Describe your playstyle!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
There are many generic style titles like two winged offense or something. But do you have any unique or specific styles. After playing seriously for 2 years, I generally can compete evenly with 1900 and 2000 players. But I have just realized what my own style is.

I have a very Floyd Mayweather-esque counterpunching style. I am very bh dominant. I use my bh like a boxer's jab. I generally use blocks to pin my opponent onto their bh side. This makes them very uncomfortable, and my bh generally probes for openings and weaknesses.i also find many people feel uncomfortable against my block.

When i sense a weak shot, I hit the big for loop that most people cant return. Very much how a boxer waits for the moment to throw the big right hand punch.

I rarely go for the 3rd ball aggression. I have a much more probing style looking for openings.

How do you describe your style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
This is kind of easy. Kind of difficult. Yes I agree two-wing looper is an overused, generalized style.

I am forehand dominant (because I used to play penhold). My forehand loop is very good, but more on the spinny side than fast side (after all, I used hurricane on my forehand side; I don't use Dignics or Tenergy). Backhand is mostly blocking or push. When blocking, try to move the opponent around.

When I serve, my serves are very spinny. Almost always forehand pendulum serve. At the start of a match with someone I am not familiar with, I serve heavy backspin to both the the opponent's backhand and forehand sides and see if they can return it. If they return into the net, then I make a note. If they return it fine, then I start my forehand loop attack right away. If they flip my heavy backspin, then I know they are better than me; what I do next, all bets are off.

I serve short with heavy backspin. Then when the opponents get comfortable, I serve long side-top side or long no spin to either their backhand or their elbow area. At that moment I am try to get some free points here. And once I serve long, I step away from the table because I am ready for a rally.

Again I used to be penholder so my comfort zone is close to the table. When I serve short heavy backspin, most people have no choice but to push it back so I tend to stay close to the table to loop those returns.

Return of serve, I tend to figure out what spins they like to impart on the ball. With 40+ plastic ball, most players' serves are not that spinning. I would alternate between pushing the back ball or do a short hit/semi flip stroke. The push would be slow. But the short hit return would be fast. I try to return to their backhand, elbow and forehand. Again, I am looking for their weaknesses at that point.

When I know the opponents are below my level, I just push and block and waiting for them to make mistakes. When they are also below my level, my serves are usually heavy backspin until they are comfortable with it, and then fast long side top spins. My goals are to get easy points.

When I know my opponents are at my level, I tend to serve short, heavy backspin and try to systematically attack on the third ball.

When I know my opponents are above my level, all bets are off. I mix up my serves and I mix up my serve return, and I pray.....

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
IMG_6170.jpeg

HULK SMASH style!

反 手 照 机 会 正 手 抢 分 数!
Open up with BH; Smash with FH.

NB: I've no idea which pro plays like this, if you know some pro who plays like this do share with me. Will watch some video to for self motivation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
I play quite an aggressive / deceptive serve/receive game these days and I have the full package of deceptive serves (FH pendulum, hook, heavy under/no spin, tomahawk at times) which I will just choose placements/spin/type at random. I will only stop changing if I smell weaknesses. They're all aimed mainly to confuse and get direct points or attack opportunities.

On serve receive I aim to either loop the ball if it's long and BH chiquita if it's short (except for FH short where I will either flick or sideswipe or hook the ball wide generally). Sometimes I do a sidespin chopblock kinda stroke with a flick followthrough which I term it the pushflick.

Even with opening loops I have the spinny opening loop and a fake loop on both wings.

On a good day I can force everything into just serve/receive and get all of my points there. But usually that doesn't happen. I often find myself in trouble against good blockers/defenders who can simplify the game, deal with my first attack and then win against me in the rally. I don't mind BH-BH counter rallying as I'm reasonably strong there. What I really hate is all sorts of junk nonsense balls to my middle and wide FH side (especially if they're low and short) and then switched back randomly to BH etc... My FH - BH transitioning is just trash at the moment, and I think my biggest problem is on the FH side being too big of a stroke which I'm really working on at the moment (alongside all the footwork requirements)

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
A heavily outdated close to the table 5th ball attack style is mine. I've modernized only slightly, to the extent that I also have a decent 4th ball attack option. I try to vary speed and spin level, with a penchant to step in and flathit or loopkill that 5th/4th. 2nd/3rd ball usually goes to the body, or counter to the oppo's movement if they are off-balance; 4th/5th placement is either the body or the deep angle. I especially like the sharp counterdiagonal angle - finding the wide FH with the BH, or the wide BH with a FH loop. All very, very old skool, except that the BH is less subservient now than it used to be in that style. As an impressionable youngster, I've seen a few of the greats of the day duke it out between them - Grubba, Šurbek, Kucharski, Kalinić, Vriesekoop, Secrétin, Persson, Douglas, Potton, Hilton, and especially Ulf ‘Tickan’ Carlsson. I was awed by Šurbek, but Tickan's playstyle resonated. So that's what I'm doing, a level of twelve or so lower.

I swing and hit the ball, hopefully it will land on the opponents side…

Allround with an Offensive focus. Try to get the upper hand and to attack before the opponent. Speed before spin most of the time, but always some degree of topspin. Placement is no:1 weapon. Like to make my opponent run from side to side. Hate the serve -> return -> point game, like long duels.
Push sometimes, chop block sonemetimes, but never chops.

My favorite opponent right now is an allround player with a defensive focus. I always get the the ball in return…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Topspin Drive, spin and smash. (non hulk! Working on that still .. 😊 ) definitely not the classic 2 winged looper.