or six days of intense practice sessions of 3 to 5 hours went by smoothly. And I’d play competition and tournaments on top. Instantaneous recovery.

Now I can cope with three focused training sessions of 1.5 hours tops a week. Recovery takes a day or two. I can add a couple of hours of leisurely play without much consequence, and that’s it.

A few weeks ago I did a duo team tournament. Played 12 singles and 6 doubles, and only after playing (and winning, except for a single doubles) all noticed how utterly spent I was. I think I played more economically near the end of the tournament — but my opponents had taken the same beating, of course, so I don’t think I was pressed as hard as in the beginning. Lucky we annihilated the whippersnapper teams in the preliminaries…

Age does take its toll. I think you adapt, automatically for the most part. Perhaps it helps not to make too much of a deal of it, not to let it get in your head too much.

Last edited: