Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Robots are okay for footwork drills and specific aspects of spin control. Not so good for other things. The sooner you find a hitting partner the better.

They aren't a substitute for a partner but they are a lot better than nothing at all in between. I think done correctly, with video analysis and drills etc it can be very useful. I've felt the benefits already and have hardly used mine. Maybe once a week.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
They aren't a substitute for a partner but they are a lot better than nothing at all in between. I think done correctly, with video analysis and drills etc it can be very useful. I've felt the benefits already and have hardly used mine. Maybe once a week.

It's definitely been nice to work on my mechanics. I have to break movements down further than most people in order to learn them correctly and the consistency of the robot really helps with that. As far as getting better in game/match situations, yes, that'll require a practice partner. But I'm bad enough right now that just getting some semblance of acceptable mechanics will help me the most.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Tell that to BRS and see what happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Robot, multiball or training were you repeat a certain stroke van be very good But also harmfull if i think. Need to be certain that you are doing the stroke correct so you Do not learn the wrong technique.

I think We almost play to much in the youth groups i coach. Much more important to know that they are doing the correct stroke. No good training to train the wrong motion.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Robot, multiball or training were you repeat a certain stroke van be very good But also harmfull if i think. Need to be certain that you are doing the stroke correct so you Do not learn the wrong technique.

I think We almost play to much in the youth groups i coach. Much more important to know that they are doing the correct stroke. No good training to train the wrong motion.

Yes that is the problem of using a robot to coach yourself, you may learn a modified stroke which may not benefit you in the long run.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it is always a problem. That is why i think that it is more important to have a good coach than good training partners. Technique is not everything But still very important in tabletennis. It is easier to get quality strokes with good technique

This user has no status.
Tell that to BRS and see what happens.

Yeah I think he's wrong, it's hitting a ball. It's like multiball. It's only so useful, and it's only as useful as you make it. If you practice and actually internalise poor technique, that's doing it wrong. I use it to improve my technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah I think he's wrong, it's hitting a ball. It's like multiball. It's only so useful, and it's only as useful as you make it. If you practice and actually internalise poor technique, that's doing it wrong. I use it to improve my technique.

That's fair. It probably has a level of player it is useful for.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi guys, haven't posted a while.
I played my third pennant today.

First singles, I played against a long pips shakehander. Nearly lost, was 0-2 down, and 8-10 down in 3rd set, but.. came back and took the match. I concluded that I need more practice / understanding against long pips players. They really play with my mind.

Second singles, I played against a young girl whom I beat last year or the year before.
I should have taken first set, when I was 10-6, but lost 16-18 first set.. then I took 2 sets, but then she came back and beat me. I tried to play stable, but I think it was not enough. She has improved from previous encounter.

Would really appreciate some pointers / feedback if you guys can have a look at the match and point me to the right direction.
Cheers.

https://youtu.be/1WO5arnRYIg

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

First singles, I played against a long pips shakehander. Nearly lost, was 0-2 down, and 8-10 down in 3rd set, but.. came back and took the match. I concluded that I need more practice / understanding against long pips players. They really play with my mind.

Second singles, I played against a young girl whom I beat last year or the year before.
I should have taken first set, when I was 10-6, but lost 16-18 first set.. then I took 2 sets, but then she came back and beat me. I tried to play stable, but I think it was not enough. She has improved from previous encounter.

Would really appreciate some pointers / feedback if you guys can have a look at the match and point me to the right direction.
Cheers.

I only watched the first set. So maybe this is not the case for all sets. I think your strokes look rather good. But i think you need to try to read the spin more. Many balls you miss because it seems like you read the spin wrong. I also think you win when you try to play easy and safe, and lose more when you are trying to play to difficult.

So learn to read spin and try to play safe, and hard on the correct balls.

Good luck!

This user has no status.
@JeffM

sorry to say this, but the most striking thing is you're like not moving at all, its almost like you're sitting on a chair, or feet glued... I think i've said this from your last videos... I've seen you drill on other videos, so you have good basic techniques, and understand spin. But in TT you also have to MOVE ! Honestly its the worst video I've seen of you playing a match, and I remember watching a few other ones.

if the girl is playing in your racket or near, its ok, you can attack or block the ball and make nice shots. (although its a high quality shot, you miss), when it is needed that you make those small step or body adjustment, you NEVER make them and you miss. and whenever the ball is a bit far from you, you are very slow to get to the ball.

You're young but you look that you play like a veteran. Maybe you should drink coffee, or Redbull. Or maybe you were too kind because you're facing a girl ?? or you had a sleepless night just before ? or you smoked marijuana before the match ? Do you sweat when playing ? and maybe you should tchooooo to pump yourself, i think it would help. You have to put much more energy when you play. Else you'll always play like this. We can talk later about the correct technique to do FH loop, short receive or whatever, but if you don't make the efforts to move more, i don't think it would make more difference to the end result.

BTW she was often receiving with a low push with some backspin. You can't loop those balls just with the arm. You really have to use your legs, be in position early, (and brush the ball). Its possible to do good blocking or play still decent BH without using the legs, but it's impossible to do a FH drive against backspin without using the legs and without playing more dynamically.

I don't want to be harsh, I know you like TT and you're a regular poster, I believe IF you realize and DECIDE that TT is a sport, and that you need to move, THEN you will be able to move and you will be playing much much much better very quickly because you already have some technique.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Cheers.

You don't seem to have a desire to play with energy and to impose your game - as TWI pointed out, you are too young to play this way, but if you want to, then maybe stick SP or LP on one side of your racket. Maybe it is because you haven't practiced in a while or maybe you have but something else is going on. In any case, you have to be able to play with the intent of consistently posing problems for your opponent.

You should mostly do this by first preparing to attack any ball that comes long by getting into position to play it, especially with your forehand but sometimes with your backhand depending on your overall game. Too often, you are getting a predictable long push but you are not fighting to get into position and loop.

You also haven't trained against poor returns of your serve enough - this happens to lots of players, but it is tied to what Lula said about not reading spin. You have to always know your spin, know what the opponent did, and then figure out where on the ball to hit to play it properly. Sometimes you are pushing sidespin balls as if they are backspin and popping them up, which works when players have bad strokes but doesn't work when a player is well practiced. Then when you get a pop up, you are not attacking the right point on the ball and are sometimes putting it into the net. Some of it is also footwork related as you do not aggressively get into position.

Try to work on pivot and cross. Not because you want to play all forehands, but because you want to naturally step into position when you get a weak ball and kill it. Even me as a backhand player had train my pivot for this reason. Not every ball will come where you want it even if it is coming towards you, so if you work on getting into position to play a strong shot, this will raise your level quite a bit faster. I also don't think it is too hard because you are getting lots of opportunities.

Also your forehand stroke technique is wrong. I can explain in more detail later but it is too vertical. It should be more helicopter and less windmill.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
JeffM the ladies Man said:
I played my third pennant today...

First singles, I played against a long pips shakehander. Would really appreciate some pointers / feedback if you guys can have a look at the match and point me to the right direction.
Cheers.

Look at where her points won or lost. GAME1.

She lost 3 points directly from your serve. She lost 6 from her failed attacks, and TWO from your topspin heavy slow ball.

This SCREAMS "Let her swing !!!" louder than Edward Munch could ever say.

You do not look very inclined nor very high percentage in executing the heavy slow topspin shot. That is almost a guaranteed winner if you could do it when you want... and it is an easy shot to setup vs her.

Easy tactic for now is to play ball a little to her middle a little high and let her hand herself... occasionally set up a long underspin to loop heavy and slow.

She directly won any points from her block of any attack you landed that wasn't slow and heavy. If you attack fast, it better be very wide or to her middle.

This user has no status.
@NL

I think you asked the other day a question about FH countertopspin at the table

I practised it yesterday with my coach doing multiball.

the key points are :

- good posture and balance . as long as your knees don't hurt too much, lower your body, and keep your upper body bent forward.
- make a very short stroke. you don't need to do a big swing
- don't put power, the incoming ball already has speed. Focus instead on timing it off the bounce with a closed racket angle
- stay relaxed
- put your own spin, brush the ball. Use the wrist and index finger at contact. It will give safety to the shot. if you flat hit it, the risk of missing is too high
- if you want to go down the line don't aim for the end of the table but the middle to get more safety

BH side, its pretty much the same.

I can post the video if you like

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
First of all, thank you so much guys for giving some time and having a look at my video to help me out!
I will try to address each of you.

I only watched the first set. So maybe this is not the case for all sets. I think your strokes look rather good. But i think you need to try to read the spin more. Many balls you miss because it seems like you read the spin wrong. I also think you win when you try to play easy and safe, and lose more when you are trying to play to difficult.

So learn to read spin and try to play safe, and hard on the correct balls.

Good luck!

Thanks Lula, I do come into the game with the mindset to play safe. Yes, I need to focus more on reading the spin correctly. I was playing a long pips player before, and that really messed up my mind. Also, this time is my first time not having my friend as a coach, so things are left on my own.

@JeffM

sorry to say this, but the most striking thing is you're like not moving at all, its almost like you're sitting on a chair, or feet glued... I think i've said this from your last videos... I've seen you drill on other videos, so you have good basic techniques, and understand spin. But in TT you also have to MOVE ! Honestly its the worst video I've seen of you playing a match, and I remember watching a few other ones.

if the girl is playing in your racket or near, its ok, you can attack or block the ball and make nice shots. (although its a high quality shot, you miss), when it is needed that you make those small step or body adjustment, you NEVER make them and you miss. and whenever the ball is a bit far from you, you are very slow to get to the ball.

You're young but you look that you play like a veteran. Maybe you should drink coffee, or Redbull. Or maybe you were too kind because you're facing a girl ?? or you had a sleepless night just before ? or you smoked marijuana before the match ? Do you sweat when playing ? and maybe you should tchooooo to pump yourself, i think it would help. You have to put much more energy when you play. Else you'll always play like this. We can talk later about the correct technique to do FH loop, short receive or whatever, but if you don't make the efforts to move more, i don't think it would make more difference to the end result.

BTW she was often receiving with a low push with some backspin. You can't loop those balls just with the arm. You really have to use your legs, be in position early, (and brush the ball). Its possible to do good blocking or play still decent BH without using the legs, but it's impossible to do a FH drive against backspin without using the legs and without playing more dynamically.

I don't want to be harsh, I know you like TT and you're a regular poster, I believe IF you realize and DECIDE that TT is a sport, and that you need to move, THEN you will be able to move and you will be playing much much much better very quickly because you already have some technique.

Thank you for your honest opinion Takkyu_wa_inochi!
You are right. I was unable to sleep the night before, despite sleeping at my regular time. I often have the trouble of getting too nervous. It isn't that I don't want to win, it is perhaps that I want to win it too much, then I get sleepless the night before, (and tbh, the following night also, where I lost and I kept thinking why). Also, this time, I got 1 hour of warming up prior to the matches, and usually I would only get 10 min to warm up, I wonder if I spent too much energy warming up and used up my energy as this is my last match of the night. Anyway, they may be reasons or excuses.
What is important is how I move on from this. Next time, I will remind myself to keep moving!

You don't seem to have a desire to play with energy and to impose your game - as TWI pointed out, you are too young to play this way, but if you want to, then maybe stick SP or LP on one side of your racket. Maybe it is because you haven't practiced in a while or maybe you have but something else is going on. In any case, you have to be able to play with the intent of consistently posing problems for your opponent.

You should mostly do this by first preparing to attack any ball that comes long by getting into position to play it, especially with your forehand but sometimes with your backhand depending on your overall game. Too often, you are getting a predictable long push but you are not fighting to get into position and loop.

You also haven't trained against poor returns of your serve enough - this happens to lots of players, but it is tied to what Lula said about not reading spin. You have to always know your spin, know what the opponent did, and then figure out where on the ball to hit to play it properly. Sometimes you are pushing sidespin balls as if they are backspin and popping them up, which works when players have bad strokes but doesn't work when a player is well practiced. Then when you get a pop up, you are not attacking the right point on the ball and are sometimes putting it into the net. Some of it is also footwork related as you do not aggressively get into position.

Try to work on pivot and cross. Not because you want to play all forehands, but because you want to naturally step into position when you get a weak ball and kill it. Even me as a backhand player had train my pivot for this reason. Not every ball will come where you want it even if it is coming towards you, so if you work on getting into position to play a strong shot, this will raise your level quite a bit faster. I also don't think it is too hard because you are getting lots of opportunities.

Also your forehand stroke technique is wrong. I can explain in more detail later but it is too vertical. It should be more helicopter and less windmill.

Thanks NextLevel, as I mention above to Takkyu_wa_inochi, there may be reasons why I appear to be lacking in energy or desire to move. I will work on having a good rest the night before but not overthinking.
Please do go into a bit more detail about the forehand. I think I was doing the forehands too vertical as I wasn't in the right position so I wasn't able to use my legs, and therefore was only 'lifting' the ball over the net.

Look at where her points won or lost. GAME1.

She lost 3 points directly from your serve. She lost 6 from her failed attacks, and TWO from your topspin heavy slow ball.

This SCREAMS "Let her swing !!!" louder than Edward Munch could ever say.

You do not look very inclined nor very high percentage in executing the heavy slow topspin shot. That is almost a guaranteed winner if you could do it when you want... and it is an easy shot to setup vs her.

Easy tactic for now is to play ball a little to her middle a little high and let her hand herself... occasionally set up a long underspin to loop heavy and slow.

She directly won any points from her block of any attack you landed that wasn't slow and heavy. If you attack fast, it better be very wide or to her middle.

Thanks Der_Echte, that is a good point about slow spinny attacks wins me more points than fast attacks. Theoretically I understand that, but I always have the tendency to like hitting them faster as it feels better. I think I will work on it.
She did miss alot in the first game. In fact, my game plan was to let her lose it with her temper. But she makes enough afterwards with low spinny loops back at me that I could not just hand her the chances. So I started looping, but I did not have a high percentage, so it did not work out.
That's a good idea to look at where she loses the points, I will try to think about it next time in between the sets and do a bit of analysis for myself, although I find it easier to do that on retrospect while watching the video.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Lol just noticed the tag from Der_Echte, "JeffM the ladies Man"
What is that about hahaha.

As Takkyu_wa_inochi correctly pointed out, I do love TT alot. As my friend went back to HK for good, I have just bought the Amicus Prime so that I can practice my strokes and footwork more conveniently. It is probably the biggest investment in my life currently haha, I am very excited about playing with it.

This user has no status.
Do stuff like
1FH 1BH
2FH 2BH
FH Middle FH Back
BH middle BH FH
Etc etc...

With your amicus it will get better

If you want to sleep early before a match maybe it will help to have a good dinner a bit earlier than usual and have a hot bath not just a shower

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Played my second tournament today. So now i have played two tournaments the last 10-12 years. I only played double. I did not play well, but we managed to win. I am somewhat to good for this level, but still fun to play double. Also difficult to play matches when you are not used to it.

Frustrating that i did not play better. Or it felt so, but maybe i played not so many fancy shots but better with placement and returns this time.

I often feel that i have a good "hit", timing, but today it was off. So it is hard to force yourself to be determined when you hit the ball. When you start to hesitate it does not go well.

But i have been sick, have not played footwork or forehand because a foot injury and have gained some weigth so maybe i played okay if we consider that.

Our training hall is amazing, great red mat, good tables and excellent light so it might be this hall that caused trouble for me. It was not so bright and the tables were very shiny so the ball dissapeared.

Do you guys have an easy time to adjust to different environments? and do you think different halls can be fast or slow?

It was fun that we won today, but i am not happy that i played somewhat bad. Do you think it is better to play badly and win or play good and lose?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi