Finding the perfect rubber for your game

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
Hello Table Tennis Friends,

I hope you're all enjoying your matches and constantly improving your game. I've developed a tool that might help you find the perfect rubber for your style of play.

www.blade-rubber.com is a website that asks about your personal style of play and then provides you with a suitable rubber recommendation.

I would be very pleased if some of you could take the time to test the website and give me your feedback. Your opinion is very important to me to improve this tool and to adapt it to our needs. Every recommendation rating on the website will directly influence the next persons results. We are training on an AI and we need a lot of these ratings now. So feel free to also share this page with your friends.

Here is the link: www.blade-rubber.com

I'm looking forward to your feedback and thank you in advance!

Keep on playing and see you soon!

says Spin, Spin, more spin :)
says Spin, Spin, more spin :)
Jul 2022
Hi, tried the test. Sometimes gives underrated rubbers and sometimes others

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
here is my result:
1690205109771.png

You should just put DHS H3, it is a very "safe" rubber to put on to get a lot of Asian market accuracy.
Other than that, all 3 isn't for me

This user has no status.
rubbers.png

The results are okish. At least i could go for D64/80 on bh and Mantra H on fh. But you should definitly put down a budget option and should be open about the brands that could come up as a result. I am sure you miss several.

And i would definitly would want to exclude some of these brands like butterfly...

For further development i would certainly pick different questions for fh and bh and change the results because of that. Mantra H on bh for example would a pain in the ass. And playing the BTY options on fh wouldnt work for me at all.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is worth knowing that, as long as you are not a beginner struggling to learn how to read spin, most TT rubbers that you use, you will adjust to and they will be fine for you. A player who trains will adapt their technique to the equipment they are using.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As for the site, I feel like the questions are flawed. They are too limited. Often I would want to give more than one answer to the questions.

The question about Speed or Control......Spin should be in there as well. I don't care about Speed and I don't care about control but I do care about a rubber that lets me generate good spin. Why don't I care about speed? I can generate as much speed as I want with good contact....even with a very compact stroke. Why don't I care about "ease of control" or what the site just called "control"? If I contact the ball how I want, I will control what the ball does with how I spin the ball. So what usually gets termed "control" I don't need and what usually gets termed reactive to spin, I use that to control the ball. :)

In short, the questions are too simplistic to have real benefit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Yeah, if it didn't recommend tacky rubber for you, the machine needs a hard reset.
Well I think the machine interprets control differently. I put down that i emphasize control. I feel tacky rubbers give the best control.

I think the system interprets control as softer slower rubbers

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here: I got these results once:

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.03.01 PM.png

And then these results:

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.07.36 PM.png

All of the questions in the following screen shot don't have enough options. Some of them should include the ability to choose multiple options, and most of them are just so incomplete as to not really be useful:

For question 1, there really needs to be at least 5-10 stages between beginner and advanced if you want this to reflect reality:

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.04.01 PM.png

For question 3, there should be soooooooo many more options and I think, someone who plays with decent strategy would need to be able to choose multiple options for the answer to be useful.

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.04.26 PM.png

Question 7, is there nothing between limited and not limited? I either move like Xu Xin or I move like Grandpa?

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.06.20 PM.png

Question 13, spin is particularly important to me when serving....yes or no is way to simplified. But the answer would not be no. It just also would not exactly be yes....if you know how to vary levels of spin....

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.07.07 PM.png

Question 4, my blade is none of the above.

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.05.33 PM.png

I could have done this for pretty much every single question. But no matter how you look at it, the rubbers it chose for me are all rubbers I WOULD REALLY NOT CHOOSE TO USE, even though I can use anything including a premade racket if I needed to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.05.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.05.54 PM.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Reactions: ander999
This user has no status.
Here: I got these results once:

View attachment 26003

And then these results:

View attachment 26004

All of the questions in the following screen shot don't have enough options. Some of them should include the ability to choose multiple options, and most of them are just so incomplete as to not really be useful:

For question 1, there really needs to be at least 5-10 stages between beginner and advanced if you want this to reflect reality:

View attachment 26005

For question 3, there should be soooooooo many more options and I think, someone who plays with decent strategy would need to be able to choose multiple options for the answer to be useful.

View attachment 26006

Question 7, is there nothing between limited and not limited? I either move like Xu Xin or I move like Grandpa?

View attachment 26009

Question 13, spin is particularly important to me when serving....yes or no is way to simplified. But the answer would not be no. It just also would not exactly be yes....if you know how to vary levels of spin....

View attachment 26010

Question 4, my blade is none of the above.

View attachment 26007

I could have done this for pretty much every single question. But no matter how you look at it, the rubbers it chose for me are all rubbers I WOULD REALLY NOT CHOOSE TO USE, even though I can use anything including a premade racket if I needed to.
Yep, it suggested the exact same and rubbers I would never choose.

If you have no idea about what rubber to choose I think this is a good embryo. It gave me all Chinese tacky rubbers (don’t know how to take a screen shot on my phone) and I will start trying them soon 😉😃🤣

Keep developing.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
After all this time of trying rubbers, I still don't know what type of rubber exactly brings out my potential. I think this computer system doesn't quite capture the nuance of what I need.

On the FH, I'm fairly certain that I want something catapulty, tacky, hard, spinny, and arcy. So boosted H3 or GTX works quite well for me.

On bh I'm not quite sure what archetype of rubber suits me. I've been playing pretty well with boosted Rhyzen ZGR as of late, it has the speed, grip, tackiness that I like.

Would G1 or MXP be better with more speed and bounciness? not sure

Or would a slower control rubber be better? not sure either.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Really, after the stage, the level, where you need something that won't cause you to spray the ball all over the place, once you are able to read and adapt to the incoming spin to a certain degree, then the rest is really personal choice and what you like.

I still like medium soft rubbers. I like Rasanter 48, I like Tenergy 05. I am thinking about trying Gewo Nexxus EL 48 SuperSelect based on how ander999 described it. That rubber seems like it would be exactly what I like to use.

I have a friend who has an amazing amount of power because he is also a pro tennis player even though he is not a high level TT player. If it was just about rally skills, looping ability, he would be about 2300. But because of serve/receive skills, he is probably about 1800. He also does not play matches almost ever. But, despite how much power he has behind his strokes, he still likes T05fx because of how it feels when he plays and he can do whatever he wants with the ball in mid-distance rallying. He has a massive lefty-hookshot. I have seen him rally with 2300-2500 level players where, when they started digging in, I could not really keep the ball on the table well and he had no trouble rallying with them. But he likes soft rubbers because of the feel, that big sound and how much you feel the blade on impact, even with good tangential contact.

Everyone likes different things. Something around the hardness/feel of T05 is what I like on FH although I like T05fx just as much as T05 (maybe a little more) on BH. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Hello Table Tennis Friends,

I hope you're all enjoying your matches and constantly improving your game. I've developed a tool that might help you find the perfect rubber for your style of play.

www.blade-rubber.com is a website that asks about your personal style of play and then provides you with a suitable rubber recommendation.

I would be very pleased if some of you could take the time to test the website and give me your feedback. Your opinion is very important to me to improve this tool and to adapt it to our needs. Every recommendation rating on the website will directly influence the next persons results. We are training on an AI and we need a lot of these ratings now. So feel free to also share this page with your friends.

Here is the link: www.blade-rubber.com

I'm looking forward to your feedback and thank you in advance!

Keep on playing and see you soon!
I got a roundell wtf