Help! Table tennis tournaments

says I'm wondering if Joola maxxx 500 fh and calibra tour m...
Jan 2014
Hey guys!
I have my first tournament on the 23-11-14, and i just wanted to have tips on what to do before and during the tournament---anything from training to eating, and random aspects that could improve my chances to shine at the tournament :)
The help is greatly appreciated
Pingpongin'

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hey guys!
I have my first tournament on the 23-11-14, and i just wanted to have tips on what to do before and during the tournament---anything from training to eating, and random aspects that could improve my chances to shine at the tournament :)
The help is greatly appreciated
Pingpongin'

Ask people that don't seem busy if they will coach you, sometimes they will!
Don't eat too much right before a match or else you will get a cramp during play—I learned that one from experience :)
Drink a lot of water
maybe read the book I have been posting all over this forum: get your game face on like the pros (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Game-Fac...&keywords=get+your+game+face+on+like+the+pros) which is about mental training FOR TABLE TENNIS!
Get a good night's sleep
If you train too much the day before you might feel a little sore the next day which probably isn't great the day of the tournament.

Good Luck!

This user has no status.
1. Do expect too much from it, it is, after all, your first tourney. Any expectation will put pressure on yourself and thats only gonna stiffen up your body. Not ideal for TT.
2. Dont do any sort of physical training 4 days before the tourney. Might result in muscle inflammation/lacid build up if you dont do your proper stretches. Noone likes that.
3. When playing, it is important you dont think about winning, but think how NOT TO LOSE. Close relations to point 1.
4. Use your head when playing. Think of your strategies before serving. DO NOT serve straight away once you get the ball.
5. Have a court-side coach. They usually see problems with both you and your opponent better than you.
6. If you have a plethora of services, you can go through them 1 by 1 in the first sets in a match, find out which one give them the hardest time and build your strategies around that serve. (If you have one of those "Kill-shot" serves, it will be a good idea to save them crucial points in late sets.)
(This point is based on the assumption that youre not playing against highly experienced/pro players. Not going to work very well against them.)
7. Not sure about the rules for your tourney, but you are usually allowed a 60 Sec time-out per match. Don't be afraid to use it and use it wisely. Good time to use those are when you are losing a whole bunch of points in quick succession.
8. Towel breaks and shoelace tying times are good at giving you a moment to clear your head/ cook up strategies.

Also, try to get as hyped up during the match as you can. Shout! Get loud! I usually move faster and play with more confidence when I do that. Its gonna take a toll on the opponent mentally as well.

Lastly, just enjoy the matches! Thats the best part of the game!

I play league matches week in week out for 2 years now. And these are my experiences. it worked for me and I hope its gonna work for you too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pingpongin'
Jan 2014
1. Do expect too much from it, it is, after all, your first tourney. Any expectation will put pressure on yourself and thats only gonna stiffen up your body. Not ideal for TT.
2. Dont do any sort of physical training 4 days before the tourney. Might result in muscle inflammation/lacid build up if you dont do your proper stretches. Noone likes that.
3. When playing, it is important you dont think about winning, but think how NOT TO LOSE. Close relations to point 1.
4. Use your head when playing. Think of your strategies before serving. DO NOT serve straight away once you get the ball.
5. Have a court-side coach. They usually see problems with both you and your opponent better than you.
6. If you have a plethora of services, you can go through them 1 by 1 in the first sets in a match, find out which one give them the hardest time and build your strategies around that serve. (If you have one of those "Kill-shot" serves, it will be a good idea to save them crucial points in late sets.)
(This point is based on the assumption that youre not playing against highly experienced/pro players. Not going to work very well against them.)
7. Not sure about the rules for your tourney, but you are usually allowed a 60 Sec time-out per match. Don't be afraid to use it and use it wisely. Good time to use those are when you are losing a whole bunch of points in quick succession.
8. Towel breaks and shoelace tying times are good at giving you a moment to clear your head/ cook up strategies.

Also, try to get as hyped up during the match as you can. Shout! Get loud! I usually move faster and play with more confidence when I do that. Its gonna take a toll on the opponent mentally as well.

Lastly, just enjoy the matches! Thats the best part of the game!

I play league matches week in week out for 2 years now. And these are my experiences. it worked for me and I hope its gonna work for you too :)
Wow, great i will surely use these tips, thank you a lot

Jan 2014
Hey guys, what should i bring to the tournament... of course shoes, paddle, towel, etc
Is there anything special i should bring?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Hey guys, what should i bring to the tournament... of course shoes, paddle, towel, etc
Is there anything special i should bring?

take something to nibble on.
You get really hungry(or maybe its me,but i got hungry in my first competition and learnt a lesson thereafter.)