For those over 30yo, what could you have done differently?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I recently had a bad knee injury 🩼 due to dominant FH style. Age is catching up on me 😆.

I have been off TT for 4 weeks. During the downtime, it got me pondering - would I have changed my game style 10 years ago if I knew my knee gets so screwed?

What about you? What would you have changed 10 years ago? It could be tactic, style or equipment 🏓

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
1. I would be more serious about warming up before and streching after training
2. I would get some advice from different coaches/players about backhand loop instead of keep guessing with my coach how I should play it. That could change my style a little bit.
3. I would start playing tt earlier
4. I would spend more time on physical training, not only actually playing tt.

This user has no status.
I actually wished i would have used my brain earlier. I simply played in my earlier days. Unstructured, no training goals and nothing to look up to. I mean i didnt even watched the pros back then.
I assume that was the some kind of tt-midlife crysis that forced me to stop playing this sport.

Besides that i dont have any issues just the slight regret that i didnt start playing more serious earlier. But either way i had and still have a lot of fun relearning TT and striving to become a better player.

Reactions: z0uLess and Fnub
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Would have found kneesovertoesguy much earlier in my life and also eaten a lot more protein (being vegan did a lot of damage to my health and body). In general, most of the other things I did reasonably well. I am still learning stuff now like how to brace my core...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I would have gained 50 lbs or 25kg of weight... my footwork and movement to the ball is off the charts compared to my weight 10 yrs ago.
The funny thing is that this is kinda true for me too but in a weird way. Coincidence or causation? I suspect coincidence, but I have made a deliberate decision to reduce cardio and gain muscle, though it clearly isn't lean muscle lol....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Honestly I don't think I could have done anything differently growing up in the states. I learned TT at an early age and only played friends and family. There were no other avenues at least very few. As I got older I played lots of other sports, baseball, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf..... I went through the natural progression of what was popular with my age group. I didn't rediscover TT until after 30 when my body could no longer play the other more demanding sports. I always wished I had professional training when I was younger but there just wasn't many opportunities plus I was too busy doing the other stuff. However I strongly believe that my background in TT was a great cross training sport that made me a better player in other sports.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The funny thing is that this is kinda true for me too but in a weird way. Coincidence or causation? I suspect coincidence, but I have made a deliberate decision to reduce cardio and gain muscle, though it clearly isn't lean muscle lol....
re: lean muscle, do you mean blubber ???? :LOL:Actually this weight -watching can be a very tricky thing. Do to shit weather and lazy biatch syndrome i saw myself spending a lot of time on my recliner . After 2 months I had to consider buying new undies because the ones i had felt real tight.
Then I stood on the scale and WTF - I lost 2 kg.
Explanation: You can loose weight but you might loose many kg of valuable muscle mass but gain in its place many more in fat, and fat is much lighter than muscle. 😂
Ah well, club night again today...................

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
If you guys are having knee problems in your 30s.....time to start doing some knee strengthening exercises. Look into "kneesovertoes" guy on social media. He has a simple 7 step routine that you can do from the comfort of your own home (or on your 15 minute break at work) to bulletproof your knees.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
If you guys are having knee problems in your 30s.....time to start doing some knee strengthening exercises. Look into "kneesovertoes" guy on social media. He has a simple 7 step routine that you can do from the comfort of your own home (or on your 15 minute break at work) to bulletproof your knees.
this video isn't completely a home workout but you can learn a lot of the basic concepts:

For example, they use that little thing where they can hook their feet into the weight and exercise their tibialis....you can do this at home all you need is a wall to lean against:

(hint, the further away your ankles are from the wall, the more difficult the exercise. Adjust as necessary. In Ben's book, he recommends 25 raises against the wall like that, then turn around, put your hands against the wall, bend your knees so they are over your toes (the more you bend the harder the workout) and do 25 calf raises. Then switch back and do another 25 tibialis raises.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
A lot of our injury is related to genetics. For example, Lebron was blessed with good genes and good luck. He has not had any bad injuries. Michael Porter Jr just has a bad back starting at a young age. So I am not sure if you could have done anything differently.

For example, I am 45 and I got a back surgery done at 39. My dad also had back surgery when he was in his 30's.

Now, I am going to say something semi-serious and semi-joking: maybe you should have picked up long pips ten years ago! Or maybe you should bring long pips into your arsenal now.

• Haha
Reactions: Fnub and blahness
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
A lot of our injury is related to genetics. For example, Lebron was blessed with good genes and good luck. He has not had any bad injuries. Michael Porter Jr just has a bad back starting at a young age. So I am not sure if you could have done anything differently.

For example, I am 45 and I got a back surgery done at 39. My dad also had back surgery when he was in his 30's.

Now, I am going to say something semi-serious and semi-joking: maybe you should have picked up long pips ten years ago! Or maybe you should bring long pips into your arsenal now.
IMG_6757.jpeg

Pips side of the game is a pathway to some abilities many deemed unnatural.

says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
Long pips close to the table is not a style of playing, it's a way of life!😁

• Haha
Reactions: JJ Ng and blahness