hard chinese tacky rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Hi ,

I have one question.

I want to buy 2 sheets of chinese tacky rubber (both in 2.2 mm)

I have trouble with choosing sponge hardness.

They have like 40-42 and 45 sponge hardnesses and I don't know what to choose.

I read a lot of topics but I dont know what to think - everyone say different things.

Question - which hardness will be good for blocking , lifting backspin , short game , third ball kill ?

This user has no status.
I'm FAR from an expert but I do love Chinese tacky rubbers with hard sponges and have used them for awhile. Honestly, in Chinese style sponges you won't feel much difference in the hardness listed unless you're 1800-2200 or higher. In theory, the harder sponge should be better for the short game and may increase ball feel while blocking, as well as reduce the effects of backspin. The softer sponge may help you generate more power on third ball attack since you'll have to generate your own power. All of this is minute and the bulk of the decision is up to your personal preference. Which particular rubbers are you looking at?

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
I used that in 44-45 and loved it. Plays better on flexible blades, that's for sure. If you have good technique it really isn't that difficult to lift backspin, 999T doesn't have an immensely high throw angle so you'll have to open your blade a little. Couple that with a fast swing and you'll be just fine vs backspin.

This user has no status.
I should probably reiterate this as it has been stated before - 999T on factory sponge is slow unless you really have good technique and swing hard. If you want something more usable for mere mortals (like myself), you can get a softer and more lively Euro-sponge and glue the 999T topsheet on the sponge. Cole at colestt.com does this with Globe 999t, which I am currently using, and it has all the advantages of 999t with extra power and dwell time of Euro sponges.