Have I gone to "advanced" to fast?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
So I've been reading a bit about equipment for beginner players and the more I read the more I think I bought to advanced rubbers for me.
Started 1.5 years ago with: Stiga allround offensive with Mark V on backhand and Mendo on forehand.
Last 6 months: Primorac off- with Rakza 7 FH and Rakza 7 soft on BH

Personally I feel like I play better with this equipment then the last one but I also upped my training sessions to almost 5 times a week which has improved me more then rubbers have I guess... But for my long term skill should I go back to something more beginner friendly?

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Should be fine. I've been playing as long as you have and only play twice a week. I don't have any problems with controlling my equipment (which is slightly faster) in match situations. In my last match, I was at deuce in the 5th and hit four topspins in a row on the table.

I think you can learn technique just as well with your current equipment. It might even force you to correct your technique more as it is less forgiving and "weird strokes" will have a lesser chance of finding their way on the table.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I've been reading a bit about equipment for beginner players and the more I read the more I think I bought to advanced rubbers for me.
Started 1.5 years ago with: Stiga allround offensive with Mark V on backhand and Mendo on forehand.
Last 6 months: Primorac off- with Rakza 7 FH and Rakza 7 soft on BH

Personally I feel like I play better with this equipment then the last one but I also upped my training sessions to almost 5 times a week which has improved me more then rubbers have I guess... But for my long term skill should I go back to something more beginner friendly?

It depends as every player is different. I think you are fine. I will provide my logic if you are interested.

For me, the blade is the first issue in deciding whether a player has gone to fast equipment too early and not the rubber, though both are important.

The blade mostly controls flat speed and dwell time. The rubber can affect both flat speed and dwell time as well, but is most important in terms of how it reacts to spin.

The reason I find the blade important is that it is the part of the racket in contact with the hand first and foremost. The sensations from the blade inform feeling. Slower blades also hold the ball longer and require more effort to get rid of the ball, and this encourages you to spin more than hit as newer players are too enamored with speed and a blade that doesn't reward hitting helps them get to spinning faster.

As soon as one is beginning to spin competently and consistently, one can upgrade the rubbers to something faster. OFF- and ALL+ are not so far apart especially if both are all wood with good feeling.

One should go to a faster blade if ans when one is convinced that one is too consistent in their short game control and rallying and is unhappy that the amount of time one is holding the ball on quick blocks and counters is hurting his ability to play against faster opponents. Or one can do so because it makes it easier to play at one's preferred playing distance, while always keeping in mind that all points start at the table.

So I think you are doing fine if you can loop as good rubbers encourage you to topspin more. Your blade is also not too fast.

I tend to discourage learning players who are adults from using composites as they distort feedback while learning and can encourage bad habits like not hitting the ball consistently in the center of the racket or enjoying contact that gets rid of the ball too fast. But when an adult has good technique and knows what they are looking for, anything is possible. The fast countering advantages of faster blades come with control issues in short game. Composites reduce vibrations that you may not want when you swing hard and also help keep the blade thin (fast all wood blades are usually thicker). Those are good things when you know what you are doing or need to play further back and swing harder. But as a learner who needs to develop a close to the table and short game, these are not good things as the sensation on soft shots is reduced and steepens the learning curve.

That's my view based my experiences and observations. The better you get at spinning and learning to hold the ball on your racket, the faster you can go. But not so fast that all the soft shots are negatively affected.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That is a good post by NextLevel.

Merre5, if you are using a Primorac Off-, that is a fine blade for developing your game. Stick to that.

How do you feel about the rubbers? Do you feel like you can control them and use them to spin the ball?

Sent from GroundZero from my NanoWeaponOfMassDestruction

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Pundits will say this, the nut cases will say that, and Der_Echte will top them all with THIS silliness.

I strongly believe one can grow and play with a wide range of suitable equipment.

Your equipment is certainly suitable for your style and growing your game.

Sleep tight and don't let the EJ bugs bite.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Pundits will say this, the nut cases will say that, and Der_Echte will top them all with THIS silliness.

I strongly believe one can grow and play with a wide range of suitable equipment.

Your equipment is certainly suitable for your style and growing your game.

Sleep tight and don't let the EJ bugs bite.

If you're a kid, sure. Seriously, you are right. The real enemy is a lack of coaching. But OFF+ carbon blades are a close second. Everything else is on a case by case basis depending on how you want to play, but too many people use pro level setups or faster than pro level setups with no understanding of what the pros are trying to do and at a level where even pros did not use them.

I have been trying to teach a guy who has been playing less than a year and uses an ALC OFF blade and Rasant Grip how to do relaxed loops and slow down. It's been a painful process.

Have a friend who used all kinds of composite OFF/OFF+ carbon blades. Managed to con him into using one of my Samsonov Force Pro blue editions by exchanging it for one of the carbon monsters. After a couple of weeks, he voluntarily gave me the other carbon monster to help him sell it.

For me,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Hi thanks for the reply. The rubbers feel good. But with my experience it might be difficult to say. But I'm consistently turning long backspin services and my forehand loop play is usually better than most in my skill level. Still having issues with faster play but it's more about footwork and missing the ball completely because I'm not used to strong loop vs loop play.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi thanks for the reply. The rubbers feel good. But with my experience it might be difficult to say. But I'm consistently turning long backspin services and my forehand loop play is usually better than most in my skill level. Still having issues with faster play but it's more about footwork and missing the ball completely because I'm not used to strong loop vs loop play.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Everything in this sport takes time. While loop vs loop play is fun, most of table tennis is really about serve, serve receive, third ball, fourth ball and fifth ball. Your focus should be on having strategies for these first five shots and making loop vs loop play a 50-50 event. If your setup is hurting you in the first five shots, then loop vs loop play will make little difference even if you get good at it. If it is helping you, then you will usually enter loop vs loop play rarely and if at all with advantage. Also, there is nothing wrong with struggling with better players. That is part of the growth curve.

These are all normal things and I hope I wasn't too annoying by repeating them. But issues are how we grow in table tennis and every time you go up a level, many things you do well are no longer good and have to get better to match that level.
If I play us 1700 level player, you will think I can't miss, then I play 2300 player and I can't make a shot.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Another good, solid post by NextLevel.

When you say this:

The rubbers feel good. But with my experience it might be difficult to say. But I'm consistently turning long backspin services and my forehand loop play is usually better than most in my skill level.

I am assuming you mean that you can open with topspin against long backspin. That is a decent indicator that the rubbers may be fine for you.

Handling faster paced random placement is an issue for training. The rubber won't have too much to do with that.

How do different spins on serves affect you? How is your return of serve? How about when someone loops with decently heavy spin? Do you find that easy to return or do you find the spin of a heavy loop cause the ball to jump off your racket and go long?

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Well no it's not really like it's the spin catching me offguard and placing it in the net (if i'm not missreading the spin ofc). It's probably more about me hitting it bad like on the top of the blade or something.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Okay. You did describe two versions of misreading the spin and one of them may have to do with how grippy your rubbers are.

How often do you net heavy backspin?

How about loops? When someone else is looping heavy, how often is your return noticeably too high and long? How often does it feel like the ball jumps off your racket where you did not anticipate the kick on your rubber?

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone